Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Verizon Blackberry Bold in Thailand

altec123

I am thinking about buying a Blackberry Bold here in the US on one of Verizon's plans. Will it work (calls and email) in Thailand on my current Thai sim card? I am a iphone user and it is too much trouble to get the phone jailbroken and get a microsim card in Thailand and then restore it when I return to the US. I am looking for an easy phone and email fix. Land in BKK and change to a Thai sim card and put in the US sim card when I get back to the states. I am not buying another iphone to use in Thailand as they are too much money.

i just bought the bold 9650 for that reason and with several calls to tech support the answer i got was it will work with the thai sim once you switch the settings to gsm. my next trip is the 9th of may so i guess i will find out for sure then i'm with alltel still but it is the same phone and tech support.

Is your BB Bold dual mode (CDMA + GSM)? SIMs are for GSM networks which Verizon is not. There is a CDMA carrier in Thailand but most CDMA operators will not add a foreign ESN to their inventory. Let us know how it works out.

OTOH, why not just jailbreak and unlock your iPhone? It is so easy these days.

Edited by Crash

Most recent trip report: Cambodia/Thailand/Myanmar 2012

yes the BB bold 9650 is the world phone and has CDMA and GSM you just have to change the settings in the mobile networks options from what the techs told me .