Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Change in Imigration rules

Tucson

I just got a Thai Via notice that the Countrys that use the Embassy Letter have to now present proof of $65,000 baht pension for a Retirement Visa. There are a lot of expats that came here when the baht was 35 - 40, have a family here and now they don't meet the qualifications and no longer have enough savings. $800,000. Any thoughts?

First of all, as I understand it, there is No Change in the Regulations for Qualification for an Extension of Stay (Retirement).

Immigration have always had the option to ask for verification that you are actually bringing your spending money in from abroad. This is probably to help show that you are not working and earning your money here.

Even with the 800k seeded in your Thai bank, they can ask (and have asked me) to see a live Thai bank account showing that you are using that money to live on.

The last time I looked at the thread on Thaivisa.com it was just someone reporting that he'd been asked to show that he was living here off the pension he'd had verified by his Embassy.

There is speculation that it is because there are fake pension statements being verified and possibly fake verifications.

The bottom line is that they are looking for proof that you are bringing in the money you're living off i.e. minimum 65k/month.

If you're not doing that and you can't, then you may well have problems, but it isn't new rules, they've always had that option.

I just got a Thai Via notice that the Countrys that use the Embassy Letter have to now present proof of $65,000 baht pension for a Retirement Visa. There are a lot of expats that came here when the baht was 35 - 40, have a family here and now they don't meet the qualifications and no longer have enough savings. $800,000. Any thoughts?

Have you explored your options under the Extension of Stay (Married) Regulations - only any good if you are married of course.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

What follows refers only to applications to extend retirement visas on the basis of 65k monthly pension/other source income, not to those based on having 800k in a Thai bank.

Consular Section of the British Embassy does not issue verification letters until/unless it has seen documentary proof of the income claimed. No evidence, no verification letter for Immigration. My US pals tell me that US Embassy practice is different: applicants simply have to affirm the income they claim to be receiving and a verification letter is produced. The scope for deceit is obvious.

Para 4 (b) of the attachment (taken from Barstool's serial thread) suggests that Immigration now wish to see Thai documentary evidence (Thai bank statements and letter) of income being received in Thailand. Which is logical, but a nuisance for those like me who, despite 150THB ATM charges, find it more convenient and cheaper to bring money in via ad hoc ATM transactions.

Nothing yet on the Immigration web-site about the change; the Thai Visa thread doesn't give a source beyond an 'advisor' at Sunbelt Asia and I haven't been able to find anything relevant on the Thai Immigration web-site. So it would be very helpful if anyone here who's due to extend could post their experiences/documentary requirements after the event. Maybe the dog has barked a bit too early.

Retirement Visa Renewal Instructions00011.pdf