IGNORED

When you cannot trust the in room safe...

7-Eleven

There has been a few topics now about how easy the safes commonly used in Pattaya hotels are to open, one included a video of a guy opening a safe with a potato!

With that in mind if you don't trust the in room safe where do you keep your passport, travel docs, cash, mobile phone, laptop, camera etc?

Do you hide them somewhere in the room?

Keep everything on your person at all times?

Lock it all into your suitcase in the hope no one will try to open it?

Are there any products out there that can help keep our belongings secure?

Please discuss...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 999Baht

• GorGuy RIP

• themosch

• ipweb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bring with you only what you can afford to loose... that's the only rule.

When I put things in safe, I never put everything in a wallet. If someone open the safe, he will run with the wallet and sort things once he's home. If your passport is in the wallet, he'll go with it to even if he's not interested in it.

So I separate cash, passport credit card, etc.

Also I have an other credit card somewhere else in the room.I alway put a good amount of cash in the safe. Can prevent thief to look somewhere else.

If the hotel room does not have a reasonable safe, I lock valuables in my suitcase, which is a solid suitcase with 2 key locks and a combination lock.

There is always a small risk, but this minimizes the risk.

I take at least 2 ATM or credit cards, keeping one in my wallet and the other in room safe or locked suitcase.

A passport can be replaced, but you do need access to cash.

If I bring a lady into my room, I get her to take a shower first then lock valuables away, then I take a shower, leaving the door open to the bathroom.

If I have any doubts about the lady (instinct) I will only do short time and not let her sleep over. If I feel comfortable sometimes she can sleep over.

With a longer term girl, I take her details off her ID card, ask for her home address etc.

With a longer term girl, that I have known for a while and know some of her background, I would often leave stuff out, but sometimes check how much I have in my wallet. She has more to lose with a regular customer, than a few baht taken from my wallet.

Never had a problem so far.

A locked suitcase is next to useless, a zip can be opened in less than a second with a biro and re-zipped with no evidence it was broken into.

If you are really concerned, look into a product called 'packsafe', luggage items built with a high tensile mesh integrated into the fabric that can be tethered to an immovable object with a padlock.

A locked suitcase is next to useless, a zip can be opened in less than a second with a biro and re-zipped with no evidence it was broken into.

A solid suitcase has no zip.

As in Delsey, or other brands.

Agreed not foolproof, but you would know if the locks were busted out.

A good hider is creative. Find some creative places to hide your things.

Here are some ideas.

Pen safe (for your emergency cash). Just take apart a pen. Roll up your money and insert it into the pen. Then put the pen back together. Who would think to look there.

Battery compartment of radio. Take the batteries out of your radio and put your stuff in there.

Inside your vacuum cleaners bag. Just don't forget its in there and throw it away.

Inside a candle. Hollow out a candle and put your cash there. Again don't forget its there and burn the candle.

Inside DVD case. Put your money in the case line sheets.

A good hider is creative. Find some creative places to hide your things.

Here are some ideas.

Pen safe (for your emergency cash). Just take apart a pen. Roll up your money and insert it into the pen. Then put the pen back together. Who would think to look there.

Why bother - the most you could put in isn't worth the effort

Battery compartment of radio. Take the batteries out of your radio and put your stuff in there.

WTF is a radio and why would you have one on holidays with big fuck off batteries - do you take a ghetto blaster on hols !

Inside your vacuum cleaners bag. Just don't forget its in there and throw it away.

That's hilarious but what about if someone wants to steal the $1000 Dyssen you have taken on hols - oh yea, you could lock it in your suitcase !

Inside a candle. Hollow out a candle and put your cash there. Again don't forget its there and burn the candle.

You've been watching too much Mgyvver pal !

Inside DVD case. Put your money in the case line sheets.

The DVD idea isn't bad. I have used it and it was always a favorite.

COMMENTS IN BOLD above

Once you start hiding stuff guaranteed your going to lose it. I lost absolutely 1000's and 1000's of pound when I used to hide money years ogo. Some got chucked out with the cat litter, some was hidden in the laundry basket and was taken to the laundrette never to be seen again, and some of it I never know where it fuck in went or was hid to begin with !

Used to know a girl in Hackney used to keep all her money she had earned that night in one of those plastic bank bags up her pussy. She used to get attacked all the time by guys trying to rob her but they never got it. When she was around and we were having a few drinks with a few people and someone was going to the bottleshop, she used to slide her panties over, squat, out it would pop, shed pick it up, pull out ten pounds and give it to someone for beer, then shove the rest back up from whence it came !

Edited by Kangarooted

Used to know a girl in Hackney used to keep all her money she had earned that night in one of those plastic bank bags up her pussy. She used to get attacked all the time by guys trying to rob her but they never got it. When she was around and we were having a few drinks with a few people and someone was going to the bottleshop, she used to slide her panties over, squat, out it would pop, shed pick it up, pull out ten pounds and give it to someone for beer, then shove the rest back up from whence it came !

Unfortunately I do not have a pussy, and I am NOT sticking ANYTHING up my bum :o:D

Great story though Kanga.

There's an old saying, "Locks are to keep honest people out." Meaning that a lock is only there to indicate something is meant to be private and WILL be defeated by someone who wants to badly enough. I keep my funds in travelers checks in the safe. I know someone could take them if they wanted, but TCs can be replaced if stolen, so no big deal there. Cash I keep on me at all times. Take my wallet with me into the shower for the pre-sex shower, I undress in the loo, so it's not unnatural for me to have it on me. My computer is a small, piece-of-crap netbook worth $250 new. I keep it in my backpack which IS unsecured, but never had any problems. My mobile is one of the 990 baht jobs that usually is far less attractive than the phone of the girl I have in my room. Basically, I don't bring a whole hell of a lot of stuff that someone would want to take. The only thing I usually have worth stealing is cash, and that I DO keep on me at all times. In five visits to LOS, I've never had anything stolen... or, if I have, it was a theft so inconsequential I never noticed it. I leave most of my stuff out... most of it isn't worth stealing anyway. As far as the passport goes, most thieves (BG or not) are after cash or items that can readily be converted to cash... passports are NOT easily converted to cash by a casual thief... you will definitely attract the attention of the authorities if you are dealing in stolen passports, even in Thailand from what I understand. If you're up against a professional, dedicated thief... you're pretty much screwed no matter what you do LOL!

Edit: If you're THAT worried, bring your own small safe from home, a length of steel cable, and a padlock. Use the cable to padlock your safe to something relatively immovable like the bed. And after following this protocol, avoid barfining girls that are toting bolt-cutters.

Edited by AceFromNJ

There has been a few topics now about how easy the safes commonly used in Pattaya hotels are to open, one included a video of a guy opening a safe with a potato!

I have not yet come across a bar girl who keeps a potato in her handbag, so all good so far....

I stayed at the Sunshine hotel recently and they have room safes. I went for breakfast with one girl and left the other two sleeping. A couple of hours later they came down to the bar where i was having my "morning" and i paid them. I went back to the room alone a little while later and found that i couldn't get in to the safe. All i got was code error. I knew i had pressed the correct code so i assumed somebody had been trying to gain access.

I have known all 3 ladies for quite some time and never had any problems and have never had any problems with the cleaners either. (stayed there many times)

Got two guys from reception to open it for me and they said they had a problem as they had never had one blocked like this before. Some problem, they had it open in less than a minute.

I will not point the finger at anybody unless i have concrete proof but it does seem like a number of combinations could have been used before the safe shut down. Nothing was taken from inside.

I stayed at the Sunshine hotel recently and they have room safes. I went for breakfast with one girl and left the other two sleeping. A couple of hours later they came down to the bar where i was having my "morning" and i paid them. I went back to the room alone a little while later and found that i couldn't get in to the safe. All i got was code error. I knew i had pressed the correct code so i assumed somebody had been trying to gain access.

I have known all 3 ladies for quite some time and never had any problems and have never had any problems with the cleaners either. (stayed there many times)

Got two guys from reception to open it for me and they said they had a problem as they had never had one blocked like this before. Some problem, they had it open in less than a minute.

I will not point the finger at anybody unless i have concrete proof but it does seem like a number of combinations could have been used before the safe shut down. Nothing was taken from inside.

That's the most important.

Always be careful even though you know the girls since a while.

When she was around and we were having a few drinks with a few people and someone was going to the bottleshop, she used to slide her panties over, squat, out it would pop, shed pick it up, pull out ten pounds and give it to someone for beer, then shove the rest back up from whence it came !

Mmmmmm pussy money...

I bet everyone used to crowd around when it was her turn to shout the round of drinks.

I hate to say it but it was also lucky that when these people robbed her they did not rape her.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Sorry but out of all this story all I could think of is that you had 3 girls over night in your room.

Nice going. :Clap7: Now tell us about it. Haha

I have read many stories about how unsafe the safes are also.

I used to worry about it but not so much any more.

I bring most of my spending money over in cash and then deposit it straight into my Thai Bank account.

That way if the ATM card is stolen or goes missing I can replace it.

As for hiding stuff over the room. Seriously for every place you have thought of robbers will have seen already.

It's a hotel room and there are not that many original hiding spots there.

Just lock your stuff up in the safe or safety deposit box. As someone else said I never bring anything that I can not afford to lose.

Has anyone ever had their passport stolen?

If so then what happens? I was thinking that you can not then board the plane until a replacement is organised.

I can think of worse places to be stuck than Thailand.

I have small money in my vallet, a part of money locked in suitcase (code number a keys) a bigger part of money on credit card a safe box in reception(2 keys)1 for me and one for reception. Reception safe box is under 24 hours control.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

• 3 weeks later...

I have always been lucky with safes and i always leave my passport and cards in the room safe and only go on the piss with cash, more likely to have your wallet pinched than have your room broken into..!! I always have a Big thai note stashed in my suitcase lining for an emergency..

As for important docs and medical info.

Try http://www.utagice.com/

I have an Ice Tag Bracelet which has a small USB on it, its designed for if you cant speak after an accident, you can store all medical info on it, blood type ect and insurance cover. also there is a password protected section where you can store copies of passport scans, driving license, tel no., bank details ect ect ect

every little helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two online bank accounts but only one of them is connected to my credit card and my credit card has no credit. If i need money i wire money from the semi account to the real one, takes 1 second and no charges. I i only have cash for a couple of days, so even if somebody would steel everything i have he/her/it wouls still not get much out of it...

I prefer a room safe located in a wardrobe that can be locked, see my photo. OK so the cable can be cut easy enough but most theft seems to be opportunism without being easily noticeable. I will see my lock has been tampered with very quickly so I can react to it straightaway. Its never been tampered with yet.

Optimized-wardrobe-lock.jpg

This sounds like its not if you will be stolen from but when. IS that what to expect?

This sounds like its not if you will be stolen from but when. IS that what to expect?

dont worry its very rare for stuff to get stolen, just use common sence

dont go telling poeple or hotel staff about the millions you ahve in the hotel safe :Attitude:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I have small money in my vallet, a part of money locked in suitcase (code number a keys) a bigger part of money on credit card a safe box in reception(2 keys)1 for me and one for reception. Reception safe box is under 24 hours control.

Umm, and if you lose your key for the reception safe box....... I am sure they will find a replacement key !

I prefer a room safe located in a wardrobe that can be locked, see my photo. OK so the cable can be cut easy enough but most theft seems to be opportunism without being easily noticeable. I will see my lock has been tampered with very quickly so I can react to it straightaway. Its never been tampered with yet.

This is kind of a cool idea actually. A combination laptop lock like that can be bought on Amazon for only $7. With the room safe inside a locked closet like that, it will deter almost all girls thinking about stealing from you.

Mmmmmm pussy money...

I bet everyone used to crowd around when it was her turn to shout the round of drinks.

I hate to say it but it was also lucky that when these people robbed her they did not rape her.

And if they did they would have cum into a lot of money.