IGNORED

Farang beggars and scroungers

pattayaguru

Well you have hit a nerve with me with that, scroungers you say, Ive been here nearly 6 years now and couldnt count the amount of times Ive been asked for cigs, ok its only a cigarette but to me its more than that, I used to smoke bensons when you could get them, at the time they were 85 bt a pack, cheap compared with uk, Im sitting in a bar a guy comes over from the next table picks up my bensons and say do you mind if I take one, I said they sell them behind the bar here, I only want one he says, he was smoking wonder 20bt a pack, I said well if you buy a pack you can have one when you feel like it, well you wouldnt beleive the shit I got off him, starts banging on about this isn't uk and how cheap they are here, so I said well if they are that cheap fucking buy some, anyhow after starting to turn a little violent and threatening me,I put down my drink and said ok lets go, you obviously get upset when you are scrounging and people say no to you, Im not a scrapper but he just went a bit too far, anyhow he backed down in the end, But really why when you say no to a scrounger why do they get upset. Its happened to me loads of times people get angry when you say no, borrowers as well I will never lend money to someone here ever, its amazing how quickly it becomes thier money and what a problem you have getting it back. There is one guy I would really love to mention, but no names eh? well he's the biggest scrounger Ive ever come across, must have asked me 50 times one day, to buy him a drink, in the end I did bout him two rounds, best money I ever spent because now he ignores me.

i agree with what you saying it gets my back up as well the amount of farang bumming cigarettes you dont mind the odd 1 now and again when you see the same guy day in and out asking, winds me up,

also the thais in pattaya thai men always asking dont mind giving working girls, but going back to the original topic you cant have no shame to beg and scrounge i wonder what the thai people in pattaya think when they see farang scroungers??

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was drinking in a bar on soi lengkee playing pool with a girl and a apparently drunk Belgian guy with a black eye challenged me to a game. Played a couple of games and though he acted drunk I started to suspect he wasn't as wasted as he appeared sure enough he challenged me to a game for money 200bhat I agreed and won we played again got to the point where he owed me 800bhat and I wanted to leave to go meet some friends. He wasn't very happy and asked for double or nothing I refused as i had to go and unsurprisingly he refused to pay up. I just left couldn't be bothered causing a scene over something so trivial but thought to myself now i know how he got his black eye and also that if your going to embark on a career as a pool shark being good at pool would be a real advantage this guy was shit!

been approached one time from a england woman begging for money saying she got robbed everything (passport, wallet, backpack) and want to get enough money to go back home.

I said, go to your ambassy sweet heart and they will be more than happy to send you back home..

On my ninth trip i met a German guy in the bangkok airport.

Who told me he was beaten up in changmai by some thais and got robbed

and asked 2400 baht in order to get his tickets changed.I was about to give

in but some alarms bells went off he became so pushy towards getting my money

i just said sorry my taxi is here and went off.

I had a swiss ? man, middle 30's chat me up at BKK airport. Said he was stuck for the next 24 hours and could I give him enough baht to eat.

Did not believe his story( no ticket-boarding pass etc) He was hanging around the departure area outside smoking area about # 8 door or 9 International area.

Told him all my baht went to overstay visa fee.....

There is a homeless thai man that hangs out in front of LJ in Jomtien who tries to mooch beers , seems to do fairly well, the girls all know him, and will chase him down for the empty beer bottles and condoms :)

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

Well I guess I have nothing to worry about these types coming up to me with their 'sob' stories. I'll just say me no speaky english :)

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I had a swiss ? man, middle 30's chat me up at BKK airport. Said he was stuck for the next 24 hours and could I give him enough baht to eat.

Did not believe his story( no ticket-boarding pass etc) He was hanging around the departure area outside smoking area about # 8 door or 9 International area.

Told him all my baht went to overstay visa fee.....

There is a homeless thai man that hangs out in front of LJ in Jomtien who tries to mooch beers , seems to do fairly well, the girls all know him, and will chase him down for the empty beer bottles and condoms :)

In the old days of the 500 baht "exit tax" I used to get approached just about every time I left Thailand by people asking for 500 baht as they had arrived at the airport with no monye and didnt know about the tax.

I would guess 90% of them were genuine but undoubtedly there were many scammers collecting many 500 bahts a day.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I think I have been scammed by the same Swedish guy that you're talking about, maybe one or two years ago on second rd./soi diana around 4-5 in the morning. He even told me that he used to work for Ericsson. I gave him 100 B - damn.

Any ways this trip some young French guy wanted me to give him money so he could change a flight, as he was late for his scheduled flight because of a theft. He then said that he would transfer the money to me from his online bank and there would be no risk for me...hm

All so in BKK I saw a falang who was busted in 7'en for stealing. Clearly down on his luck.

I guess in time many more people with problems make their way to Thailand and like the lifestyle.

BR

Jens

Pussy always wins, it's undefeated

Well you have hit a nerve with me with that, scroungers you say, Ive been here nearly 6 years now and couldnt count the amount of times Ive been asked for cigs, ok its only a cigarette but to me its more than that, I used to smoke bensons when you could get them, at the time they were 85 bt a pack, cheap compared with uk, Im sitting in a bar a guy comes over from the next table picks up my bensons and say do you mind if I take one, I said they sell them behind the bar here, I only want one he says, he was smoking wonder 20bt a pack, I said well if you buy a pack you can have one when you feel like it, well you wouldnt beleive the shit I got off him, starts banging on about this isn't uk and how cheap they are here, so I said well if they are that cheap fucking buy some, anyhow after starting to turn a little violent and threatening me,I put down my drink and said ok lets go, you obviously get upset when you are scrounging and people say no to you, Im not a scrapper but he just went a bit too far, anyhow he backed down in the end, But really why when you say no to a scrounger why do they get upset. Its happened to me loads of times people get angry when you say no, borrowers as well I will never lend money to someone here ever, its amazing how quickly it becomes thier money and what a problem you have getting it back. There is one guy I would really love to mention, but no names eh? well he's the biggest scrounger Ive ever come across, must have asked me 50 times one day, to buy him a drink, in the end I did bout him two rounds, best money I ever spent because now he ignores me.

Never lend money to anybody in Patts; you are not a bank.

I don't know about other embassies but Finnish embassies around the world doesn't give any financial support no matter what your situation is. They will only advice how your friends or relatives can send you money with DHL or UPS etc. but nothing else.

babydollsaddict.gif

I shower only me

The streets don't change but maybe the names

Had a guy on Soi 13 ask for some money. I was up early, headed out to go to 7-11 to get some drinks for the girl and myself, on the way back up to the hotel, this guy starts some small talk and how he was returning on one of the island trips and his waist bag got stolen. I told him I didn't have any cash on me, he then suggested I head up to the room to get some money for him, or go to the ATM and get him some. I had maybe 100baht on me (dont like to bring more than what I need). I tried to politely tell him I couldn't help him. He just wasn't hearing it. almost turned in to harassment. Finally just finished my cig and left. I normally don't mind helping people out...but just be honest. If dude came up and said he needed some money to get a drink or what not...I prolly would have helped him out.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone know what the story is with the tall, black haired, one flip flop scrounger that hangs around soi Diana is?

I tryed talking to him last week but he was out of his mind on something..

So you never wanted a regular type life?

What the fuck is that...? Barbeques and ballgames?

There's been low life like this for twenty years that I know of in patts. And it's only true to say that back then the majority seemed to be (very depessesnigly) my own countrymen - British.

But it's also very true that since I'd say from about the mid 90's (that I saw anyway) many other nationalities have 'joined in' as it were on to the scrounger circuit.

Back then so many were from the merseyside region of the UK & as soon as they'd open there mouth to me, I was only too happy to tell em "Soi Bor-DaI" (I can't/won't help you!)

In fact I'd not shed a tear if they did starve.....Pah! no chance of that, they were claiming all sorts of benefits back home & had a lot more money comming in than I did.

Nowadays scrounging seems to have become multi national, so perhaps (bloody ironically from a hard working Brits point of view anyway)...it's not such a bad thing to see!

There's been low life like this for twenty years that I know of in patts. And it's only true to say that back then the majority seemed to be (very depessesnigly) my own countrymen - British.

But it's also very true that since I'd say from about the mid 90's (that I saw anyway) many other nationalities have 'joined in' as it were on to the scrounger circuit.

Back then so many were from the merseyside region of the UK & as soon as they'd open there mouth to me, I was only too happy to tell em "Soi Bor-DaI" (I can't/won't help you!)

In fact I'd not shed a tear if they did starve.....Pah! no chance of that, they were claiming all sorts of benefits back home & had a lot more money comming in than I did.

Nowadays scrounging seems to have become multi national, so perhaps (bloody ironically from a hard working Brits point of view anyway)...it's not such a bad thing to see!

That is an excellent call. Well put and totally correct.

It seems that Pattaya has the magnetic draw for scroungers, spongers and other ne'er-do-wells. One has to put up with the locals trying it on and now the pressure is from the Westerners. Advice - just look at them dispassionately, as if you don't speak their language. If they persist, just kick them in the bollocks !!!

30 odd years ago I was on holiday in France. Caravanning with my, then, young family. This was in the days before internet, ATMs etc. Had just a few quid left and was heading back to the ferry. Long story short, car broke down, towed to a repair place in the back of beyond and caravan put in a deserted farm yard. It was a 8 or 9 KM walk to nearest township. Spent the last 5 quid, after paying some to garage, on food for the family - bread and cheese - then went to bank to see what could be done to get last 200 Francs to get car fixed and get on road again. Bank let me phone mine in UK who agreed to send the money, but it would take a week. French bank unable to help. So I was stuck back of beyond, young family no money and a week to wait. Phoned embassy, all they said was if I went to Paris to see them, they might be able to help with repatriation. I then explained that the reason I was phoning was because I had no money to get to ferry let alone all the way to Paris. They were as much help as a chocolate teapot.

It was scary. No I didn't go begging in the streets, but it came very close to that. Luckily, one of the cashiers had been eavesdropping on my conversation and the next day she turned up at my caravan. Told us all to get into her car. We went to her fathers farm where we were given the best meal I have ever had in my life. Then next day she turned up at the caravan again with the 2000 Francs I needed for the car, we got the garage started on the repair, packed my bags and she took us to the ferry terminal where I was able to use a UK cheque to get us home.

So remember, there are some scammers out there but there are some genuine cases and thank god there are some people who are willing to just trust and believe...

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

30 odd years ago I was on holiday in France. Caravanning with my, then, young family. This was in the days before internet, ATMs etc. Had just a few quid left and was heading back to the ferry. Long story short, car broke down, towed to a repair place in the back of beyond and caravan put in a deserted farm yard. It was a 8 or 9 KM walk to nearest township. Spent the last 5 quid, after paying some to garage, on food for the family - bread and cheese - then went to bank to see what could be done to get last 200 Francs to get car fixed and get on road again. Bank let me phone mine in UK who agreed to send the money, but it would take a week. French bank unable to help. So I was stuck back of beyond, young family no money and a week to wait. Phoned embassy, all they said was if I went to Paris to see them, they might be able to help with repatriation. I then explained that the reason I was phoning was because I had no money to get to ferry let alone all the way to Paris. They were as much help as a chocolate teapot.

It was scary. No I didn't go begging in the streets, but it came very close to that. Luckily, one of the cashiers had been eavesdropping on my conversation and the next day she turned up at my caravan. Told us all to get into her car. We went to her fathers farm where we were given the best meal I have ever had in my life. Then next day she turned up at the caravan again with the 2000 Francs I needed for the car, we got the garage started on the repair, packed my bags and she took us to the ferry terminal where I was able to use a UK cheque to get us home.

So remember, there are some scammers out there but there are some genuine cases and thank god there are some people who are willing to just trust and believe...

Your quite right!

A mate & myself had some great help when touring around Germany motorbikes, one night after getting caught in a huge all day thunder storm near the town of Fulda. (1986)

(next to the then East/West border) We could not find anywhere to stay so we camped up in a bus shelter.

We had no money either becuse we couldn't find a bank in time. After 2+ Hours of shivering & being soaking wet a guy stopped by in a car & said "Yes, thought you'd be Brits'! "Come on-follow me"

(funnily enough the guys name was 'Willy' - when we told him to be very carefull how you say that - he really laughed)

He took us to his folks house where we bathed, got fed, got drunk, had our clothes washed & dried, then given camp beds for the night. We found a bank next morning, then returned to the house but they'd had gone out, with a message left on the door. The message said, "Good luck & God bless you"

Sent em a gift on our return to Blighty though.

So yes, not everyone in need has bad intentions, but so many we see around LoS are just Toe-Rag idle Scroungers, & have no wish to earn thier money but seem content to sponge an easy life off you & I.

Even if that means distressing you on your holiday - a holiday which ain't free, but which you & I have to work so bloody hard for.

Being honest though, just sometimes, I think I'd be very tempted to pay good money (perhaps 2k Baht) & see them rounded up, taken somewhere & gassed!

Then again other times perhaps see em shot! LoL

The biggest scammer I ever met, was over there living large. 2 places, blah, blah, blah, said he negotiated credit cards down for people. The next year, I heard that they came and got him for credit card fraud. Heard something about 15 years, don't know if facing or sentenced to.

There's a real dirty scruffy farang currently hanging around the intersection of Soi Buakhao & Soi Diana, this dude's a drinker and dressed in rags, once again my mind boggles how this guy can get a visa, how can he travel on planes and pass through immigration? I can't imagine any Thais even allowing him to rent a room, so Lord knows where he sleeps.

Met a Welshman in Bali a few years ago. Told the tale that he was a retired (early only about 45) Investment Banker. Was looking at property and investing, with his own money, in Bali as a means of generating even more income than his already considerable personal wealth. He had a nice young girl who had a 3yold daughter that was staying with them, she used to work at the bar we were drinking at. Her husband never treated her too good and was too lazy to work and support the family so she was after a Knight in shining armor.

Seen the same guy there 2 years later. Turns out he was on a disability pension and after his bankroll from selling what little assetts he had was gone he was scrounging. Owed money to bar owners for taking girls and not paying, was dodging heavys that were looking for him. Needless to say the poor girl had shot through, probably in a worse situation than ever for trusting his lies.

Never trust a traveller. I have enjoyed the company of many a new friend whilst travelling and I would have to say that this bloke was the only one that was not what he appeard to be. It's great to have a few beers and swap stories but don't invest money in schemes and scams. Buy a round and shout a meal by all means but keep your hand on your wallet and your wits about you at all times. It's not only the bar girls you have to be wary of that's for sure...

Cheers...

There's a real dirty scruffy farang currently hanging around the intersection of Soi Buakhao & Soi Diana, this dude's a drinker and dressed in rags, once again my mind boggles how this guy can get a visa, how can he travel on planes and pass through immigration? I can't imagine any Thais even allowing him to rent a room, so Lord knows where he sleeps.

Hi chaps,

Yes my mate spotted him last fri nt wen walkin down soi diana.

He was hanging around outside a 7-11 near LK Metropole, looked dirty, scruffy as hell in shorts n ragged vest looked complete mess.

My mate said hes seem him quite a few times, i said why dont the police or FV Police pick him up and deport him, obviously no money and needs deporting for his own sake.

As said previoulsy dont lend any money to complete strangers you wil never see it again and your being taken for a ride, beter to ask and give them some food if their genuine, which 99% cases are not!!!

Cheers 4 now,

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Hi chaps,

He was hanging around outside a 7-11 near LK Metropole, looked dirty, scruffy as hell in shorts n ragged vest looked complete mess.

My mate said hes seem him quite a few times, i said why dont the police or FV Police pick him up and deport him, obviously no money and needs deporting for his own sake.

As said previoulsy dont lend any money to complete strangers you wil never see it again and your being taken for a ride, beter to ask and give them some food if their genuine, which 99% cases are not!!!

Cheers 4 now,

I think you answered your own question, I've highlighted it!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Two phrases that should put you on your guard immediately "Excuse me, do you speak English?" and "It's hot today isn't it?". Also be careful of anybody who tries to tell you intimate details about themselves as soon as you meet, don't let them suck you into their story.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

He is German, a regular of mine collected up some clothes for him and offered them to him and apparently told the good Samaritan he didn't want clothes he wanted Money, needless to say he got nothing.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Hi chaps,

Cheers 4 now,

The big thing is he's obviously mental. Only a mentally disturbed or damaged person can end up in such a sad state. So that's the real danger of him, is this mentally damaged person allowed on airplanes?

He is German, a regular of mine collected up some clothes for him and offered them to him and apparently told the good Samaritan he didn't want clothes he wanted Money, needless to say he got nothing.

my mate offered to give him 500tbt but he would not take it. put in his pocket anyway.

Archived