IGNORED

Teeth Whitening

abdullah the butcher

Hi guys. This is my first post, and I write it because I see that there is quite a lot interest in teeth whitening. This is general advice that I am giving you guys - Im a dentist by trade and do about 600 cases of teeth whitening a year in London.

• You need to have a thorough dental examination prior to any teeth whitening
  • You must not embark upon any teeth whitening prior to fixing any leaking fillings or rotten teeth- you'll end up possibly in considerable pain/sensitivity
  • You need to make sure there is no gum disease- be wary if the the dentist is still willing to whiten your teeth. If you've got bleeding gums get this sorted first.
  • Best results are achieved if teeth are thoroughly cleaned professionally prior to whitening.
  • Results will only last a maximum of 18 months to two years.
  • Unfortuneately some people are more prone to sensitivity than others after whitening.
  • Make sure the dentist has some of his own before and after pictures
  • Make sure that the dentist knows how to use the system that they will use on you-I have seen some shockers, espescially with the laser whitening
  • If you inherently have pre-existing sensitivity, avoid the laser whitening and opt for profeesional home kits.

There are two main forms of teeth whitening, In-office (laser) or home kit. My advice is to avoid buying stuff from shops- some of the crap I saw on my last visit could strip doors-imagine what the'd do to your gnashers! Whichever form of whitening you use, my advice is to see a dentist first, and to follow their advice.

There's generally slightly more that can go "wrong" with the laser type of whitening. Its not really a laser, its a blue lamp that heats the gel which is applied to your teeth, and activates it. The dentist has to place special barriers over your soft tissue-gums,lips etc, in order to make sure that none of the gel is in contact with them or accidentally burned (very painful- you would need vitamin d cream to apply to the area. If you have whitish colouring of the gum, then this is not as painful, but slap on some vit d and it should go in a few days). Also, make sure that they give you shaded safety glasses to where as you don't want any effects on your eyesight.

As the chemicals used are of a much higher concentration than those found in the home kits, there's a higher likelihood of post whitening sensitivity- this can last for upto 10 days after. There is a very small risk of permanent damage to the nerves in teeth with any whitening, but this is much more likely if you have rotten, or leaking teeth (cracks, cracked old fillings). You may also experience "zingers"- short elecric shock type sensitivity-this can last for a few days and generally ibuprofen does the job. The biggest advantage of this type of whitening is time and convenience- 1 or 2 hours, and job done. I generally dont like this type of whitening, but patients love it.

Home whitening is the safer but longer way to go about things. The dentist will make some custom whitening trays (he needs to take moulds of your teeth, and will provide you with a carbamide peroxide gel (7-15%) which you palce into the trays for 1-2 hours a day. There is a lower likelihood of severe sensitivity, but you may need to wear the trays for anything between 5-10 days. It is much cheaper, and if you look after the trays, you can buy a tube of the gell in year or so to top up your whitening-much more cost effective. If you are being given bog standard over the counter trays, please make a swift exit from the dentist- they are normally poorly fitting and you may end up traumatising your gums.

If you do get sensitivity, then you're best best is some sensodyne, fluride mouthrinse and ibuprofen, it should settle. But, if it persists longer than a few days, and is getting worse, then you need to go back.

Best of luck!

IF YOU STAND FOR NOTHING, YOU WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING

babydollsaddict.gif

Or save a shit load of money and buy some bi-carb soda and dip your toothbrush/paste into the bi-carb. Do this every 2nd day of brushing and your teeth will feel fresh,no bad breath and look white and clean. Been doing this for years and had NO problems EVER.

I am sure abullah will find reason not too promote the above !!! :GrinNod1:

Or save a shit load of money and buy some bi-carb soda and dip your toothbrush/paste into the bi-carb. Do this every 2nd day of brushing and your teeth will feel fresh,no bad breath and look white and clean. Been doing this for years and had NO problems EVER.

I am sure abullah will find reason not too promote the above !!! :GrinNod1:

On the contrary, baking soda has been used for nearly 70 years in a variety of whitening toothpastes (eg arm and hammer in the uk) and still is used today. Its very good at removing surface stain and making teeth appear cleaner and whiter. It wont whiten certain types of staining which is why people who've tried the toothpastes will stll elect for professional whitening, but if it works for you (and many others) then there is no harm in it. The only piece of advice I would have for you is to use it twice a week rather than every alternate day as it is a mild abrasive, and as an oxidising agent it can also debond certain types of fillings over time if over used.

The above post was not for advocating teeth whitening, but for arming addicts considering it, to have it done in a way that they are informed and aware.

babydollsaddict.gif

Thanks for the advice Abdullah, one of these days I am going to get my teeth white again to look even more handsome!

i appreciate the spirit that the advice was given in. i bet a dentist salary allows you quite a budget for fucking. Enjoy my friend!

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

On the subject of teeth kun Abdullah, I am thinking of getting a composite veneer treatment in Pattaya on my teeth because they are very stained from smoking and a lot enamel has worn off due to aggressive brushing by my good self. I don't want to get porcelain veneers for financial reasons and the fact that they can't be reversed.

Given your professional background what are your thoughts/suggestions kind sir?

On the subject of teeth kun Abdullah, I am thinking of getting a composite veneer treatment in Pattaya on my teeth because they are very stained from smoking and a lot enamel has worn off due to aggressive brushing by my good self. I don't want to get porcelain veneers for financial reasons and the fact that they can't be reversed.

Given your professional background what are your thoughts/suggestions kind sir?

ROO TED

I am happy to give advice.

Composite veneers have quite a lot of advantages over porcelain veneers, but there are some disadvantages also.

COMPOSITE

A resin based material that is bonded to the tooth surface. Think of it as an adhesive aesthetic/cosmetic plastic. Generally, no drilling of the tooth surface is required, instead the surface is etched with a striong acid followed by application of a primer/bonding agent which is cured using a blue curing light. Following this, the composite material is added and shaped, followed by curing again. In essence it is reversible, ie it can be drilled off. The advantages are that it is cheaper, requires only one visit, is repairable should the veneer fracture, and much more conservative.

Disadvantages are that it is not as resistant to heavy brushing (stop scrubbing your teeth so hard, and use a softer brush) so you may "wear" these also. If your teeth are very badly stained, then unless your dentist is very skilled, some of the original shade may "shine" through. It can also be difficult to get a very high quality polish- this depends on the composite used. They are liable to picking up stain, and can also start leaking over time around the edges of the veneer giving the appearance of a dark outline.

Porcelain veneers are not repairable should they chip/break, are much more expensive, will require some drilling of the teeth.But, cosmetically they give the better result, may last longer, and if the underlying teeth are very dark will mask this a lot better. They are probably 5-6 times more expensive than the composite alternative (in my clinics anyway). They are bonded on with a composite adhesive.

If I was in your position, then I would have composite veneers done first- I cant imagine them being very expensive, and they are "reversible". Ask the dentist to show you examples of his previous composite venners. As far as shade goes, try not to make them any whiter than the whites of your eyes- if they are strikingly different then they will look more artificial. He should be able to do your visible smile in a day.

Hope this helps, but if you need any further toothish advice, then just let me know.

babydollsaddict.gif

^Thanks very much for the advice Abdullah, particularly regarding shade.

I realise the drawbacks of composite veneers but am going to go ahead anyway.

I've looked at some of the Pattaya dentists sites and see that you can get composites done for as little as 1500 baht per tooth.

I'll be arriving next Friday and making an appointment for the following week.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

is it possible to have teeth whitened if i suffer from receding gums?

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

HI Deano,

Although it is possible to have teeth whitening with receeding gums, there are a few things that you need to be aware of:

1. if your recession is due to gum disease, then you need to get this fixed first

2. If you have the teeth whitening done, it would be a good idea to get the receeded parts covered with composite first (otherwise you can expect some sensitivity)

3. If your teeth are already sensitive then either avoid the whole process or elect for the home whitening option- the trays can be fabricated "short" of the receeded parts. The sensible option, however, would be to cover them with composite first.

Hope this helps, but if any further dental queries just post them here.

babydollsaddict.gif

'Abdullah the butcher' and a dentist by trade? :LMFO:

I had the blue laser treatment done 4 years ago and would reccommend it to anyone considering it. In and out in 2hrs.

Made a big difference and they have barely faded since having it done. Expensive but worth it.

:NiceThread1:

HI Deano,

Although it is possible to have teeth whitening with receeding gums, there are a few things that you need to be aware of:

1. if your recession is due to gum disease, then you need to get this fixed first2. If you have the teeth whitening done, it would be a good idea to get the receeded parts covered with composite first (otherwise you can expect some sensitivity)

3. If your teeth are already sensitive then either avoid the whole process or elect for the home whitening option- the trays can be fabricated "short" of the receeded parts. The sensible option, however, would be to cover them with composite first.

Hope this helps, but if any further dental queries just post them here.

My doctor( saw him for another problem) told me its very hard to get rid of,Is this true ?

I have had bleeding gums and teeth pain on and off for many years, is this gum disease?

• 2 weeks later...

Apropros my previous posts, I have gone ahead and had composite veneers on my top teeth and couple of the bottom ones.

I got it done at a dentist at Dental For You clinic on Pattaya Tai opposite Tuk Com.

It took about an hour and a half.

All very straight forward and certianly no discomfort.

The stained and enamel-damaged choppers are no covered with a nice veneer.

The colour is not ultra-bright but then again my teeth very yellowish to start with. I'm very happy with the results.

The clinic advertises on the web and the quote per tooth is 1500 baht. They only charged me 1000 baht per tooth and I walked out after handing over the princely sum of 10000 baht. A bargain I reckon. I'm sure this would have cost me at least the equivalent of 40000 baht back home.

I highly recommend this clinic.

Edited by Roo Ted

• 1 month later...

I got it done at a dentist at Dental For You clinic on Pattaya Tai opposite Tuk Com.

The clinic advertises on the web and the quote per tooth is 1500 baht. They only charged me 1000 baht per tooth and I walked out after handing over the princely sum of 10000 baht. A bargain I reckon.

Thanks for the info. Have walked by this place a few times. Can I ask why you think they only charged you 1000 baht instead of 1500? That is quite the savings. Maybe because it is slow season now. This place is in walking distance of my apartment so I will stop by tonight. I am in the final stages of making a decision and it all comes down to recommendations at this point. Seen a few places on Soi Buakow that have gotten a little scared....

On the contrary, baking soda has been used for nearly 70 years in a variety of whitening toothpastes (eg arm and hammer in the uk) and still is used today.

Thanks for the info Abdullah, really helpful. I have been searching around for laser teeth whitening in Pattaya for a week or so. I see some "shady looking" places are around 4500 to 5000 baht but Dental 4 You

http://www.dental4youpattaya.com/fee.html

Charges 7000 for laser and 9000 for Zoom. (Not even sure what the difference is). Maybe this is one of those "you get what you pay for" situations. If I go cheap I might not be happy with the results..

I already have the trays and use DayWhite ACP 9.5% Hydrogen Peroxide which has 2 parts to it, the whitening gel and some other substance that comes out of the tube that is supposed to reduce the sensitivity. Which does the job very very well I might add.

I do like the immediate results and level of whiteness the laser gives you though. Which is why it's so popular I am sure.

Any advice on the difference between the two treatments above??

Thank you very much for your expert a piece of advise. I am sure your advise are useful. I saw many times in Patts but no had courage for it.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Thanks for the info Abdullah, really helpful. I have been searching around for laser teeth whitening in Pattaya for a week or so. I see some "shady looking" places are around 4500 to 5000 baht but Dental 4 You

http://www.dental4youpattaya.com/fee.html

Charges 7000 for laser and 9000 for Zoom. (Not even sure what the difference is). Maybe this is one of those "you get what you pay for" situations. If I go cheap I might not be happy with the results..

I already have the trays and use DayWhite ACP 9.5% Hydrogen Peroxide which has 2 parts to it, the whitening gel and some other substance that comes out of the tube that is supposed to reduce the sensitivity. Which does the job very very well I might add.

I do like the immediate results and level of whiteness the laser gives you though. Which is why it's so popular I am sure.

Any advice on the difference between the two treatments above??

The ACP 2 part paste system is excellent and what i use for my patients- it is actually made by the same people who manufacture zoom. I prefer the home whitening- its controlled by you, the sensitivity is less of an issue and it is less harsh. The cp in ACP is actually intials for additional chemicals they place in the gel to make the procedure less sensitive- it gets a big thumbs up from me. They also make a NIGHTWHITE version, which is a slightly higher concentration (green tube in the UK)- i give this as a booster dose to patients with resistant or difficult shades- 1 or 2 applications of this is usually enough to blind anyone looking at your smile. Remember to avoid eating or drinking anything that could stain a white t-shirt during the days that you are whitening- this will give you the best results.

babydollsaddict.gif