Sign in to follow this  
enterprise

Burma Rangoon Advice Needed

enterprise

Going in July anyone got any update on hotels, do you pay joiner fees, best places to go to meet freelancers, prices do you need to barter, do girls speak English.

Also any touristy places to visit in daytime, any mongering in daytime. Any day trips to do.

Taxi from airport to hotel, howmuch? do you pay in local currency or American dollar?

Realise it's not Thailand-Pattaya but you need a change every now and then

Ant info please

occasionalpunter

MONEY:

There are no ATM machines in Myanmar. Credit cards, Traveler cheques are likely to be useless so take ALL the money that you need in cash in US dollars before you board the plane to Myanmar. You will need crisp and clean US dollar bills as they will not accept any torn, creased or marked notes. Unfortunately, the US dollar has hit a record low in Burma.

DO NOT change money at the airport because they have a shoddy official exchange rate of like 8 kyats to the dollar instead of 800!! All money exchanges are done on the black market. Pay the taxi driver in US dollars (carry small denomination notes for this although I cannot remember the taxi fare - sorry). You can most likely exchange money at your hotel reception but for best rates go to the Bogyoke Aung San market in town. There will be touts on the streets offering good rates but plenty of scammers around so better safe than sorry and go to the market and pick the best offer - be vigilant, count out the US dollars as you hand it to them, count the Kyats they give to you and you will be fine. Larger US dollar notes get better rates.

TOURIST ATTRACTION:

The main one being the Schwedagon Pagoda. There is the Golden Rock for a day trip I think.

If you have the time, take a trip to Inle Lake and Bagan - flights available and these are well worth going to as Myanmar has a lot more to offer than Yangon.

MONGERING

Two of my best mongering experiences are with Burmese girls. The first, I picked up in Myanmar was an excellent girl friend experience. She spoon fed me dinner, laughed and joked plenty, had good sex although no BJ at night and then in the morning, cuddled up to me all night..can't ask for much more! The second in Bangkok - again wouldn't let go of me and luckily for me unbelievably good BJ too:)

I did not do any daytime mongering so do not have a clue. In the nighttime, I went to the Zero Zone Rock Restaurant which is a nice rooftop restaurant to start your evening 8-10pm. The girls line up bizarrely in a fashion show catwalk style and you can pick the girl you like to come and sit next to you by offering a garland and then agree terms to take her home if you wish after I guess. I just had a couple of beers and tried to take in the Yangon scene! I am not sure which road it was on - the lonely planet guide has the zero zone rock restaurant in there so you can pick up the name or find it online.

On the same road, there are other places and the main ones are the Emperor and Palace discos. I think it kicks off from 11pm really. Both have entrance fees which include drinks. Palace sucked when I went in but Emperor was great. The staff outside will be desperate to get you into their venues but they are nice fun guys. I chatted to them and check both discos out free before making a decision whether to stay. I picked up a lovely girl in Emperor for USD20 I think for the night, went to a hotel of her choice as mine did not take guests. A great time was had. USD20-30 would be the average price I would think in Yangon in my minimal experience.

One thing to bear in mind though, if you are a butterfly let them know! I went the next day to Palace..news filtered through to her in Emperor and she promptly came into Palace and was desperate for me to take her again!

Oh and bear in mind that the girls are very poor, pay them a decent amount, treat the girls well and you will be rewarded with a wonderful experience.

Edited by occasionalpunter

chusky

Really good info from the Danish mate! :Good_Post:

I was in Burma last April, so if you have time... just take a look to my TR. Maybe you can find some useful info too.

:Bye5: :Bye5:

occasionalpunter

I don't know why I have a Danish flag next to me..never been lol!..will try and get that changed to the UK:)

enterprise

MONEY:

There are no ATM machines in Myanmar. Credit cards, Traveler cheques are likely to be useless so take ALL the money that you need in cash in US dollars before you board the plane to Myanmar. You will need crisp and clean US dollar bills as they will not accept any torn, creased or marked notes. Unfortunately, the US dollar has hit a record low in Burma.

DO NOT change money at the airport because they have a shoddy official exchange rate of like 8 kyats to the dollar instead of 800!! All money exchanges are done on the black market. Pay the taxi driver in US dollars (carry small denomination notes for this although I cannot remember the taxi fare - sorry). You can most likely exchange money at your hotel reception but for best rates go to the Bogyoke Aung San market in town. There will be touts on the streets offering good rates but plenty of scammers around so better safe than sorry and go to the market and pick the best offer - be vigilant, count out the US dollars as you hand it to them, count the Kyats they give to you and you will be fine. Larger US dollar notes get better rates.

TOURIST ATTRACTION:

The main one being the Schwedagon Pagoda. There is the Golden Rock for a day trip I think.

If you have the time, take a trip to Inle Lake and Bagan - flights available and these are well worth going to as Myanmar has a lot more to offer than Yangon.

MONGERING

Two of my best mongering experiences are with Burmese girls. The first, I picked up in Myanmar was an excellent girl friend experience. She spoon fed me dinner, laughed and joked plenty, had good sex although no BJ at night and then in the morning, cuddled up to me all night..can't ask for much more! The second in Bangkok - again wouldn't let go of me and luckily for me unbelievably good BJ too:)

I did not do any daytime mongering so do not have a clue. In the nighttime, I went to the Zero Zone Rock Restaurant which is a nice rooftop restaurant to start your evening 8-10pm. The girls line up bizarrely in a fashion show catwalk style and you can pick the girl you like to come and sit next to you by offering a garland and then agree terms to take her home if you wish after I guess. I just had a couple of beers and tried to take in the Yangon scene! I am not sure which road it was on - the lonely planet guide has the zero zone rock restaurant in there so you can pick up the name or find it online.

On the same road, there are other places and the main ones are the Emperor and Palace discos. I think it kicks off from 11pm really. Both have entrance fees which include drinks. Palace sucked when I went in but Emperor was great. The staff outside will be desperate to get you into their venues but they are nice fun guys. I chatted to them and check both discos out free before making a decision whether to stay. I picked up a lovely girl in Emperor for USD20 I think for the night, went to a hotel of her choice as mine did not take guests. A great time was had. USD20-30 would be the average price I would think in Yangon in my minimal experience.

One thing to bear in mind though, if you are a butterfly let them know! I went the next day to Palace..news filtered through to her in Emperor and she promptly came into Palace and was desperate for me to take her again!

Oh and bear in mind that the girls are very poor, pay them a decent amount, treat the girls well and you will be rewarded with a wonderful experience.

Thanks for the info 20-30 dollars is same phnom phen, do the girls speak English?, are the people friendly to foreigners, met many good people in Cambodia, normally quite suspicious if people are too friendl, spent too long in Thailand.y

enterprise

Really good info from the Danish mate! :Good_Post:

I was in Burma last April, so if you have time... just take a look to my TR. Maybe you can find some useful info too.

:Bye5: :Bye5:

Thanks i'll check it out,

occasionalpunter

I only picked up the one girl in Yangon and she was the only one I spoke to so I cannot comment on their language skills. She could speak a little bit and I suspect a few others will be able to also. Just ask the wait staff for guidance. In general, I found people in Yangon who could speak a little bit of English so it was fine and the people were friendly too.

newtothis

Hi,

Wonderful thread...

Any recommended Girl Friend Friendly hotels in Yangoon?

Cheers

enterprise

I only picked up the one girl in Yangon and she was the only one I spoke to so I cannot comment on their language skills. She could speak a little bit and I suspect a few others will be able to also. Just ask the wait staff for guidance. In general, I found people in Yangon who could speak a little bit of English so it was fine and the people were friendly too.

Can you recommend any hotels, how did you get about, can you walk, is it safe at night, do you take taxi,, rickshaw someone wrote they had banned motorcycles, find it difficult to believe, as its normal mode of transport in many asian countries.

How do you rate it compared to Cambodia, the people there were poor but friendly and the girls also friendly more gfe

occasionalpunter

I was in a cheap guesthouse picked up from the lonely planet guide. It was not girl friendly so I cannot recommend any hotels. If you are booking from here then probably best to just ask them directly on this point.

I picked up taxis to the tourist spots. Buses are available also. I don't recollect seeing any motorbike taxis or rentals like in Thailand but my memory is hazy on that. As I was staying pretty close to the nightlife I walked around these spots at night and felt safe but again did not have more than just the cash i needed for the night with me as I do when I go out in any country at night.

Burma vs Cambodia..I only spent a few spontaneous days in Myanmar so don't know enough to really compare the two. Personally, I had fantastic interactions with Cambodian people so would put them above in the friendliness pecking order but Burmese people are friendly too. I happened to get a great GFE in Myanmar but just the one girl so

cannot speak for other girls. However I wonder whether you will too on the basis that it is a small mongering scene with less hardened pros as they seem to have in say Pattaya. I have not mongered as such in Cambodia but hit a few bars and had decent conversations with girls as they seem to have speak good conversational English whereas this will be more difficult in Myanmar.

I'm rambling but hope that helps.

sl4ppy

Emperor/Palace are winding down about 11pm - they start about 8/8:30pm with the model show girls arriving around 9. Entry ~$5 incl 1 drink

Lion World on this street is pretty good for a meal and also has some model/singing shows

$30 is pretty normal nowadays though $20/25 still possible, model girls usually a bit more (sometimes a lot more).

I believe JJ's is open again now and that was always the place open latest (1:30-2am) and the biggest with lots of girls and better shows. I prefer Emperor (locally pronounced Empire)

You can walk at night but if you leave with a girl then get a taxi (they could get arrested...), also the pavements aren't the easiest to walk on in the dark.

Girls - don't be surprised if you don't get a BJ.

Don't expect to be walking around in the daytime with them (I have a LT who does with me but not normal) and they'll probably want have left the room by around 9am.

Daytime: Best to get numbers during the night, most 'mamasans' have cell phones and you can call and order during the day, I usually pay $20/25 for the afternoon, some street girls around the cinema nearest to Panorama hotel - $10 for an hour.

Very few of the girls are 'independent'.

Hotels: Panorama is the most GF though most other mainstream hotels are as well, sometimes $5/10 joiner fee.

Grand Mee Ya Tha probably best value (apartment and has a pool ~$60ish) but I've heard lately they can be fussy about ID's (not all girls have the official government id, it costs money, but they can usually borrow one from a friend for $1 - you'll be expected to pay this)

I'm traveling at the moment but let me know if you've any more specific questions.

Edited by sl4ppy

enterprise

Emperor/Palace are winding down about 11pm - they start about 8/8:30pm with the model show girls arriving around 9. Entry ~$5 incl 1 drink

Lion World on this street is pretty good for a meal and also has some model/singing shows

$30 is pretty normal nowadays though $20/25 still possible, model girls usually a bit more (sometimes a lot more).

I believe JJ's is open again now and that was always the place open latest (1:30-2am) and the biggest with lots of girls and better shows. I prefer Emperor (locally pronounced Empire)

You can walk at night but if you leave with a girl then get a taxi (they could get arrested...), also the pavements aren't the easiest to walk on in the dark.

Girls - don't be surprised if you don't get a BJ.

Don't expect to be walking around in the daytime with them (I have a LT who does with me but not normal) and they'll probably want have left the room by around 9am.

Daytime: Best to get numbers during the night, most 'mamasans' have cell phones and you can call and order during the day, I usually pay $20/25 for the afternoon, some street girls around the cinema nearest to Panorama Hotel - $10 for an hour.

Very few of the girls are 'independent'.

Hotels: Panorama is the most GF though most other mainstream hotels are as well, sometimes $5/10 joiner fee.

Grand Mee Ya Tha probably best value (apartment and has a pool ~$60ish) but I've heard lately they can be fussy about ID's (not all girls have the official government id, it costs money, but they can usually borrow one from a friend for $1 - you'll be expected to pay this)

I'm traveling at the moment but let me know if you've any more specific questions.

Thanks for the info, what are fashion shows, are these girls available, someone said you buy garlands but i didn't quite understand.

normaly just smile make eye contact, talk.if get a good feeling, negociate fee.

occasionalpunter

The fashion show is just a parade of the available girls. If you like a girl, tell the waiter/barman. You basically buy for a small fee a garland (flower necklace) to put around her neck during the fashion show. It effectively means that after the show she will come and sit with you for a while so you can decide whether to take her or not. Just sit and watch one fashion show when you get there and it will make sense.

These girls move around from bar to bar to do the shows it seems because I had offered a garland to a stunner but since I had not personally put it around her neck and the barman was too busy chatting to me, she didn't quite make it to me and had already wandered off to the next bar for another show by the time I asked him where she was. :Hair_Out1:

It would be good to hear back of your experiences on your return mate.

Edited by occasionalpunter

Vego69

I'm really interested in yor experiences. Please report back as tell us how you go. I'm doing a short trip in September. Was think of staying at the Park Royal which has an inhouse niteclub. Anyone confirm whether it is girl friendly?? Think I read something a while back about small joiner?

sl4ppy

I'm really interested in yor experiences. Please report back as tell us how you go. I'm doing a short trip in September. Was think of staying at the Park Royal which has an inhouse niteclub. Anyone confirm whether it is girl friendly?? Think I read something a while back about small joiner?

It is GF but conflicting reports about joiner, some saying if you book for 2 then no joiner, others (including me) charged $10.

Personally didn't like this hotel (mostly due to staff attitude) but have friends who stay there and like it...

Edited by sl4ppy

sl4ppy

Thanks for the info, what are fashion shows, are these girls available, someone said you buy garlands but i didn't quite understand.

normaly just smile make eye contact, talk.if get a good feeling, negotiate fee.

Fashion shows are where groups of girls go around various venues parading on the catwalk/stage. Your expected to buy the "flower" (a string of tinsel) for around $5 and they'll come and talk with you. They get $2 of this themselves. I always find it best to put the tinsel around their neck myself.

You can be outbid but this is rare (i.e. you buy her a flower, I buy two - she'll come and sit with me)

Then assuming they can speak some english and aren't too shy/afraid of foreigners they'll come and have a chat. This is your opportunity to do a deal.

They won't be able to meet you until their last show is finished (say 12:30, but could be later if they go to JJ's) but you may be able to negotiate this with their mamasan.

They do tend to be more approachable in venues like JJ's, Palace and Emperor without buying the tinsel.

Note they may already be booked up (if so they'll claim to have a headache, sore stomach, etc).

They're also not necessarily the hottest girls.

Edited by sl4ppy

enterprise

Thanks for all the info, off on Friday will do a post on return, hopefully can get a few photo's