IGNORED

Geek Thread - what computer setup do you have?

LaaMok

but I do drool when I see the OPs six screens and the water cooled rig... :)

True the OP has a cool rig but as a home user, I don't need 6 screens as I don't multitask too much. But I quite like the idea of a 60" full HD TV wirelessly controlled from a recliner like what another BM on this thread did.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a few Linux extremists, the kind that write their email with Emacs, compose Christmas cards with LaTeX and read usenet forums with slrn :rolleyes:. How one can call GNU Emacs practical is beyond me... I used VIM in my geek days and it was much better than Emacs...

True, you have total control over what you do and a proficient guy can perform very advanced tasks using shell and pipes, grep, etc. but I'm not a computer scientist so I don't want to spend hours and hours learning how to do all that stuff. And some of the nice things you can do with Linux seems a bit overkill to me: I learnt to set up squid and postfix servers. That sounds nice but at the end of the day, it serves little purpose for a home user.

I've seen on the August roll call that you'll be in Patts. I might see you there and will buy you a drink with pleasure. :Beer1:

I look forward to meeting you there!

I have been playing with Linux for years. At first it was a way of keeping very old PCs going. Then a few years back I got roped into maintaining a website for a charity. It was hosted on a normal rented server. Whilst i was on holiday, staying with my son in Rio, the server got hacked and everything got lost, so I decided to rent a VPS. The best I could afford had little in free support for the software side, so I had to re learn some old stuff and learn a hell of a lot of new. Got apache going, and mysql, then had a steep learning curve with ssh and firewalls, then started looking at Postfix so I could give them better email support etc which in turn led to virus and spam scanning. Then autobackups then distribution upgrades, so the whole thing snowballed. Had to set things up on my home machines to test things out, that led me to setting up home networks to experiment. I have since then got a couple of "customers" small one man and enterprises on minimal budgets for whom I have built and maintain sites. Sat down the other day and worked out I'm earning about 10 baht an hour with these!

During my previous pre-retirement existence, I had a very intellectually demanding job. Since retiring and being widowed, I have found that it is very very easy to become an intellectual cabbage, so the geek stuff which has always interested me and learning Thai have been my brain gym. Keep facing new mental challenges, find the hardest way to do things and tackle that. It also stops me spending too many hours a day on this forum.

It is amazing how through this forum, i have got to know some really nice guys, mainly through UK meets, or via exchanges of posts. Though on both my previous visits I have tended to be very much a loner or spending most of my time with my girl and her non-P4P friends, I am heading out in August (less than 4 weeks) with a load of dates/meet ups already arranged

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

Hi OleKingCole and capricorn

Nice to meet someone who knows the difference between sh, ksh, csh and ssh!

Would like to meet you in person someday!

Cheers

Bob

Our paths may cross one day, fellow Swiss addict. Pattaya is a small place :)

Yes,

I'm in LOS for August. Decided I should network a bit more this time, have been very stand alone on previous trips, delivering packets through a diminishing bandwidth. In preparation have been reprogramming the central processor in a new language

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

Laptops:

- MBP 15 inch with 4GB ram, 120GB SSD, quad core at 2.5ghz and 1GB video card

- 2 x Alienware 15 inch with 2GB ram, 250GB HD, dual core at 2.1ghz and 512mb video card

My Travel Kit:

- Lenovo s10 netbook with 2GB ram upgrade, changed the original HD with another of the same SSD in my desktop and I have a super slim DVD drive in case I need to restore it when I'm away.

- I also carry around a set of those video glasses, simulating a 52inch screen for when I'm on a plane so I can watch stuff with privacy.

Desktop:

- Greybox with dual quad core at 2.93ghz, 1 x 60GB SSD (@450mb/sec read/write), 2 x 3TB HD, 4GB video card and external 3GB graphics processor

All that connected to 2 x 42 inch LCDs I got on sale :D

Server:

- my mail server & security storage system: Greybox with dual core @ 2.8ghz, 4 x 3TB HD

That's the setup at my apartment, at the home I am moving into I am planning something a bit more elaborate to support a proper home theater system, doubling up my security cameras and also support my new graphics processing unit.

Wow! Great equipment!

I wonder what you do with all that.

2 Laptops plus Desktop? Is that for Multitasking?

(We all know that Windows cant multitask :) )

• 3 weeks later...

Laptops:

- MBP 15 inch with 4GB ram, 120GB SSD, quad core at 2.5ghz and 1GB video card

- 2 x Alienware 15 inch with 2GB ram, 250GB HD, dual core at 2.1ghz and 512mb video card

My Travel Kit:

- Lenovo s10 netbook with 2GB ram upgrade, changed the original HD with another of the same SSD in my desktop and I have a super slim DVD drive in case I need to restore it when I'm away.

- I also carry around a set of those video glasses, simulating a 52inch screen for when I'm on a plane so I can watch stuff with privacy.

Desktop:

- Greybox with dual quad core at 2.93ghz, 1 x 60GB SSD (@450mb/sec read/write), 2 x 3TB HD, 4GB video card and external 3GB graphics processor

All that connected to 2 x 42 inch LCDs I got on sale :D

Server:

- my mail server & security storage system: Greybox with dual core @ 2.8ghz, 4 x 3TB HD

That's the setup at my apartment, at the home I am moving into I am planning something a bit more elaborate to support a proper home theater system, doubling up my security cameras and also support my new graphics processing unit.

I need to get a server badly!

• 2 weeks later...

We have several other systems laying around but this is my geek box.

Current system:

- I7 [email protected] under a H70

- Asrock Z68 Extreme4 mobo

- GSkill 2x4GB RAM

- HIS 5850

- Antec Quattro 1000W

- 2x2TB SATA3 in RAID_0 (very fast with tons of room, not quite SSD but certainly moves along when tested)

- LanCool PC-K60 Case

- LightScribe iHBS212 Blu-ray Burner

- Monitor LG E2340 (Digital) [23" LCD] (004NDFV0F315)

- Monitor Philips 190S (190S7) [19" LCD] (AU 015288)

New Z68 Build (3).JPG

Report.txt

• 3 weeks later...

iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, Mid 2007

MacBook 13" Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, Mid 2007

MacMini Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, Mid 2007

Fujitsu-siemens 10.6" 1.1GHz running linux Ubuntu

Sorry Mate I am thick as Fuck on this Topic much to Geeky fir me.

I use I-Phone for lit of Postings and Netbook at Home

About all I can say

Currently:

MacBook Pro 13"

4GB Ram, 2.66 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 320 GB Hard drive, Apple magic mouse, recently upgraded to Lion OSX

iPhone 4 32GB unlocked

Coming at the end of November:

MacBook Pro 17"

8GB Ram, 2.3 GHZ Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor, Antiglare screen, 512GB Solid State Drive

I have to got to say I love all Apple products.

formerly HighRoller17

I haven't updated mine in a while, mainly because I don't play any games anymore. So still got a Intel Quad Core Q6600 processor, 4 GB of RAM and NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX. Also got about 7 TB of hard drive space and it just seems to be always running out. And still using Windows XP since I think it's much better than Windows 7.

I have a Samsung 305T 30" monitor which has a 2560x1600 resolution, it really is a must for just about everything and I really miss it when in Thailand using my laptop with much smaller resolution. And on top of all this I have a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080P projector with a 100" screen for home theater use, which is quite handy to do some surfing too and even now I'm just lying on my couch typing this with that huge screen :)

I haven't updated mine in a while, mainly because I don't play any games anymore. So still got a Intel Quad Core Q6600 processor, 4 GB of RAM and NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX. Also got about 7 TB of hard drive space and it just seems to be always running out. And still using Windows XP since I think it's much better than Windows 7.

I have a Samsung 305T 30" monitor which has a 2560x1600 resolution, it really is a must for just about everything and I really miss it when in Thailand using my laptop with much smaller resolution. And on top of all this I have a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080P projector with a 100" screen for home theater use, which is quite handy to do some surfing too and even now I'm just lying on my couch typing this with that huge screen :)

Awesome set up and meets 99% of societies actual usage potential (if you OC that Q6600). Your outputs look very nice and my current pet hate distance to screen. Frankly I will get some usage from my earlier post, tax deduction while providing the "crunching power" I need.

• 2 weeks later...

Gaming computer:

INTEL CORE I7-920 2.66G OC'ed to 3.8G.

2xATI/AMD HD5870 1GB GDDR5

6GB RAM

24" wide screen (only 1 though, don't have the funds for more screens).

Runs any game I throw at it at max, which is what I need it for.

Got tired of my 15" laptop not being able to run the games I wanted to play.

File-server:

Got about 12TB of storage, no RAID. Just use it purely to store games, movies and tv-shows.

HW not worth mentioning.

Also got 2 laptops. One 15" which I use on my TV if I want to watch a movie or something.

No HD on it, which is why I want to buy a new one that runs HD (and have got HDMI).

The other laptop is a Asus eee 1005PE 9" laptop, which I bought because it's got the best battery time I've seen on a laptop

(it can run low res videos for about 8 hours before it runs out of juice). Bought it for my travels to Thailand.

CockBoy AKA Alex AKA Alex the CockBoy AKA Beavis AKA One Bullet Man AKA Comatose AKA Dtia AKA Paper AKA Ghost AKA Eric

"English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?"

"My pissed up motorbike taxi driver might smash me straight into a bus, but that doesn't mean I want to walk everywhere."
-bagel

à¹à¹˜à¹”๘๗๑๒๗๖๕

i absolutely love my new M18x,

i can play my games/watch hd movies and travel with it everywhere. It a beast so it also gives me a good workout while i carry it lol :)

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m18x/pd.aspx

cheers,

<!--START COUNTER CODE--><EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2-1.swf?title=Pattaya%20%26%20Buriram%20!&count=down&time=1329256800000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xffffff&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0x990000&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x990000&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x000000&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"><br><div style="width: 500px; text-align: center">Generate your own <a href="http://www.webgamedesign.com/countdown.php">flash countdown</a>.</div><!--END COUNTER CODE -->

Patong - May/June 2011 Trip Report

Pattaya - October 2011 - Video TR

Angeles City - December 2011 !!

Pattaya - February 2012

Prague/Amsterdam - June 2012 !

• 2 weeks later...

Running a 27" iMac Core i5 with 16gb of memory and 1tb drive. Have a 2tb drive attached and another 6tb of network storage. Running a dual monitor setup with another 20" attached to it. I think I am in love with the 27" screen.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Once upon a time, before the US became so paranoid that I never want to go there again,

I had to go to a trade show in Las Vegas.

Not having a laptop, I built this:

100_1629.jpg

At the border I had to explain to the bimbo what each and every part was.

More pics here: http://titsee.com/frankenputer/

Woohoooo! What a machine. I can imagine how the guys freaked out seeing the suicidal terrorist. 5555555

• 4 weeks later...

I need to get a server badly!

Capacity?

OS?

Security?

I can advise if your still interested, it s assuming you have Newegg as a supplier?

• 5 weeks later...

We all spend alot of time on addicts, so I assume most of us have computers better than the average guy! Whats your spec?

Windows 7 Ultimate

g.skill 24 gig of RAM

3 graphic cards ATI Radeon (not expensive as I dont play games)

g.skill 256 gig SSD drive (system disk)

2 x 2 TB hard drives

i7 2.80 GHz processor

Gigabyte extreme motherboard

6 samsung screens 1,920 x 1,080

Water cooled

post-1-0-27691000-1307813368.jpg

First of all, congratulations for the very respectable rig.

Now that I live in Pattaya I am planning to build something powerful as well, and by your specs I am assuming that you know all the good spots to buy hardware parts.

Aside from Tuk Com, do you recommend somewhere here in Pattaya for shopping??

I am sure that I will need to order or go to Bkk for some specific parts, but I'd like to buy in Pattaya all the parts available if I find them at a good price.

Living the dream!

• 2 weeks later...

Nevermind, I bought it!! At Pantip, some new shops opened on the upper floors with some nice high end stuff.

Specs:

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Intel i5 2500k overclocked @4.84Ghz (this cpu is a beast)

Thermaltake Frio

Gskill Sniper ddr3 1600

Seasonic X-650W

HAF 912 Advanced - quite small in height, but very wide and well ventilated

Asus GTX570

Asus Xonar Essence STX

WD 1tb black (next time I go to Bkk I'll get a nice SSD)

Asus VH226H

Living the dream!

13.5 macbook hooked up to a 64 inch Aquos HD TV. I have a cordless "magic" mouse with the finger sensitivities and a wireless keyboard. So I surf and watch my shows from a nice comfy couch using the little macbook for everything. I love it.

• 1 month later...

Nevermind, I bought it!! At Pantip, some new shops opened on the upper floors with some nice high end stuff.

Specs:

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Intel i5 2500k overclocked @4.84Ghz (this cpu is a beast)

Thermaltake Frio

Gskill Sniper ddr3 1600

Seasonic X-650W

HAF 912 Advanced - quite small in height, but very wide and well ventilated

Asus GTX570

Asus Xonar Essence STX

WD 1tb black (next time I go to Bkk I'll get a nice SSD)

Asus VH226H

How much did this set you back in pantip?

Anyone got any recommendations on where to buy a new desktop?

The Baht Media - Thailand Web Design Company

@thebaht

Email me

Archived