IGNORED

Suvarnabhumi Airport to Get Automatic Passport Check System

Sisu

Suvarnabhumi Airport has invested more than 76 million baht on an automatic passport inspection system to address the problem of overcrowding at the immigration checkpoints.

Deputy director of the Suvarnabhumi Airport, Wilaiwan Nadwilai, reported that to address the problem of overcrowding and lines at immigration checkpoints, more than 76 million baht have been invested for the installation of an automatic passport inspection system.

Eight machines will be installed at the arrival section and another eight at the departure section.

Passengers will be able to check themselves in and out without the need for immigration officials.

This will reduce the immigration processing time from 45 seconds per person to 25 seconds.

The airport expects the system to go online at the end of the year.

Wilaiwan also said that the airport authority is currently drawing up the terms of reference for the bidding process for the installation of an air conditioning system.

She believes that the winning contractor will be able to start the installation later this year.

Do these systems work?

babydollsaddict.gif

I shower only me

The streets don't change but maybe the names

never came across these systems before. so with that if they go in and they work does that then stop them from stamping your passport ?

Do these systems work?

They use them in the US under the GOES program. They work great but only for prescreened residents.

There are similar system in use in more airport in Europe and they work fine. They scan the pass and you proceed for a biometric eye scan and off you go. No idea how they'll deal with the stamp, maybe self service?

Scanning the passport is the easy bit, it's the immigration card that takes the time.

In the UK all passports are scanned but visitors still need to fill out an immigration card.

The immigration card would have to become electronic and pre-checked prior to departure.

Being Thailand it should be up and running by about 2021.

lol, I mean, how long did that train from airport to BKK take, like 15 years or something.

I'm curious as to how they got that "45 seconds" immigration processing time from the article above. In all my trips to Thailand, never ever ever has it taken 45 seconds. Not even close. Always been a line of people across all booths. Maybe if you're one of those lucky passengers whose arrival time doesn't coincide with other flights and the like.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

We have a system like that in Vancouver. It scans your pass port and then takes the customs form and scans it and you get a photo copy scan of your customs form. You then proceed to leave the area but there is one officer that will stop you and ask questions. If your lucky you get to claim your bags and leave. Or if your like me they send me for secondary inspection.......... :P :P at least they haven't asked me to do this....... :Moon2: LOL

as for how passports will be stamp I guess we will find out.

• 2 weeks later...

There might be restrictions if for instance your biometric such as fingerprint needs to be registered.

It might only be restricted to Thai citizens or residents...

As for the time taken, my experience is it is the queuing that is the problem. I always seem to be behind someone that has problems...