IGNORED

Farang beggars and scroungers

pattayaguru

about a year ago I had an English bloke in his mid thirties a few teeth missing the rest decayed approach me with the same story he had his passport and money stolen , he wanted money to get to British Embassy in BKK, his pitch was if I gave him my e-mail he would get in touch and send me the money when he got home.

Anyway after I stopped crying and wiped the tears from my eye, I softly said to him hit the road cunt Bangkoks that way start walking, when you get tired of walking try running.

Sounds like same guy who approached me about 3 years ago, obviuosly he's amking enough to stay here.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm I came across a similar story last week in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I was walking along the riverside one afternoon, and this guy approached me and started asking personal questions like what am I doing in PP, what is my job etc. Anyway he then explains that he's from Laos (I don't know if this was true - he looked kind of asian but seemed to have an American accent, and obviously had excellent english, and that last week his hotel room was broken into and all his stuff was stolen and he was asking if I knew anyone who could help him as he needed to get a bus home to Laos. I said no I didn't know anyone in PP, and made my excuses and left before he could hit me up for some cash!

Also about 3 weeks ago walking along the beach side of the road in Pattaya at around 3am, there was a couple of English guys aged 50ish drinking, and as I walked past they asked if I could lend them money for a beer. I was pretty drunk at this point so I just gave them 20b and walked away.

i know you cant see his face, but any chance this coukd be him? he hit me up in sihanoukvillve, said he was originally from laos but lived in san fransisco, spoke perfect american. he said he was backpacking. the khmer girl who owned the beach shack pulled me aside and told me to be careful of him. she also told me he was from pp.

post-12482-0-75775200-1304671097.jpg

i know you cant see his face, but any chance this coukd be him? he hit me up in sihanoukvillve, said he was originally from laos but lived in san fransisco, spoke perfect american. he said he was backpacking. the khmer girl who owned the beach shack pulled me aside and told me to be careful of him. she also told me he was from pp.

hmm could well be. I imagine Lao-American's in Cambodia are few and far between! In the photo I notice he has a cigarette behind his ear and I'm pretty sure the guy in PP asked me if I could give him a cigarette, so that's another clue there. Did the lady tell you the reason why you should be careful of him? Good on her to warn you.

about 8 months ago i was sitting outside a internet shop pinching there wi-fi with a friend, a farang approached me early 50s said he was from sweden or norway i forget where he told me about a week earlier he had been robbed his room burglared and asked if i knew of any swedish or norwegian bars he said he havent eaten for 2 days and was trying to raise some bus money to go to bangkok to get a new passport from embassy

Over the years i met many "beggars scrounger" with all different stories to extract money for beer short times etc from farang was naturally suspicious didnt believe his story sent him on his way,

A few weeks later walking back to my room i was in soi diana and he approached me again he obviously didnt remember me and gave me the same story

room burglared a week earlier needed money for a bus to go to bangkok to the embassy to get a new passport issued I said you dont remember me

and mentioned that 4/5 weeks earlier he told me the same story he went red in the face and walked off

Now if every farang he met gave him 100 baht with his fake sob story hes on to a good thing,

i met a few with sob stories some genuine some not most of the non genuine cases have pissed there money away or shagged there money away on girls

So any you guys met farang scroungers with sob stories hoping to extract cash from you with the intending use for beer short times etc ?

effing hell - i bumped in to him about 2 weeks ago in Wad Chai, gave EXACTLY the same story, I nearly gave him some money an all - but i looked at his shoulders and they were deep brown, he'd been here for ages so i just kept nodding and sighing until he wenty on his way - NEVER GIVE ANY C**T ANY MONEY IN PATTAYA - LOOK AFTER YOURSELF.

Obviously, some of these people are scammers. What confuses me are the real homeless falang in LOS. I saw such a person recently in Bangkok. The man was extremely filthy, had long hair, a beard, and wearing only one flip flop. Also, he was picking through garbage near Nana Plaza. Not once did he ask me for money. What perplexes me is how a person who was able to pay for a flight to travel possibly half way around the world end up in such a low predicament. I understand LOS attracts free spirits/hippy-types and people who love to party, but if I saw my bank account dwindle down to my last $2,000 USD/60,000 baht, I'd say to myself, "I better get my ass back home before I get stuck here."

I've seen a couple, one in CM ant the other a rather infamous french woman who ran this scam in BKK for quite a while - there are a few ppl here who have probably met her.

I have - yeah, know which one you mean.

Ditto with some farang beggar who was a brit, same claims - burglarized room, no money, needs new passport. Odd, though, when I offered to drive to the UK embassy with him, and help him get a passport, he got really evasive :)

"s'okay mate, I don't want to bother you, I just need a few quid to get me some food"

I offered to buy him a meal right there (we were at a bar in Nana).

He just looked at me, mumbled "fuck off" and walked off.

Sadly, 30 minutes later, he put the same moves on my british buddy while I was taking a pee in the bathroom. He saw me coming back to the table and scampered off.

I lectured my brit friend, but he insisted that he had to help out this guy "because he's a mate".

What a fucking idiot! Not only that, he gave him 2,000 Baht!!!

So, yeah, this kind of scam is lucrative if you score on the simple-minded.

It is all a game of numbers, they do it all day so they do get people falling for it. had it happen to me outside royal Garden Plaza one day when I was with my family and she was in a shop while I waited outside. He would not take no for an answer in the end I had to tell him where to go...........not very politely.

Obviously, some of these people are scammers. What confuses me are the real homeless falang in LOS. I saw such a person recently in Bangkok. The man was extremely filthy, had long hair, a beard, and wearing only one flip flop. Also, he was picking through garbage near Nana Plaza. Not once did he ask me for money. What perplexes me is how a person who was able to pay for a flight to travel possibly half way around the world end up in such a low predicament. I understand LOS attracts free spirits/hippy-types and people who love to party, but if I saw my bank account dwindle down to my last $2,000 USD/60,000 baht, I'd say to myself, "I better get my ass back home before I get stuck here."

Reminds me of this guy I saw a couple years ago at Lamai, Koh Samui. He was a farang, probably about 40, lying passed out on the pavement outside a shop, he was dressed in filthy shorts and a filty singlet, no footwear, hadn't shaved for days, looked absolutely filthy, so he probably hadn't bathed for days. Next to him on the step was a half-empty bottle of Lao Khao, so he was obviously a hopeless alki. There was an Indian tailor standing nearby and he told me this drunk farang stays nearby and often passes out drunk at the side of the road and outside the shops.

I was just amazed that a man who gets in this state can manage to pay for airline tickets and get a visa and deal with officials. I suppose he takes these huge binges and then sobers up when it's time to travel. He have to because there was no way he could get anything together the day I saw him.

some people don't have anywhere to go home to - that's why we are here, you see....

This is one of these guys, uwe, a german guy, many years in thailand. Every day he sit in front of the 7eleven in Thong Sala (Koh Phangan) and drink Siam Sato. In the afternoon when he is drunk, you can see this picture down here. For peeing he just go 2m where you see the black plate. He try to talk with people who drink coffee or something and after a few minutes he start every time with the same story "last time i drink with some thais and they put something in my bottle, then i sleep and they stole my money and my credit card....". He told me this story 2 times in 4 days....

german-beggar-uwe-phangan.jpg.jpg

This is one of these guys, uwe, a german guy, many years in thailand. ....

The woman in the picture above isn't easily disturbed. She sits calmly beside an unconscious homeless guy. Looks like she is writing a postcard. I don't think I'd want to do that,

My dad used to say that if you're approached by anyone with a hard-luck story and feel like doing a good deed, offer to buy him food at whatever place is cheapest. Noodles from a street stall, for example. Anyone who is really hungry won't refuse, but a scammer will.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

It kinda looks like that kid has just laid him out!

Also he looks well fed and watered and camped in that favoured beggers location ...next to an ATM?

Obviously, some of these people are scammers. What confuses me are the real homeless falang in LOS. I saw such a person recently in Bangkok. The man was extremely filthy, had long hair, a beard, and wearing only one flip flop. Also, he was picking through garbage near Nana Plaza. Not once did he ask me for money.

I didn't ask for money because I didn't need any, I'd just had a rough night and lost my flip flop in the trash! :P

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

some people don't have anywhere to go home to - that's why we are here, you see....

You are right, maybe some people just don't have anywhere else to go. They may have burned bridges back home, or never really had any family or friends so they try to star anew in thailand.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The swedish guy approached me acouple of trips back, maybe cos I look a soft touch lol, or my blond hair made him suspect I was a countryman. I'm always wary of being approached by a farang, unless it's a simple "alright mate?" in a bar with a fellow drinker.

there was also a young looking guy with dirty long blond hair who used to walk down Soi 10 and around the Subway shop sweeping up, replacing stones and generally wandering about aimlessly. I felt kinda sorry for him cos he didn't bother anyone, didn't speak or even make eye contact. Maybe he was lost in some kind of emotional bewilderness, another victim of the ruthless emotional attrition pattaya can inflict on some men.

I think perhaps our humility stretches further toward BG's than it does in our fellow countrymen. Understandably so. If a guy has drunk himself into the gutter due to his own doing, there is little or no sympathy, less so when he tries to deliberately scam people for selfish reasons.

Incidentally I was also apporached by a bald american guy in his mid 20's once while drinking in Soi 10, he was living in pattaya on income from his several businesses and had his own condo, but ironically not enough to buy a Tiger draft......the yarn then changed from that to "helping out a fellow soldier down on his luck"....

thats the thing about pattaya, it's great fun, but fall foul of it, or let it rule you, then it will break a man like a twig.

Cheers

butch

https://thailand-247.com/

r/pattaya Reddit moderators are all cowards.

sadly I now just walk by these requests, there was a time my hand would have gone in the pocket but there are too many about now with outstretched hands

I saw such a person recently in Bangkok. The man was extremely filthy, had long hair, a beard, and wearing only one flip flop. Also, he was picking through garbage near Nana Plaza. Not once did he ask me for money.

Seen him many times around there this year: two sightings last week outside the 711 in Soi 8 (just opposite the pub), rummaging through the bin outside.

about 8 months ago i was sitting outside a internet shop pinching there wi-fi with a friend, a farang approached me early 50s said he was from sweden or norway i forget where he told me about a week earlier he had been robbed his room burglared and asked if i knew of any swedish or norwegian bars he said he havent eaten for 2 days and was trying to raise some bus money to go to bangkok to get a new passport from embassy

Over the years i met many "beggars scrounger" with all different stories to extract money for beer short times etc from farang was naturally suspicious didnt believe his story sent him on his way,

A few weeks later walking back to my room i was in soi diana and he approached me again he obviously didnt remember me and gave me the same story

room burglared a week earlier needed money for a bus to go to bangkok to the embassy to get a new passport issued I said you dont remember me

and mentioned that 4/5 weeks earlier he told me the same story he went red in the face and walked off

Now if every farang he met gave him 100 baht with his fake sob story hes on to a good thing,

i met a few with sob stories some genuine some not most of the non genuine cases have pissed there money away or shagged there money away on girls

So any you guys met farang scroungers with sob stories hoping to extract cash from you with the intending use for beer short times etc ?

I met this Swede one night about 18 month ago in Soi Diana at the Orn Pat Bar opposite LK Metro. He was about 40, looked trustworthy, presentable, clean, blond hair in a pony tail, about 5 ft 10 ins and I think he wore glasses. He told my Danish pal and I a similar sob story and I, like a fool lent him 1000 baht because I was slightly drunk and in a happy mood. I never saw him again but have kept an eye out for him ever since.

He asked about Swedish and Norwegian bars also. Did your ponce fit the description of my one?

There is a tall English guy who is always drunk bumped into him 4 or 5 times although he only asked for money once, while me and BM ruffles were having breakfast,The owner of the golf shop throw him out,

Started screaming about someone putting a gun to his head and how his Thai wife would not let him see his kids after all the money he have her

yeah maybe with another 60 kg that could be him! fook maybe he did kennedy too! :Circle_Sharks:

maybe good idea to have a farang wall of shame photo gallery of beggars and scammers

Well you have hit a nerve with me with that, scroungers you say, Ive been here nearly 6 years now and couldnt count the amount of times Ive been asked for cigs, ok its only a cigarette but to me its more than that, I used to smoke bensons when you could get them, at the time they were 85 bt a pack, cheap compared with uk, Im sitting in a bar a guy comes over from the next table picks up my bensons and say do you mind if I take one, I said they sell them behind the bar here, I only want one he says, he was smoking wonder 20bt a pack, I said well if you buy a pack you can have one when you feel like it, well you wouldnt beleive the shit I got off him, starts banging on about this isn't uk and how cheap they are here, so I said well if they are that cheap fucking buy some, anyhow after starting to turn a little violent and threatening me,I put down my drink and said ok lets go, you obviously get upset when you are scrounging and people say no to you, Im not a scrapper but he just went a bit too far, anyhow he backed down in the end, But really why when you say no to a scrounger why do they get upset. Its happened to me loads of times people get angry when you say no, borrowers as well I will never lend money to someone here ever, its amazing how quickly it becomes thier money and what a problem you have getting it back. There is one guy I would really love to mention, but no names eh? well he's the biggest scrounger Ive ever come across, must have asked me 50 times one day, to buy him a drink, in the end I did bout him two rounds, best money I ever spent because now he ignores me.

No money no honey, Bollocks I say no honey no money

best money I ever spent because now he ignores me.

Lending money is a great way to get rid of people you don't like.

"Here's 5 bucks. Pay me back next time you see me." Ha Ha. Works every time.

Archived