IGNORED

I Phone 4 need unlock

gismosgolf

I brought my I-phone 4 from the states. First of all can I get my i-phone unlocked and use it in Thailand. Second, any idea what the un-lock and new sim card will cost. 3. Which carrier should i use and is there a difference between using your phone and using data? (Sorry if this is not written well.) And lastly, what happens when I go back to the states. Do I simply put back in the old sim card and it works. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

`new sim..around 2 or 300 baht

try tukcon on pattaya tai to get it unlocked

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

There is no software unlock yet for the most recent software versions. But usbfever.com - a Hongkong based shop sells an iPhone 4 unlock SIM which comes with a new SIM try to fit the unlock SIM chip piggy backed with the SIM of your choice. It costs USD 30. They also offer Dual SIM solutions however some of those only work with unlocked phones.

I have ordered the unlock SIM and am expecting delivery anytime next week. Since that shop is HK based you got a good chance to be able to buy it in Thailand as well.

Local SIM depends what you want to use it for AIS have good Edge coverage for Internet service. TRUE is already working on 3G service. Make sure to ask and get an Internet promotion to save cost. They offer 30 hours for thb 99 or one month unlimited around thb 650. Promotions change all the time ...

My carrier unlocked mine for free.... Call your carrier, you never know.

My carrier unlocked mine for free.... Call your carrier, you never know.

were you still in contract? Also, what network?

Edited by Snoogins

were you still in contract? Also, what network?

Yes

O2-UK

I've read that all authentically purchased in the USA Iphone 4's are tied to carriers who will not unlock the phones. Apparently this is also the case if you purchase the Iphone 4 directly from Apple in the US at full price, it will still be locked to one carrier. I think that your best hope is the one detailed in post 4.

You might be able to unlock an Iphone running with some versions of the operating software but this would involve you having to jailbreak the Iphone and you'd lose the unlock if you upgraded the Iphone's software.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I've read that all authentically purchased in the USA Iphone 4's are tied to carriers who will not unlock the phones. Apparently this is also the case if you purchase the Iphone 4 directly from Apple in the US at full price, it will still be locked to one carrier. I think that your best hope is the one detailed in post 4.

You might be able to unlock an Iphone running with some versions of the operating software but this would involve you having to jailbreak the Iphone and you'd lose the unlock if you upgraded the Iphone's software.

I agree. I have ATT and they will not unlock it. The guys in the Apple store told me that if you do get it jailboke, do not upgrade the software and the jailbreak programs are always behind the most current version of the software. They also said you need to be careful that they do not put a bunch of unwanted program on your phone.

I agree. I have ATT and they will not unlock it. The guys in the Apple store told me that if you do get it jailboke, do not upgrade the software and the jailbreak programs are always behind the most current version of the software. They also said you need to be careful that they do not put a bunch of unwanted program on your phone.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've found that jail breaking isn't that difficult and I've never run into any problems from doing it. Of course it does nullify your warranty if they find out. Unlocking is more difficult and just because an Iphone is jailbroken it does not necessarily mean it can also be unlocked. This website can be relied upon for the latest information.

Thanks for the replies. Will try Tuk Com and see what happens. For now just using the old Nokia.

First of all can I get my i-phone unlocked and use it in Thailand.

No. While there is a jailbreak available, there is currently no carrier-unlock, if your iPhone came from the states.

Your best bet is to go to MBK (Bangkok) or the equivalent Pattaya phone mall - sell them your AT&T iPhone, and use the proceeds to purchase a legit unlocked iPhone, either from TRUE or a dealer who carries legit unlocked iPhones (regular price, about 24,000 to 27,500 Baht.)

why not just jailbreak it for the time you are in thailand And on the plus side you would get loads of free apps maps etc if it sets back once you are back in the states no problem

they will do in in tukcom for you, i think it's 800 baht including sim. then if you want it removed just restore it on itunes when you get back. i jailbroke mine but could'nt get the unlock to work. so i just emailed vodafone and they unlocked it for me :)

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Just got my unlock SIM chip card and tray ... It works ... very easy to apply ... See my earlier post ... Unlock SIM iPhone 4 from usbfever.com ;-) I love it iPhone 4 is so much better than my old iPhone 3G

my friend got his US bought iPhone unlocked for 700 baht - and the minutes were additional. we got it done at fashion island - it may be cheaper at MBK. i bought 300 minutes - almost lasted my entire trip -

• 1 month later...

Apple now sells an unlocked iPhone 4 (full retail price $650 +tax). I decided to buy it because I'll be traveling all round SE Asia with it and it can (for my needs) replace having to carry a laptop for most things.

If you are planning to Jailbreak and then Unlock (these are different things) I would suggest you know what you are doing because some software configurations require a tethered reboot where you have to be plugged into a computer with the base software on it. The tethered reboot is not required with the latest jailbreak, but my point is these things change with every Apple (and hacker) update and if you are relying on your phone you could have a problem. I speak from experience.

Apple now sells an unlocked iPhone 4 (full retail price $650 +tax). I decided to buy it because I'll be traveling all round SE Asia with it and it can (for my needs) replace having to carry a laptop for most things.

If you are planning to Jailbreak and then Unlock (these are different things) I would suggest you know what you are doing because some software configurations require a tethered reboot where you have to be plugged into a computer with the base software on it. The tethered reboot is not required with the latest jailbreak, but my point is these things change with every Apple (and hacker) update and if you are relying on your phone you could have a problem. I speak from experience.

It's great that they've finally changed that crazy policy. In the UK many providers will unlock their contract Iphone 4's for a small fee or even for free, that the US took so long to loosen up on this policy surprised me.

It's great that they've finally changed that crazy policy. In the UK many providers will unlock their contract Iphone 4's for a small fee or even for free, that the US took so long to loosen up on this policy surprised me.

It is unfortunately common here in the States. We are really abused by our corporations and the telecom industry is one of the worst, usually when we get a consumer feature that does not directly benefit the carrier it took an act of Congress to get it. (That's not a joke it is literally true.) For years I've seen friends come here from France and the UK and their phones worked. We could never go out of the country with ours. And now, the next iPhone5 might have a NFC chip so we can pay for things with out phones like the Japanese and Koreans have been doing for 15 years...

The US is a weird place, in some ways we are really behind even though a lot of this stuff was invented here.

• 1 month later...

uk suppliers do it for free or next to nothing whilst still in contract mine was only days old on contrct when i got mine done