Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

K-3 Marriage Visa to the U.S.

ExpatDave

If you get stuck, this site might help http://www.visajourney.com/

I really like that site. I have been a member since I started and they a great resource.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although not quite the same because mine was fiancee visa, just hop with all sincerity that

everything works out completely.

The reason is the nasty little form I-864. Fundamentally by signing this form you are

guaranteeing the U.S. Federal Government that your wife will not become a financial burden on the

the government, and that this "little obligation" lasts until she becomes a U.S. citizen, or she has

10 years of employment credit under the social security system. Even divorce does not disolve

you of this obligation.

One way the government would get you on the hook is the simple example of the two of you divorce,

she can't find work or only part-time work and goes on welfare. The U.S. government, on the basis

of the I-864, goes after you to reimburse any welfare money.

Well, of course, that's just the surface level obligation, and I imagine if you love your wife and feel

its a strong marriage, you don't worry about that too much.

But then consider, if somehow, (heaven's forbid) she got in an accident and was comatose, or

in an accident and incapacitated for a long period of time. The U.S. government would expect you

to reimburse for any care from government supported funds.

Even dicier, is if you have young children. Lets say the child is 5. That means, you are not merely

obligated for the child until age 18 as is typical, but until they have 10 years- of social security credit

work, or become citizens. -- So you might be on the hook for such a child until they are in their

30's.

Finally, although the I-864 is a Federal government form, some states with alimony, use the existence of the

I-864 as an indication of how a divorce judge should proceed in alimony and child support cases.

Not actually writing for you-- as you have already been married for a while, seem to be doing all the paper work

correctly, etc. Just using this as a cautionary tale to anybody planning on doing either a fiancee visa or a marriage visa to

think long and hard about I-864 and its many year's of obligation.

Good luck.

P.S-- although hers was quite a few years ago, and in Russia, not Thailand, highly advise staying at nearby hotel the day of the

embassy appointment. and eat a good breakfast. What is supposed to be a 9 a.m. appointment can actually start 5 hours or so late.

Also, (and again this is just based on Russia and several years ago, but prepare her for the fact that while she is waiting, some girl there

is likely to be denied, and hence is bursting out in tears, which can be quite unsettling.

I imagined that the actual appointment would be at a desk in front of a member of the consulate, in an office, but in fact, the area where they were interviewed was more like a public bus station, with windows for the consul people-- just like you might see at a governent

drivers license facility.

Hope your wife's is more private, but that's they way it was 10 years ago in Moscow.

Seeking attractive Thai girls with high morals, scruples,and

redeeming social values --- however fuzzy on the morals and redeeming

social values if she's really hot and a nyphomanic."

It is a bit of of risk. I looked long and hard at that

Although not quite the same because mine was fiancee visa, just hop with all sincerity that

everything works out completely.

The reason is the nasty little form I-864. Fundamentally by signing this form you are

guaranteeing the U.S. Federal Government that your wife will not become a financial burden on the

the government, and that this "little obligation" lasts until she becomes a U.S. citizen, or she has

10 years of employment credit under the social security system. Even divorce does not disolve

you of this obligation.

One way the government would get you on the hook is the simple example of the two of you divorce,

she can't find work or only part-time work and goes on welfare. The U.S. government, on the basis

of the I-864, goes after you to reimburse any welfare money.

Well, of course, that's just the surface level obligation, and I imagine if you love your wife and feel

its a strong marriage, you don't worry about that too much.

But then consider, if somehow, (heaven's forbid) she got in an accident and was comatose, or

in an accident and incapacitated for a long period of time. The U.S. government would expect you

to reimburse for any care from government supported funds.

Even dicier, is if you have young children. Lets say the child is 5. That means, you are not merely

obligated for the child until age 18 as is typical, but until they have 10 years- of social security credit

work, or become citizens. -- So you might be on the hook for such a child until they are in their

30's.

Finally, although the I-864 is a Federal government form, some states with alimony, use the existence of the

I-864 as an indication of how a divorce judge should proceed in alimony and child support cases.

Not actually writing for you-- as you have already been married for a while, seem to be doing all the paper work

correctly, etc. Just using this as a cautionary tale to anybody planning on doing either a fiancee visa or a marriage visa to

think long and hard about I-864 and its many year's of obligation.

Good luck.

P.S-- although hers was quite a few years ago, and in Russia, not Thailand, highly advise staying at nearby hotel the day of the

embassy appointment. and eat a good breakfast. What is supposed to be a 9 a.m. appointment can actually start 5 hours or so late.

Also, (and again this is just based on Russia and several years ago, but prepare her for the fact that while she is waiting, some girl there

is likely to be denied, and hence is bursting out in tears, which can be quite unsettling.

I imagined that the actual appointment would be at a desk in front of a member of the consulate, in an office, but in fact, the area where they were interviewed was more like a public bus station, with windows for the consul people-- just like you might see at a governent

drivers license facility.

Hope your wife's is more private, but that's they way it was 10 years ago in Moscow.

It is a very tough decision. Two things a bout the paper. I know my wife, and if we ever got a divorce, she would bee line it back to Thailand. She really never wanted to go to the U.S., but is doing it to be with me. I am hoping that we can get ourselves financially set so we can come back to Thailand and retire. Also, it is quite possible that she will make more money than I am in the states.

Also, if you read the back there is option 4 that lets you off the hook...lets just say that snorkeling trip to the Bermudas might come into play :GoldenSmile1:

To update the board,

We went to the interview and, of course, I was not even allowed in the interview. Everything is fine except they want more information on my 2010 Taxes. Should be just a few forms they need. My wife is going to drop them off this week.

So the Wife is going to get her Visa today. Took a little more than 5 months and about 900 dollars for fees, but finally did it.

Total time 157 days.

Now we just have do it all over again in 2 years in the U.S.

Hope some of this information helps.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Do you know what are the set parameters a Thai Lady needs for a Tourist Visa to America?

We are also looking into a Marriage Visa.

Thank You,

Bob33065

Hello,

Do you know what are the set parameters a Thai Lady needs for a Tourist Visa to America?

We are also looking into a Marriage Visa.

Thank You,

Bob33065

Usually it's nearly impossible to get a tourist visa for a Thai girl to travel to USA. Either marry in Thailand and do a K3 visa - or do a K1 visa and marry in america.

The process can take 3- 6 months or more.

good luck - start with the form I-130

Condo for Rent starting Feb 2013 @ View Talay 1B 8,000 Bt long term.

https://sites.google.com/site/viewtalay1b/home

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

• 1 year later...

I haven't been on the webite for long while. After reading some great TopicsI may have to change that.

Anyway, wanted to give an update. My Wife and I been in the States for 2 years....time flys. We just got the" conditional" status removed from her visa. It was actually pretty easy. Took about 10 minutes to do the Biometrics. She is now set for 10 years. She is working and driving a car. She has adapted to America pretty well.

Nice to see you back Dave :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see you back Dave :)

Thanks, my friend. Hopefully, I will back soon to cause more trouble.

If you sign an 864. Your on the hook until the day she naturalized as a citizen. Doesn't matter if you get divorced and she gets remarried. Tread carefully.

• 1 year later...

Agreed. 864 is no joke. You really need to be sure before taking the leap.

• 3 months later...

Actually the I-864 is a paper tiger. It is rarely enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the I-864 is a paper tiger. It is rarely enforced.

I think you're confusing it with the I-134.

The I-864 stands on a firm legal foundation and has been used and enforced, by federal/state governments as well as some beneficiaries.

• 3 weeks later...

There has been only 1 case I can think of, out of New York where the 864 has been used.

20 years of working immigration both in private practice and the government, and I can tell you that the 864 is a joke.

The legal standard of a beneficiary to use that as a basis for legal action is high.

Very High.

Archived