IGNORED

a chip shop

i folks i've heard that there is a chip shop in pattaya,which as reasently opened does anyone where its located and what the chips are like,

Edited by storm31

cheers thanks, but where's soi lengkee as i've not heard of it before

Click on the link. There's a map on the site

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

i folks i've heard that there is a chip shop in pattaya,which as reasently opened does anyone where its located and what the chips are like,

I ate there yesterday and it was EXCELLENT !!

I will be back REAL soon.

I had the Shark – (110baht). There are other fish available at different prices. (For those of you no Ozzies – Shark is the staple of the Ozy Fish and Chip industry – great flavor – just like fish – juicy and firm flakes).

The Chips are a separate line item – I had a medium size for 50 baht which was just right for a larger chap like me.

The oil used for cooking was lite and the cooking of the fish and the chips was PERFECT – no residual oil and ot over or under done. Some one there knows how to deep fry.

The Chips were CHIPS not French fries. A top potato for deep frying was used. Just right.

Surprisingly the coffee came in a big mug and was top shelf. I didn’t see the machine but it must be an espresso machine or similar – great crema on top.

While didn’t need it – I though tI should have desert for reference purposes.

I had the Rhubarb crumble with Custard. The fresh cooked hot custard was outstanding. The crumble was good but seemed to have coconut in the pastry – I don’t like coconut in cooking – so while it was good – it wasn’t perfect to MY taste. Others may find the coconut a attraction.

Service was prompt courteous, and friendly with a smile.

I would rate this place above Simons at Jomtien for price and taste and certainly as a total value for money deal it was terrific.

Our American friends may not be used to the coffee or the chips. The coffee was full of flavor and highly aromatic without the characteristic bitterness that American franchises seem to aim for, and if you like “French fries” then you will have a whole new experience with proper British chips. Not having a go at our American members – just that you get used to what your raised on so be prepared for a different experience.

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

i couldn't agree with you more.

i don't think that one place/country has better or worse food than another. it is what you are used to.

i have this discussion all the time back home. my friends think that montreal has better food than say toronto but the fact is that people from toronto are used to their food and probably like it better than our style.

I ate there yesterday and it was EXCELLENT !!

I will be back REAL soon.

I had the Shark – (110baht). There are other fish available at different prices. (For those of you no Ozzies – Shark is the staple of the Ozy Fish and Chip industry – great flavor – just like fish – juicy and firm flakes).

The Chips are a separate line item – I had a medium size for 50 baht which was just right for a larger chap like me.

The oil used for cooking was lite and the cooking of the fish and the chips was PERFECT – no residual oil and ot over or under done. Some one there knows how to deep fry.

The Chips were CHIPS not French fries. A top potato for deep frying was used. Just right.

Surprisingly the coffee came in a big mug and was top shelf. I didn’t see the machine but it must be an espresso machine or similar – great crema on top.

While didn’t need it – I though tI should have desert for reference purposes.

I had the Rhubarb crumble with Custard. The fresh cooked hot custard was outstanding. The crumble was good but seemed to have coconut in the pastry – I don’t like coconut in cooking – so while it was good – it wasn’t perfect to MY taste. Others may find the coconut a attraction.

Service was prompt courteous, and friendly with a smile.

I would rate this place above Simons at Jomtien for price and taste and certainly as a total value for money deal it was terrific.

Our American friends may not be used to the coffee or the chips. The coffee was full of flavor and highly aromatic without the characteristic bitterness that American franchises seem to aim for, and if you like “French fries” then you will have a whole new experience with proper British chips. Not having a go at our American members – just that you get used to what your raised on so be prepared for a different experience.

Happy you enjoyed the food, I will pass along your comments to the staff at the Jolly Friar. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Definitely the best I've seen in Pattaya, solid portions & reasonably-priced !

I've been a bit critical of the Jolly Friar on this forum in the past and I wish I didn't ever find anything to complain about because the food is pretty good and the prices are very reasonable. Last month I went there for lunch, it was a raining day, there was slush in soi lenkei and after I entered JF and sat down one of the Thai girls who works there started complaining very louded because I'd walked in a little bit of soi slush on the floor. I was very close to getting up and storming out but talked myself into cooling down.

I went again a couple of weeks ago and had fish and salad (I don't order the chips anymore - they never seem to be cooked enough - always limp and soggy) Well half way through this lunch I began to feel a stinging sensation on both my top and bottom lips. By the time I'd finished lunch and left the restaurant both lips had swollen up into hard thick welts. Thais tell me this is due to ants, or ants piss, being in the food. It wasn't until late that night before the swellings on my lips subsided.