IGNORED

Taking laptop to LOS

jackpot

I plan on taking my laptop with me on my next trip.

What is the best way to recharge the thing, use my existing power cable & plug into an socket adaptor or purchase a dedicated power cable.

Cheers

A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having fun.

I just used my notebooks existing adapter. Had no ill effects.

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it?

A death. What's that, a bonus ? I think the life cycle is all backwards.

You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work.

You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities.

You become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating... you finish off as an orgasm.

It's perfect !

What is the best way to recharge the thing, use my existing power cable & plug into an socket adaptor or purchase a dedicated power cable.

Cheers

Thailand voltage is 220 volts 50 hz.

Read the voltage ratings on your power supply, mine says "input 100-240V 50-60 hz".

I think this is the case for most laptops, infact my desktop has a switch on the back

for 115 or 220 v.

i am back from yesterday and used my notebook there with the original adapter and no problems at all.

Cheers

no problems whith mine just need adaptor

Yes no problem using the adapter. As I see that you are flying the English flag the only question is the plug. If you have the standard english 3 pronged one you would need adaptor to change it to 2 prongs.

P.S Read over your post again and saw that you do have the 3 pronged one. You should either buy the 2 pronged one which can be used in Thailand which should be availeble in Computer stores or better yet buy universal socket adapter. Chose one-in-one with a fuse, surge protector is a plus but do not expect to much from it. Do not buy the usual Uk to Europe one as the universal one will be a much better buy in the long run.

P.P.S

http://www.justsportandleisure.com/Details.asp?PID=13943

Here is a link to one

Edited by Taltos

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers, Jackpot

A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having fun.

• 2 weeks later...

For US laptops, does one need just the adaptor, or also some device to change the voltage to US specs?

Thanks in advance.

No, the charging unit should be 110/220 volts. Just look at the sticker on it or at the home page of the manufactor. You should not need an adaptor if you have a regular plug.

Edited by Taltos

• 1 month later...

No need to buy an adaptor in the UK. You can save cash by buying a switchable adaptor at Tesco Lotus for 85 baht. One Thai plug to two UK sockets. Quite useful. Amorn at TUKCOM sometimes has single adaptors for 30 baht.

If you want surge protection, purchase one of these before you leave the UK: Got to http://www.argos.co.uk and key in item number: 9828812