Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai internet on your mobile

Would love to use mobile and 3g (internet) functionality on my mobile.

To fully use the pattaya addicts-app ;)

Is it possible to buy 1-month internet access?

(I'm not an expat, just going to Thailand for holidays.., so I only need/want to pay for it for 1 month or so) :D

"Why are farangs so stupid?" she asked and I had no answer to that.

Would love to use mobile and 3g (internet) functionality on my mobile.

To fully use the pattaya addicts-app ;)

Is it possible to buy 1-month internet access?

(I'm not an expat, just going to Thailand for holidays.., so I only need/want to pay for it for 1 month or so) :D

Sure

the last couple of trips I have has a DTAC happy sim that I put in my phone and then buy an internet package for it. There are other options which have been covered on this forum before, just have a search

Pretty much the most up to date info afaik.

Further to my suggesting a smartphone I looked up the data plans available with a thai sim card. You can use most smartphones as modems too if you think the speed where you're staying is too slow. I'm not sure if thai mobile networks block connection sharing however, but I'd guess they don't. Also you can obtain a mobile broadband dongle for less than £30 which would do the same job.

Anyway the information I found so far;

Happy sim card;

199B incl. 300B calling credit

99B incl. 35B calling credit

You can buy 7 different internet packages:

5 hours - 50B

20 hours - 99B

70 hours - 199B

30MB - 99B

150MB - 250B

3GB - 650B

Unlimited - 790B

AIS One-2 Call Freedom SIM card;

50B incl. 15B credit

1 internet package;

199 baht/ month

Free! 100 megabytes GPRS, 6 baht/megabyte is charged for each subsequent megabyte (call rate is inclusive VAT).

Not sure on True Move's plan, I will probably dig it out later and post, just so it's somewhere findable for me if noone else later :D

As I mentioned before, I still have to run my business while I am on holiday. That means access to voice and data. Wifi is everywhere in Pattaya and the connection in my room at the Jasmine Hotel was excellent. If you need more continuous access to data, there is currently only one network offering 3G. TRUE Their service is SIM specific in that you need to buy the correct SIM for the data offering because it can't be changed later.

net-sim-prepay-en.jpg

The volume based Power pack (grey lettering) one is more suitable for smartphones.

TRUE advertises their 3G network as being free but it certainly is not. Their packages include voice minutes and limited data amounts on their 2G/Edge, Wifi, and 3G networks. Voice and 2G/Edge work on the 1800 band while 3G works on the 850 Mhz band which is normally just used in the Americas. The iPhone, Android phones and most Blackberry's can handle these bands. You will notice some delay when the phone switches networks which is frequent with TRUE. If your needs are just voice, One-2-Call! or dtac are probably better choices.

I recommend buying the SIM at a TRUE outlet. They are available in many other places including Tukcom but generally the salespeople do not know anything! There is a TRUE counter at BKK and the electronics store on Level 3 at Central Festival is quite knowlegeable.

Remember that if your device is locked to your home carrier you will need to unlock to use it with a foreign SIM. If you can't do this at home, it is relatively simple to have this done at MBK in Bangkok or Tukcom in Pattaya.

iPhone running on TRUE 3G (note the IPB app for Pattaya-Addicts!)

5273635824_d5719175d7.jpg

I find that the international connection delay is too long to forward business calls directly to Thailand so my office phone takes a voicemail and sends me an email with attached .wav file that I can listen to and then call back using Skype. Within North America I am able to use other VoIP services at lower cost and better quality but from Asia, Skype has them all beat.