IGNORED

Need to buy a new camera

Tomj

Hi guys,

I am soon going to Pattaya for my third trip. I would like to share the girls and other experiences with you guys, but I need a new camera. I am not very interested in taking photos, and I will not spend a lot of money on some fancy camera.

On the net I found some cheap cameras:

Samsung ES75

Olympus X-43

Nicon COOLPIX S2550

Will any of these cameras do the job, you think? Thank you for your advise! :Photo1:

I would pay a few extra dollars and get either a Canon G12 or S-95.

I would pay a few extra dollars and get either a Canon G12 or S-95.

Thank you for the response. Prices in Denmark are sometimes crazy: The Samsung ES75 is on sale for 799 DKK (147 US dollars), and the Canon S95 is 2800 DKK (514 US dollars). I think this Canon is too expensive for my taste :Surrender1:

Canon do make good cameras, and if the S95 is too expensive, i would suggest the Ixus 105 - on sale next week in Føtex for only 699,- DKK. A very good camera for that price!

Everyone has the right to my opinion

Canon do make good cameras, and if the S95 is too expensive, i would suggest the Ixus 105 - on sale next week in Føtex for only 699,- DKK. A very good camera for that price!

Thanks a lot, 0069. I will have a look at the cheap Canon :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks a lot, 0069. I will have a look at the cheap Canon :GoldenSmile1:

TomJ - i am sure you will not be dissapointed with the cheap Canon, actually i do beleive you will be very happy with that one. I used to work in CPH in what was called Merlin, later on Expert and i have sold a lot of cameras (and tried a lot different cameras as well). My advice is that you stick to Canon, Olympus, Lumix (Panasonic), Sony or Nikon if we are talking compact cameras - have seen many customers dissapointed with Samsung as their lenses are not as good as the others, and their auto white balance sometimes turns out to be more or less pink. Personally i am a "Canon fan" as IMO it is value for money - really good cameras, nice design and reasonable priced. As you are not too much into taking pictures i will not write anything about the DSLR cameras, but for sure for your purpose the Ixus will do the job - and we will all be able to enjoy your "work" in the hopefully upcoming TR.

Cheers - and happy easter

Everyone has the right to my opinion

Canon compacts take some great 'out of the camera' pictures regardless of price. As the OP states that he's not really into taking photos, something along the lines of the Ixus 115 HS which has a 4x zoom, enhanced low light capability and shoots full HD video should fit the bill nicely. It's currently £135 in the UK on Amazon - I've no idea if Denmark has an Amazon site ?

Personally I'd avoid the Sony compacts. I got a Panasonic LX5. it's the Dog's, takes ace pics and quality wise as good as anything I've seen in the price range it did cost me £350 though, but that was a ehile back now so don't know how much now? When I bought it they were as rare as dinosour dicks.

Thanks again for your advise. I have just purchased the Canon IXUS 105 today, and it is

very easy to work with. I am also surprised by its small size. I feel certain that this is just what I need to share my Pattaya moments with you.

Today I also changed a pile of cash, booked the taxi from BKK to Patts and started to brush up a couple of my (few!) Thai phrases. So what the f*ck am I waiting for? One more week to go before wheeling up...

IMG_0003.JPG

• 1 month later...

The Samsung EX1 is dirt cheap right now, has a bright 1.8 lens which folds out.

But id recomend spending a bit more and getting a Sony NEX-3. You can pick them up quite cheap now as the NEX C3 is due to be announced soon. It's probably the best compact system cam down from a DSLR. ISO 12800!!!! Wowzar

The new Sony TX10 (water proof) or TX100. Both similar prices. Perfect for travel.