IGNORED

Choose your hotel

jojomecanic

Great info not only on where to stay but also on good ways to find out info. I can imagine you've saved lots of newies from many wasted hours trying to find some worthwhile information. Keep up the good work.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably one of the most common question from newbies in this forum is “any suggestion for hotel ?”

Here is a quick guide to start your search.

First of all, you have to answer few questions :

1 - Price

daily budget I want (or can) spend. “as low as possible” is not an answer. Starts around 600b in guest houses, to… 10.000b at black book resort, or upper. Low average seems to be 1,000b and good quality 1,800b

2 – Location

For newbies, I would recommend to stay near the action, in a centered place.

Here is a little map :

Simple map.JPG

The green area is probably the best place to stay for a newbie. This doesn’t mean others places are bad. Ie, soi 6 is a great place, but if you realise that you love the gogos overall, you might not be staying in the right place. So, as you don’t know what you like, you’d better stay somewhere you can hit all the places very easy.

After a few days (or trips), you may decide to stay in specific areas as soi 6, Soi Diana, Walking street…

3 - What ameneties do you look for ?

- (free) wifi

- in room safe

- pool

- balcony

etc...

Then, it’s time to look for your hotel…

For this, you need a map of the area you want to be, with all the hotels on it, and the rates of each hotel… not easy to get this !

The best way I found is to go on Agoda. You don’t need to book on it. Just use it to locate most hotels.

So click on here http://www.agoda.com...nd/pattaya.html

Don’t bother about the list of hotels and dates. Just click on the first button “map” on any hotel.

Select map agoda.JPG

This brings you to their map. Use the zoom and bring the focus on the area you want to be.

agoda map 01.JPG

When you bring the mouse over a hotel, it shows you the pic and the lowest price.

agoda mouse over.JPG

So look around and make a list of hotels that could suit you.

To check the hotel, you can click on it, and have a look at reviews, pictures, different rooms rates and amenities (wifi, double bed, breakfast, etc)

Go back on Pattaya-Addicts

Now it’s time to check if your choice is good or not. For this, go back to Pattaya-Addicts and use the research engine on any page, upper right :

search 01.JPG

Fill the form

search 02.JPG

You can do a better search with a longer phrase, but if you do so, don’t search only title.

You’ll be very surprised all the reports, informations and pics you can get on this forum !

When opening a thread, don't forget to press your keyboard Ctrl button while clicking so it opens the thread in a new Tab.

Check other reviews

You can also read reviews on trip advisor here.

Choose your language and fill the search form, then press "enter" or press the search button.

tripadvisor.JPG

GuestHouses

If you like chating with friends, getting help from used travellers, share experience and don’t want to be on your own in a hotel, you can book in a well known guesthouse (usually cheaper than hotels).

Many are around Soi Buakhao (see on map above), and the place has many bars and entertainment.

To find these guesthouses, just search on this board using the advanced search tool.

You can launch the search on all forums to see general discussion about these kind of accommodation :

SCGH01.JPG

Or choose search only on the “hotel & accommodation forum”.

SCGH02.JPG

There are many well known guesthouses on this board and you can be sure there will be board members or friendly people to chat and have a beer. Just read the reports to get an idea of the guesthouse. Most of the good ones have a website and you can get it on google.

Last option, if you are really on a budget, you can walk along soi buakhao. Every 20m you’ll find an advertise “room for rent”. Prices can start from 350~400b. Just beware quality, check the room first (common practice) and don’t pay 3 weeks in advance…

My last advice : don't book a room for your entire stay... 2 or 3 nights are enough, and then change hotel if you want (or stay if it's good).

This advice is not for November to February (high season).

excellent advise thanks a lot mate

Living sober,clean and staying away from loose women doesn't make a man live any longer. It just fucking feels like it.

centera beach hotel is on beach road and is a little dated but the location is great and very girl friendly close to soi 7 and 8 rate is low season 1700 bt and high season 1900 bhat

Living sober,clean and staying away from loose women doesn't make a man live any longer. It just fucking feels like it.

• 4 weeks later...

The must in the hotel is free wifi and safe. I do not care about anything else, really. That means - more options for me!

Thailand... I will return again and again

excellent work.

thankyou.

how do i recommend for this thread to be pinned please?

how do i recommend for this thread to be pinned please?

I don't think you quite get it Porffolio. It's easy to recommend a 2K(+) a night hotels. It's the 500/600 baht 'gems' that people tend to keep to themselves.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

I don't think you quite get it Porffolio. It's easy to recommend a 2K(+) a night hotels. It's the 500/600 baht 'gems' that people tend to keep to themselves.

I agree with you for the 500b gem, but this thread was not to recommend a 2K hotel. It was the opposite :not reccomend anything, just let people choose.

I saw that the main question from newbies is "I Need hotel..." and I was a bit tired always answering the same things. So I made this thread to help some guys to realise how big is Pattaya, where are the main action places, and how to find a good hotel by themseves. So now, when someone is asking, I just point him to this thread. It's a helpier answer than telling them "Search the board".

nothing to " get" really

its not about price or being a cheap charlie

i just think its a very helpful and useful thread for everyone but especially for the noobs who dont quite know their way around the board.we all staarted somewhere once.

kudos to jojomecanic for the work involved.

My advice is to disregard most advice. Too many people are shilling for a commission or extra business on the Internet. Since many of these places are small, and Internet word spreads quickly, the places that used to be good value get overrun and turn overpriced, overhyped at the new and vastly increased price.

And obviously, different people have vastly different standards and expectations.

Reserve on Agoda or Latestays for first few days, then walk around and see what else you like better and cut a long-term stay deal at the front desk. The only way to know what you are buying is to check it out before hand. Pics on the internet always look better than reality.

My advice is to disregard most advice. Too many people are shilling for a commission or extra business on the Internet. Since many of these places are small, and Internet word spreads quickly, the places that used to be good value get overrun and turn overpriced, overhyped at the new and vastly increased price.

And obviously, different people have vastly different standards and expectations.

Reserve on Agoda or Latestays for first few days, then walk around and see what else you like better and cut a long-term stay deal at the front desk. The only way to know what you are buying is to check it out before hand. Pics on the internet always look better than reality.

I agree with all that.

That's why I think it is useless to share a 500b gem as it may be great for me and crap for you the next week.

Also as I said in my first post (see quoted below), this was a guide to look for a room for a few days, then stay longer or move. This rules goes for anywhere around the world, but is very accurate in SEA. They are very good at giving you the only room where the aircon doesn't work, or anything else. Even if the hotel is empty, as you've already pre-paid the entire stay, they will say "Sorry sir, no other room, ask again tomorow..." so they can keep the good rooms for customers not paying upfront.

But it seems that most newbies don't want to believe there are hundreds rooms available everywhere in Patts, all year round and there is no need to book anything.

To be honest, I don't book anymore. Last time I got there, it was full high season (christmass week), late at night, and I got a 500b room near WS in 5 minutes.

My last advice : don't book a room for your entire stay... 2 or 3 nights are enough, and then change hotel if you want (or stay if it's good).

Great article, you put a lot of work into this, attention to detail, informative and well thought out. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

amazing how often i direct people to this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

amazing how often i direct people to this thread.

that time yet again.....................

where is the top ten guest houses in pattaya

sigh.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, great advice. I dread to think how much time I spent researching my hotel booking this time. With the exception of my first trip (Eastiny Place, Soi 8) I've always stayed on the dark side so this was my first booking in Pattaya centre for almost ten years.

I've finally now booked the Twin Palms resort, so will fill out a review when I get back.

• 4 months later...

great guide. while i monger alot in the Philippines, next year will be my first attempt in thailand and it is so much bigger than angeles. very much apprieaciated the guide ::

• 1 month later...

think u forgot

JOINER FEE????

most upper more expensive hotels will charge so always book a DOUBLE room

and who cares about the pool>>>

just go out to Jomtien to swim an eat in the beach

Definitely worth the time and effort to find accommodation in a good location for you, at a price you want, with the facilities you appreciate.  Poor choice can make the holiday a bit shit. In any time except peak season Xmas and Songkran I would say book 3 nights then extend if you are happy.

So far I have been happy with

Nirvana Boutique, Soi 4 Jomtien. Gorgeous rooms. Great for a romantic stop.

Residence Garden. Thap Phraya Road.  Located nicely between Pattaya and Jomtien, big rooms, 2 pools.

Roof Garden Inn. Thap Phraya Road. An excellent small guesthouse hotel with good rooms. only 700 a night.

LEK hotel. Old but homely feel hotel right in central action zone.

View Talay 6. Superb views....

• 2 months later...

Let me add to the chorus of thanks. Like the search tips too. Every time I go to Pattaya I "stumble" across new places and streets to stay. This will certainly help.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey jojomecanic, thank you for the effort you put in this thread. :Clap1: Very helpful!

I especially like the location "Where to stay as a newbie" part.

I will use your map and advice for my upcoming trip this year. I think the green area will be perfect for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the very informative thread jojomecanic should come to good use once I begin planning for my second trip to LOS and first to Pattaya.

Can't Wait...

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Archived