Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Night Wish Group 7th Anniversary Party | Add your Text or Event here

Daveo

Canterbury Tales Cafe

Daveo
I made my first visit yesterday and ate a cheeseburger with chips. I was very unimpressed and didn't finish the meal.

Sorry to hear that Schubser, can I ask what you did'nt like about it, we use 100% beef, real chips now, not frozen ones, >>>???

Schubser
Sorry to hear that Schubser, can I ask what you did'nt like about it, we use 100% beef, real chips now, not frozen ones, >>>???

Sure you can:

The chips were deep brown, but almost raw at the inside. It seemed like they were fried at a to high temperature for a to short time. The onions on the burger were dripping greasy but the meat dry. I didn't like the taste, sorry to say that. Don't take me wrong, I don't expect for 120 Baht (not sure if I'm right with the price) the same kind of burger I would get at a much more expensive restaurant. But even for that low price it wasn't good.

Daveo
Sure you can:

The chips were deep brown, but almost raw at the inside. It seemed like they were fried at a to high temperature for a to short time. The onions on the burger were dripping greasy but the meat dry. I didn't like the taste, sorry to say that. Don't take me wrong, I don't expect for 120 Baht (not sure if I'm right with the price) the same kind of burger I would get at a much more expensive restaurant. But even for that low price it wasn't good.

I appreciate your comments, this is often the only way I can find out this sort of thing, I will look into it, all the best Dave.

markus_welby

As mentioned to Dave via email a couple of weeks ago, the beef stew I had at Canterbury tales in early September was possibly the finest tasting stew I have had anywhere, at any time. Given the price was incredibly cheap, to say I was impressed is an understatement. I visit Pattaya in 2 weeks, and one thing I'm looking forward to doing (after things slow down!) is popping into Canterbury Tales to swap a few books on LOS and get some more of that amazingly awesome beef stew.

bob1

I will be hover on the 17th for 3 weeks and staying at the Canterbury Tales 4 2weeks, I am looking forward to meeting the staff and hope to meet up with members of this forum,

I will be give a report on the stay later,

:GoldenSmile1: party time

Daveo

Look forward to meeting you Bob, any questions am ready to answer.

See you soon Dave

timorno

I love the CT, the food is good value for the price and it got a nice neighbourhood cafe atmosphere... Just the staff is a bit weired sometimes. One funny anectode: My mate ordered breakfast nr.3 for 65 baht... after a few bites he realized that they served him brekkie nr.1 but without the toast and OJ... he told the staff that they brought him the wrong item and said that its no problem, no need to make a new one, he'll just eat this one instead...

What did the staff do?? Took away his checkbin and returned it with the more expensive breakfast nr.1 on the bill...

Priceless!!!

Daveo

Dont you just love it when they do that...............

timorno
Dont you just love it when they do that...............

I love those "Amazing Thailand" moments... you can't be angry at them, it is just congenital stupidity...

Daveo

Yes the training does tgake a while............................

clownworker777

To all who read this thread, CT is an outstanding value for the money! Sure, you can find better at the Ritz Carlton, but you will pay for it. I stayed with Dave for one month last year and have no complaints whatsoever. Also, I know from talking to Dave that he loses money on his famous breakfasts. From what I gathered, they use those breakfast as a type of promotion and its a damn good one too. Tell me a place in Pattaya where you can find a full english breakfast as cheap with the quality of CT cause I'd like to know. Either way, if you're looking for the best value for your money on a good Soi far enough away, but still close enough to all the action, then CT is your best bet IMO. Also, the rooms are a good value as well it cost me only 7500 baht for one month!!! Just around the corner on Soi Lk Metro, they want 15000 for rooms which are only slightly better. Give 'em a try, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Hi Dave!!!

comeon83
To all who read this thread, CT is an outstanding value for the money! Sure, you can find better at the Ritz Carlton, but you will pay for it. I stayed with Dave for one month last year and have no complaints whatsoever. Also, I know from talking to Dave that he loses money on his famous breakfasts. From what I gathered, they use those breakfast as a type of promotion and its a damn good one too. Tell me a place in Pattaya where you can find a full english breakfast as cheap with the quality of CT cause I'd like to know. Either way, if you're looking for the best value for your money on a good Soi far enough away, but still close enough to all the action, then CT is your best bet IMO. Also, the rooms are a good value as well it cost me only 7500 baht for one month!!! Just around the corner on Soi Lk Metro, they want 15000 for rooms which are only slightly better. Give 'em a try, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Hi Dave!!!

Are you sure he loses money on breakfast? What about the Thai food stalls that sell a plate of food for 30 baht? You can bet they are earning money. Are the breakfasts around 100?

clownworker777
Are you sure he loses money on breakfast? What about the Thai food stalls that sell a plate of food for 30 baht? You can bet they are earning money. Are the breakfasts around 100?

Comone83, I'm referring to a casual conversation that I had with Dave... Of course, I'm not his bookkeeper, so I couldn't tell you anything for sure in that regard. But I will say that the amount of food you get for the price is amazing and I'd be willing to bet that if he does make money on those breakfast, it isn't that much.

If I remember correctly, I paid 100 or 120 baht for the full breakfast. But it was a while ago and I'm not quite sure if he's raised the prices, but I think that is what I paid. I remember being amazed at how cheap it was.

The full breakfast at Pig-N-Whistle isn't bad for the money either, but the bad part about that is the 60 baht coffee you get nailed with. Indeed, it is freshly brewed, but still way too steep.

Daveo

I dont think you can compare a 30 baht dish at a thai food stall with wheels or a tin roof to an English style breakfast with UK style sausage bacon and beans + tomato 2 eggs and thick toast and marmalede, tea or coffee and free orange juice, for 90baht + british newspapers 4 days a week etc etc.

A Thai meal maybe filling and maybe healthier but not the same as a Traditional English Breakfast. and yes it is and always has been our loss leader, but it has worked as we are still busy and many have said they used to use the 140/180 baht breakfast places and with the current baht to pound rate they still get as good a breakfast for the same money.

Works with the rooms too as we are still full and many bookings for the future, a lot of other places you are paying for lavish fittings and maybe A/C but the food is pretty much the same, I have been into all of them.

clownworker777

Agreed!

pompooee
I dont think you can compare a 30 baht dish at a thai food stall with wheels or a tin roof to an English style breakfast with UK style sausage bacon and beans......

I hope that's Linconshire sausages, back bacon & Heinz beans or no sale :Hair_Out1:

Works with the rooms too as we are still full and many bookings for the future, a lot of other places you are paying for lavish fittings and maybe A/C but the food is pretty much the same, I have been into all of them.

So do your rooms have aircon or not?

Daveo

Sorry not Lincolnshire, its loin bacon and not Heinz, but all 3 are good and the numbers of bums on seats maybe proves its OK.

All rooms have Air Con, Yes, as stated on the website.

www.canterburytalescafe.com

wolfy

Stayed at CT for 3 months last fall, ate my breakfast there nearly everyday, not because it was handy but because the food was bloody good. IMO Dave, his wife and staff try to make sure that everyone is well looked after and if it is not right just ask and they will make it right for you. I'd stay there again except I was not quick enough on the draw to get my reservation in on time. Works for me!!!

Daveo

Hi Wolfy.

How goes it.

rabbit

ive had a few breakfasts at gregs bt350, same type of portion size by the sounds of things, if the quality is as good, only one way to find out i will have to try one in august

Daveo

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Z4ilMaU1XQM&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Z4ilMaU1XQM&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Z4ilMaU1XQM&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Canterbury Tales Breakfast Forum

Daveo

we dont only have rif raf & famous Authors, we also have British Olympians and movie Stars in for breakfast.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IBbNVgDEspQ&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IBbNVgDEspQ&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IBbNVgDEspQ&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Daveo

ROOM UPDATE

4A available from 1st September to 28th Sep

5A available from 6th September onwards

6A available from 16th August onwards

7A available from 25th July onwards

8A available from 30th Sepember

10A available from 2nd August onwards

12A available from 12th of August to 25th September.

1B available 27th July onwards

3 & 4B long term booking at the moment, not sure of check out dates

6B available from 26th September onwards

8B available from 27th July

Some of these rooms already have bookings in November onwards, please email for enquiries, also some rooms have odd few days in between booking which may suit you if you need a day or 2 or 3 so please let me know.

Cheers Dave

Daveo

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IBbNVgDEspQ&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IBbNVgDEspQ&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/IBbNVgDEspQ&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Daveo

A man came home from work one day to find his house in total mayhem. The children were outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud. Empty food boxes and wrappers were strewn across the yard. When he went inside, the mess was even worse. A lamp had been knocked over and the throw rug was wadded against the wall.

The family room was strewn with toys and clothing. In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, cereal had been spilled on the counter, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over more piles of clothes and toys to look for his wife. He was becoming worried that she may be ill or that something serious had happened. He found her in the bedroom, still curled in the bed in her pajamas, reading a book. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went.

He looked at her, bewildered, and asked, "What happened here today?"

She smiled. "You know how every day when you come home from work, you ask me what I do all day?"

"Yes" he said, still quite baffled.

"Well," she said "today I didn't do it.