IGNORED

Choose your hotel

jojomecanic

Probably one of the most common question from newbies in this forum is “any suggestion for hotel ?”

Here is a quick guide to start your search.

First of all, you have to answer few questions :

1 - Price

daily budget I want (or can) spend. “as low as possible” is not an answer. Starts around 600b in guest houses, to… 10.000b at black book resort, or upper. Low average seems to be 1,000b and good quality 1,800b

2 – Location

For newbies, I would recommend to stay near the action, in a centered place.

Here is a little map :

Simple map.JPG

The green area is probably the best place to stay for a newbie. This doesn’t mean others places are bad. Ie, Soi 6 is a great place, but if you realise that you love the gogos overall, you might not be staying in the right place. So, as you don’t know what you like, you’d better stay somewhere you can hit all the places very easy.

After a few days (or trips), you may decide to stay in specific areas as Soi 6, Soi Diana, Walking street…

3 - What ameneties do you look for ?

- (free) wifi

- in room safe

- pool

- balcony

etc...

Then, it’s time to look for your hotel…

For this, you need a map of the area you want to be, with all the hotels on it, and the rates of each hotel… not easy to get this !

The best way I found is to go on Agoda. You don’t need to book on it. Just use it to locate most hotels.

So click on here http://www.agoda.com...nd/pattaya.html?CID=1412148

Don’t bother about the list of hotels and dates. Just click on the first button “map” on any hotel.

Select map agoda.JPG

This brings you to their map. Use the zoom and bring the focus on the area you want to be.

agoda map 01.JPG

When you bring the mouse over a hotel, it shows you the pic and the lowest price.

agoda mouse over.JPG

So look around and make a list of hotels that could suit you.

To check the hotel, you can click on it, and have a look at reviews, pictures, different rooms rates and amenities (wifi, double bed, breakfast, etc)

Go back on Pattaya-Addicts

Now it’s time to check if your choice is good or not. For this, go back to Pattaya-Addicts and use the research engine on any page, upper right :

search 01.JPG

Fill the form

search 02.JPG

You can do a better search with a longer phrase, but if you do so, don’t search only title.

You’ll be very surprised all the reports, informations and pics you can get on this forum !

When opening a thread, don't forget to press your keyboard Ctrl button while clicking so it opens the thread in a new Tab.

Check other reviews

You can also read reviews on trip advisor here.

Choose your language and fill the search form, then press "enter" or press the search button.

tripadvisor.JPG

GuestHouses

If you like chating with friends, getting help from used travellers, share experience and don’t want to be on your own in a hotel, you can book in a well known guesthouse (usually cheaper than hotels).

Many are around Soi Buakhao (see on map above), and the place has many bars and entertainment.

To find these guesthouses, just search on this board using the advanced search tool.

You can launch the search on all forums to see general discussion about these kind of accommodation :

SCGH01.JPG

Or choose search only on the “hotel & accommodation forum”.

SCGH02.JPG

There are many well known guesthouses on this board and you can be sure there will be board members or friendly people to chat and have a beer. Just read the reports to get an idea of the guesthouse. Most of the good ones have a website and you can get it on google.

Last option, if you are really on a budget, you can walk along soi buakhao. Every 20m you’ll find an advertise “room for rent”. Prices can start from 350~400b. Just beware quality, check the room first (common practice) and don’t pay 3 weeks in advance…

My last advice : don't book a room for your entire stay... 2 or 3 nights are enough, and then change hotel if you want (or stay if it's good).

This advice is not for November to February (high season).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic for newbies.

Another good question (the third one) is :

What ameneties do you look for in a hotel?

- (free) wifi

- in room safe

- pool

- and so on

Good guide, Nice put together.

My advice for first timer is to stay close second road or Beach road.

Good job my friend. You help for newcomers.Scene is also important (can be noisy).

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Another good question (the third one) is :

What ameneties do you look for in a hotel?

- (free) wifi

- in room safe

- pool

- and so on

Yes, good advice. Thread modified !

Thanks for your encouragements, guys... for a few hours I thought this thread was just going to sink :GoldenSmile1:

Great post man. It looks like you put alot of effort into it. It looks good and very informative. :Good_Job::001_Thank_You5:

Yes have to agree a good detailed post, however, also important for newbies is bumping into guys who come to Pattaya regularly and expats, we have a constant flow of newbies at Canterbury Tales Guest House all of whom benefit from our breakfast forum if you like.

You can always find someone there who can answer just about anything about Pattaya so invaluable to newbies.

121.jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

This is an awesome guide mate.

So much detail...you have spent a lot of time on this.

I really think that it should be pinned!

Also I am rating it 5 stars.

So so helpful for newbies....I love how you detailed the rough distances on the map also.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

- Quiet Air con because noisy air con avoid me to sleep

- Air con and Fan separate

- double glass windows to avoid street noise

- "digital" in room safety box and not with key easy to loose or be stolen by ladies during sleeping

- Lift for disable people

Great job jojomecanic! This post is very helpful, especially for a newbie like myself. Thanks!

Terrific detail.. Well done, you obviously put a lot of time/effort in..

Hey, it even helped me out with 'how to research'.. :Thanks3:

Excellent map, jojomecanic.

That's been vaguely in my head for a while.

It's nice to see it actually drawn out.

:Dance1:

Excellent post, thank you.

And i liked the easy map very much. It is very basic and shows everything important.

It will be very helpful, how to choose hotel

Really well done post and you did a nice job on the map.

I would also echo the comments about Cantebury Tales. People eating and hanging out there have been very nice and helpful with info for me.

Cheers,

G

Really well done post and you did a nice job on the map.

I would also echo the comments about Cantebury Tales. People eating and hanging out there have been very nice and helpful with info for me.

Cheers,

G

Hearing a lot of good things about Cantebury Tales so looking forward to a good stay there in September!

Well done jojomechanic. I'm sure all (new and old) will very much appreciate your efforts.

Never, under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

As above - I've used it to book my loom so I can't really give you any better feedback.

THX

"We do not stop playing because we grow old - we grow old because we stop playing"

"A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her" Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the hotel link in this thread. There are so many to choose from, so using the map was good advice. What do you think about renting a condo for a month. My first trip will be three weeks anyway, so i thought it might be best to get a nice 1 bedroom somewhere.

Hello, i'll be in pattaya in october. I've booked a room for the first days but not the entire stay. So if I don't like the hotel I can change for another one. Is there always free rooms in pattaya (average budget of 2500 Bahts by night) or is is better to book the entire stay in advance (cheaper price for early booking) ?

Thank you for the reply.

Regards.

Hello, i'll be in pattaya in october. I've booked a room for the first days but not the entire stay. So if I don't like the hotel I can change for another one. Is there always free rooms in pattaya (average budget of 2500 Bahts by night) or is is better to book the entire stay in advance (cheaper price for early booking) ?

Thank you for the reply.

Regards.

you'll have no problem getting a room in that average. Good thing to book only 3 nights and then decide where to go next (or stay where you are).

For early booking, you may not get the best prices through Agoda. Usualy good bargains if you book as late as possible. So don't worry...

Once you're there, you can also ask to visit a room when coming across a good hotel, and then ask for their best price at reception.

Usualy, the problem in Pattaya is not getting a room, but choosing a room... so many available!

Very good guide, thank you. Another thing I would add is to read reviews and see if they mention lots of noise at that certain hotel. You can get some hotels for 800-850 Baht a night on Walking Street right on the action, but they're also pretty noisy so it might not be worth it if you want to sleep in a little early some nights.

Hey jojomecanic, great advice and excellent info. I will be staying in LK Metro for my up coming October holiday to Patts.

more useful infoBell travel 3 .SMALL copy.jpg

Police (1).jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Archived