Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Changing From Tourist To Retirement

pubstud

I'll be returning to LOS at the end of this month, in the past I always had Non-Imm O Multi Entry visas issued at the Thai Consulate in Perth Australia, but I've just discovered that Consulate has closed so I had to apply through the Thai Embassy in Canberra and they'll only issue me with a tourist visa.

Anyway, I'm 60, have 1 mill THB in a fixed deposit Thai account (4 months now) plus I have an Australian pension and income from renting my home in Australia, so I guess no troubles in getting a retirement visa.

Will it be easy/difficult to change my tourist visa to a non-imm retirement visa in Pattaya or Jomtien?

As I have over the required amount of money in the bank (over the 800,000THB) will I still need to show proof of income and have these docs confirmed by my embassy (UK)? Or is the 1 mill THB in the bank sufficient? I'd like to streamline the process as much as possible and have the least to do with the UK Embassy if possible. Also is it better to pay a Thai agent to do all the paperwork/legwork for me, or is it easy to do myself?

Any other tips and info will be much appreciated...

Edited by pubstud

Yes many companies do this try Thai Visa Express or another company who deal with these.

Anyway, I'm 60, have 1 mill THB in a fixed deposit Thai account (4 months now) plus I have an Australian pension and income from renting my home in Australia, so I guess no troubles in getting a retirement visa.

Will it be easy/difficult to change my tourist visa to a non-imm retirement visa in Pattaya or Jomtien?

As I have over the required amount of money in the bank (over the 800,000THB) will I still need to show proof of income and have these docs confirmed by my embassy (UK)? Or is the 1 mill THB in the bank sufficient? I'd like to streamline the process as much as possible and have the least to do with the UK Embassy if possible. Also is it better to pay a Thai agent to do all the paperwork/legwork for me, or is it easy to do myself?

Firstly, 1 Mn in the bank for 4 months is good to go, no need to even discuss your pension or get it verified.

Secondly, it should be straightforward to do yourself down at Jomtien given your circumstances but go asap.

You should be able to get a 90 day O visa which runs concurrent to your TV, so you don't lose anything by going early and if you run it closer than 2/3 weeks they may refuse.

Then, any time during that 90 days, you apply for the 12 month Retirement Extension - again no pension details required, just the bank letter and copy, copy, copy.

They seem a little flexible on this and some have gone straight from TV to Retirement Extension.

My own circumstances were odd as I had only 10 days on my TV Extension and my money had only been seeded for 7 days.

I still could have got it done myself at Jomtien (big tea money) but Thaivisa Express did it for me.

I was happy enough because it saved me going out of the country to get another TV, but it was a tad expensive that way.

It was my own fault and you seem much better placed to DIY so up2u.

You might find something of interest HERE

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Thanks Edge, I feel better now, sounds like I'll work this out OK. You mention tea-money at Jomtien, what's the story with this, will they ask me for some or am I expected to offer it. And how much are we talking about?? I have no objections at all to hand over some tea money, especially as it speeds things up and gets me good results.

Also, what about the police clearance report, which I believe is a requirement to get the retirement visa, should I get that here in Australia before leaving at the end of this month?

Edited by pubstud

Thanks Edge, I feel better now, sounds like I'll work this out OK. You mention tea-money at Jomtien, what's the story with this, will they ask me for some or am I expected to offer it. And how much are we talking about?? I have no objections at all to hand over some tea money, especially as it speeds things up and gets me good results.

Also, what about the police clearance report, which I believe is a requirement to get the retirement visa, should I get that here in Australia before leaving at the end of this month?

I don't think you have anything to fret about, the tea money in my case was because I was outside the rules for what I was asking for. It cost me 10k all up, for which I ended up with a 17 month Extension (don't ask).

Having said that, another BM Cheang breezed through it in similar circumstances without tea money, albeit in Bangkok - look HERE

In your situation it should be straightforward and no tea money should be required.

It is a standard procedure as described HERE

Re the Police CRC - forget that.

It is a requirement for obtaining a Retirement Visa from outside the Kingdom.

Forget the Medical too.

What you will be applying for inside the Kingdom is not in itself a Visa, but an Extension of Stay (Retirement) i.e. an extension of whatever Visa you come in on.

That Visa should be a Non 'O' not a TV, hence what we're discussing, but Immi' do appear to be flexible sometimes.

You may yet go straight on to an Extension.

If you look at the link I gave you in my previous post you can see what paperwork is required and the costs. If you do get a Non 'O' it's an extra 1900 on top, but you get an extra 90 days for that, as all these run concurrently.

When you get sorted, if you intend to flit in and out, DON"T FORGET YOUR RE-ENTRY PERMIT.

I did and that's how I came to know about this topic.

Good luck, but you shouldn't need it if you do your homework.

If you have the required THB 800,000 in the bank, this will do.

The bank will charge you THB 200 for the letter and Immigration THB 1,900 for the extension.

In Jomtien I never pay tea money.

Perhaps it is necessary when you need an “extra”, as Edge told.

And before you leave Thailand you have to get a re-entry permit to keep your status: single entry THB 1,000 and multiple entry (valid for one year) THB 1,900.

Edited by Dick Farang

And before you leave Thailand you have to get a re-entry permit to keep your status: single entry THB 1,000 and multiple entry (valid for one year) THB 1,900.

Multi Re-Entry Permit is 3,800 Baht - sure!

When re-reading your original post I am not completely sure about the fixed deposit account.

I have always used a current account (passbook), but at SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) they told me that a fixed deposit account will do too.

Multi Re-Entry Permit is 3,800 Baht - sure!

I stand corrected, THB 3,800 for a multiple re-entry permit.

(I do not travel often enough to need a multiple one.)

If you can do it - Go to Brisbane - they are a great consulate !!!!!

A lot easier to go from the O to a Retirement.

By the way I know guys here pay 17 - 20 K baht and don't have the loot in the bank and get the retirement Visa (TIT)

May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. "Hari Om Tat Sat"

The waters may be getting a little muddied now.

I'm very sure you'll be fine, just read the links I gave you. GoldenSmile1.gif

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm trying to do my homework so this will be as smooth as possible. I hope there are no snags over having that money in a fixed term deposit, I deliberately set that acocunt up with view to future making a retirement visa. I intend for it just to sit in the account to show the Thais.

yes, a re-entry visa will be top of my list, I'll probably get the multi-entry even if I don't use that many.

I'll be seeing Immigration almost immediately after getting back and want to get on to the retirement status ASAP.

Which is the better office - Pattaya or Jomtien. It seems there's a lot of luck factor involved too, like some guys get their visa changed and extended all in one day yet other guys get told to go to BKK. I don't care to go to BKK and would far prefer to finalize everything in Jomtien or Patts. As I said I don't mind at all paying some dosh under the counter if it gets me excellent results.

I'm just hoping no snags as I will be arriving with a tourist visa, if immigration convert that to a non-imm O then fine, but I also suspect I may have to make a trip to lao for a new visa. Again I'd prefer not too.

Don't have time or money to go to QLD, anyway my passport has already been posted to ACT for a toruist visa, I'm just hoping the damn thing arrives back in time or I'll have to cancell my flight (on the 27th) The closing o fthe Perth Consulate has struck me a huge blow, I had no idea, had I known beforehand I would never have made this trip to Perth at all as I already had a non-imm O visa before coming here. Oh well, such is life...

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm trying to do my homework so this will be as smooth as possible. I hope there are no snags over having that money in a fixed term deposit, I deliberately set that acocunt up with view to future making a retirement visa. I intend for it just to sit in the account to show the Thais.

There are some guidelines which suggest that it should be an active account i.e. that you are using it to fund your stay her, but I haven't seen any evidence of that lately and the experience of Cheang (link) suggests that it doesn't matter. They seem to just want you to have the money in Thailand.

I would say worst case scenario is that an Agent would get it through if you couldn't.

Another option would be to open a second Thai account and t/f a months money in there and have it in your pocket to explain that your living expenses will come through that. I think your Investment Account, with Bank Letter, will go through.

Your backstop is that you could get your Pension verified instead (if it's 800k plus) at the UK Consulate right next door to Immi'. It's just a formality - no checking, but the letter costs about 2400 Baht. You don't need the UK Embassy for that.

Which is the better office - Pattaya or Jomtien. It seems there's a lot of luck factor involved too, like some guys get their visa changed and extended all in one day yet other guys get told to go to BKK. I don't care to go to BKK and would far prefer to finalize everything in Jomtien or Patts. As I said I don't mind at all paying some dosh under the counter if it gets me excellent results.

I'm just hoping no snags as I will be arriving with a tourist visa, if immigration convert that to a non-imm O then fine, but I also suspect I may have to make a trip to lao for a new visa. Again I'd prefer not too.

They are one and the same - Soi 5, Jomtien. You might get it the same day or it might be the next - avoid Mondays and Fridays.

You shouldn't need to go to Bangkok for anything.

I would get everything prepared and go there asap. If you get any sort of knock back you still have plenty of time to re-group.

If you go early on in your 60 days you shouldn't need another TV.

yes, a re-entry visa will be top of my list, I'll probably get the multi-entry even if I don't use that many.

I'll be seeing Immigration almost immediately after getting back and want to get on to the retirement status ASAP.

Don't have time or money to go to QLD, anyway my passport has already been posted to ACT for a toruist visa, I'm just hoping the damn thing arrives back in time or I'll have to cancell my flight (on the 27th) The closing o fthe Perth Consulate has struck me a huge blow, I had no idea, had I known beforehand I would never have made this trip to Perth at all as I already had a non-imm O visa before coming here. Oh well, such is life...

There was a post some time ago about the Perth office closing down and that the next most sympathetic consulate was Brisbane, this probably does not help much now but it is another avenue if all else fails.

Here is the link.

My link

Edited by 1rooster

The re-entry permit allows you to leave Thailand and to come back without losing your visa, but it is not a proper visa.

The Immigration Office in Jomtien (Soi 5) is in fact that of the Province of Chonburi.

I add some forms that can be useful.

tm86.doc

tm8.doc

tm47.doc

tm7.doc

Edited by Dick Farang

The re-entry permit allows you to leave Thailand and to come back without losing your visa, but it is not a proper visa.

The Immigration Office in Jomtien (Soi 5) is in fact that of the Province of Chonburi.

I add some forms that can be useful.

A Re-Entry Permit is what it says on the can, so no, not in any way is it a Visa and you can't get one without a Visa - obviously.

Province of Chonburi probably, but they choose to call themselves "Pattaya Immigration Office" (Bureau sometimes) and that's what you should write at the top of the forms - see HERE including map.

There is a better site, but the link I have doesn't work atm.

Downloading and filling in the forms is a good plan (also HERE ) but watch out for double sided forms. If you print and complete them as 2 sheets you'll probably be asked to do it again on one of theirs.

The OP might also want to read this HERE from which I stole this:-

12 month extension to a non-immigrant visa: If you are holding a non-immigrant visa, you have the option of extending this by 12 months based on either retirement (50 years old or over) or support to a Thai citizen, work, education and such. This may only be accomplished at an immigration office inside the Kingdom and certain criteria have to be met. Such extensions consist of a stamp in your passport detailing "issue date" and "permitted to stay until" date.

Note 1: If you are residing in the Kingdom under an extension to a non-immigrant visa and wish to leave the Kingdom at any time, then you will need to obtain a "re-entry permit" to avoid losing the extension and the subsequent need to re-apply (i.e. applying for a new non-immigrant visa and then extension of stay).

Note 2: If you are residing in the Kingdom under an extension to a non-immigrant visa it is a legal requirement that the holder reports current address to an immigration office using form TM.47 (in person or by registered mail) every 90 days. Re-entering the Kingdom is the equivalent of a 90 day report.

Note 3: If you are in possession of a valid tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp and qualify for extension of stay and plan on doing so, you may be permitted to change to a non-immigrant visa at an immigration office inside Thailand. This change of 'status' has certain restrictions depending on your particular circumstances therefore you should check with an immigration officer first.

The information given above is for guideline purposes only. Each individual's circumstances may differ to such an extent that a definitive description of the procedures involved is virtually impossible to present. And, the final decision on visa application/issue or entry into the Kingdom will always be at the discretion of the immigration officer.

A Re-Entry Permit is what it says on the can, so no, not in any way is it a Visa and you can't get one without a Visa - obviously.

Province of Chonburi probably, but they choose to call themselves "Pattaya Immigration Office" (Bureau sometimes) and that's what you should write at the top of the forms - see HERE including map.

There is a better site, but the link I have doesn't work atm.

Downloading and filling in the forms is a good plan (also HERE ) but watch out for double sided forms. If you print and complete them as 2 sheets you'll probably be asked to do it again on one of theirs.

The OP might also want to read this HERE from which I stole this:-

[/color]

I did not know that: “Re-entering the Kingdom is the equivalent of a 90 day report.”

The nice Englishman at Immigration, Mr. Barry, told me that the cycle of 90 days continued normally (what I found a little bit strange) and also the officer did not say anything when I came “early” for my 90 days.

I did not know that: “Re-entering the Kingdom is the equivalent of a 90 day report.”

The nice Englishman at Immigration, Mr. Barry, told me that the cycle of 90 days continued normally (what I found a little bit strange) and also the officer did not say anything when I came “early” for my 90 days.

Barry Kenyon will confirm that the above is correct.

However, if you don't want to get on the wrong side of the lady at the back you will go in on the date she gave you regardless - TiT.

Barry Kenyon will confirm that the above is correct.

However, if you don't want to get on the wrong side of the lady at the back you will go in on the date she gave you regardless - TiT.

TiT, indeed, but no harm done.

Thanks again guys, lots of good info there. I missed that post about the closing of the Perth consulate as I've been absent from this forum (and many others) for many months now. Had I known about the closing then my situation would be much better today.

I actually have another bank account, a Siam Commercial that I've had for many moons, and currently have about 250,000 THB in it. So I'd be showing Immigration 2 accounts in fact. These should convince them that I'm not penniless, then there's my monthly pension, plus monthly income from renting my property in Perth. My pension plus the rent comes to 60,000 THB a month. So if needed I can see Barry next door and get the document from him. I'll be bringing proof of these sources of income back with me.

So I'll be seeing Immigration very early in the piece after arriving, I'd say in the first week.

Yes, I'm well aware of the need for a re-entry visa, plus the 90 day reporting.

Hopefully after this has sorted out I'll never need to apply for a Thai visa ever again, I'll just keep renewing my annual retirement visa. Now Perth has shut that's the end of an era. I've been getting multi-entry non Imm O & B visas there for decades - put the passport in on Tuesday and collect it on the Thursday. Those were the days...

• 3 weeks later...

Your backstop is that you could get your Pension verified instead (if it's 800k plus) at the UK Consulate right next door to Immi'. It's just a formality - no checking, but the letter costs about 2400 Baht. You don't need the UK Embassy for that.

I'm a little bit muddled here. All my capital is tied up in my UK house. I have a pension that meets the requirements and I have a nice brand new O non imm visa picked up in Hull this week.

Next week I travel to Patts, when I will open a bank account. Now do I have to have my pension paid into my new Thai account, or can a verification be done by the UK embassy that I have a pension for that amount sort me. Once I have everything settled and all the necessary retirement stuff sorted, I will probably rent out my house in UK and use that for income until I decide on next move. So I don't want to face the Teachers Pensions bureaucracy shifting payment to Thailand and then back if all goes tits up as I realise living there is very different to holidaying

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

I'm a little bit muddled here. All my capital is tied up in my UK house. I have a pension that meets the requirements and I have a nice brand new O non imm visa picked up in Hull this week.

Next week I travel to Patts, when I will open a bank account. Now do I have to have my pension paid into my new Thai account, or can a verification be done by the UK embassy that I have a pension for that amount sort me. Once I have everything settled and all the necessary retirement stuff sorted, I will probably rent out my house in UK and use that for income until I decide on next move. So I don't want to face the Teachers Pensions bureaucracy shifting payment to Thailand and then back if all goes tits up as I realise living there is very different to holidaying

First off, if you have a new Non Imm - One Year ? (stretchable to 15 months) then you have lots and lots of time.

If your pension is 800 k + then no need for any capital here.

No, you don't have to have your pension paid into your Thai account (I doubt they would do that anyway?).

You do need a letter confirming your pension details, which has to be verified at the Consulate next door (2400 Baht).

Your Thai account is a good idea nonetheless as you can choose when to shift money according to the exchange rate and also avoid the ATM fees.

First off, if you have a new Non Imm - One Year ? (stretchable to 15 months) then you have lots and lots of time.

If your pension is 800 k + then no need for any capital here.

No, you don't have to have your pension paid into your Thai account (I doubt they would do that anyway?).

You do need a letter confirming your pension details, which has to be verified at the Consulate next door (2400 Baht).

Your Thai account is a good idea nonetheless as you can choose when to shift money according to the exchange rate and also avoid the ATM fees.

Thanks Edge. That solves the problem I was puzzling over about when to do what. It appeared initially me that I had to shift over the pension before getting the OK for pensioner status. The Thai bank account was originally planned for dumping cash in on visits to save for longer ones, and to save ATM fees. A few grand (GBP) when I go out next week etc.

Thanks again

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire