IGNORED

Vietnam

chris2004

I'm off to Vietnam next week for a quick break. I'm taking some US dollars for my visa etc but mostly taking thai baht which i hope i can exchange for Vietnamese Dong. Is this right? are thai baht exchangeable or do i need to take all US dollars?

I'm off to Vietnam next week for a quick break. I'm taking some US dollars for my visa etc but mostly taking thai baht which i hope i can exchange for Vietnamese Dong. Is this right? are thai baht exchangeable or do i need to take all US dollars?

I'm pretty sure you can exchange THB, probably at the gold shops. $$$ might be easier, but easiest of all is if you have an ATM card and then millions of Dong come puthering out - usually.

I'm off to Vietnam next week for a quick break. I'm taking some US dollars for my visa ....................

That sounds like you think same same Cambodia?

Don't think so.

I think you have to either get one from the Embassy before you go, or get a Visa on Arrival which you can do online - airport arrival only.

Google Vietnam Visa or look HERE

the paper the dong is printed on is worth more most places take dollers so better with that

the paper the dong is printed on is worth more most places take dollers so better with that

That was not our experience, unless you mean it's easier to exchange $$$ than THB?

You need VND either way and the ATMs are the easiest source.

gold shops are the best place to Exchange curreny . the viet goverment is talking of a crackdown on unlicensed money changers but gold shops are still curently trading . you will get about 5% better rates at gold shops compared to banks

many restaurants/hotels/shops wil take USD but at bank rates ( or lower) meaning your paying more than needed and it makes life more complicated IMO .

using VND is best

yes gold shops will exchange THB

cheers

Dude

• 3 weeks later...

ATMs in Vietnam are more expensive than changing cash USD, EUR or THB to VND at exchange offices/gold shops.

The reason is the Viet banks add a 1% or 2% fee and furthermore the exchange rate will be the official one which is around 5% worse than the rate you can get at exchange offices.

Also remember not to change much more than you will use as you cannot change VND in most countries. You may be able to change VND to USD at Saigon airport but you will get a poor rate. Keeping the VND for next visit is also not a good option as the VND drops all the time. I was there in jan. 2011 and it has already dropped around 10% since then.