IGNORED

Electricians work

benny31

The last time I saw them working on the overhead wiring the bamboo ladder was perched on top of the van they turned up in, you have to love the way they work.

Risking your life for 200 baht a day :wacko:

:Think1:

Mental

Seems the bar girls don't have it so bad.

I used run Cable in the U.S. until I fell off a Telephone pole and broke a few bones. They have my complete respect!

The ESB would be very proud!!

So you never wanted a regular type life?

What the fuck is that...? Barbeques and ballgames?

I am an electrician in Australia but there is no way I would be an electrician in Thailand.

Makes u realise how lucky u are to not to have been brought up in a 3rd world environment.

• 3 weeks later...

This was one of the first things I noticed was the powerlines, god forbid one of the polls fell down on WS, the main drag would be shut down for days while they sort through millions of wires.

Here is what happens from time to time:

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/25172/telephone-technician-badly-burnt-as-he-touches-power-cables-in-laem-chabang/

A sub-contractor working for a telecommunications company sustained serious burns as he installed new telephone cables in Laem Chabang on Saturday Afternoon. Rescue Workers received an urgent call to the Sukhumvit Road, just outside of Pattaya to attend to Khun Jord, who works for the NC Service Company who were sub-contracted by AIS to install new cables in the area. The technicians were not happy the cables were to be installed only inches from live power cables and began to work. Khun Jord came into contact with the power cables and was thrown to the ground. He sustained full thickness burns to his face and upper and lower body and was clearly in excruciating pain as rescue workers struggled to get him to a waiting ambulance. He was rushed to Hospital and is currently in a critical condition. Fellow workers were later interviewed by Police and an enquiry by AIS is underway.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Wait, aren't such things as electrical codes and worker safety rules all part of the regulatory 'Nanny State' I hear so many moaning about?

Edited by furryman

Telephone technician badly burnt as he touches power cables in Laem Chabang

A sub-contractor working for a telecommunications company sustained serious burns as he installed new telephone cables in Laem Chabang on Saturday Afternoon. Rescue Workers received an urgent call to the Sukhumvit Road, just outside of Pattaya to attend to Khun Jord, who works for the NC Service Company who were sub-contracted by AIS to install new cables in the area. The technicians were not happy the cables were to be installed only inches from live power cables and began to work. Khun Jord came into contact with the power cables and was thrown to the ground. He sustained full thickness burns to his face and upper and lower body and was clearly in excruciating pain as rescue workers struggled to get him to a waiting ambulance. He was rushed to Hospital and is currently in a critical condition. Fellow workers were later interviewed by Police and an enquiry by AIS is underway.

PattayaOne Source

Most of the "cable" we see hanging off the poles seem to be 3 pair telephone cable. It surprises me that that it is so haphazard and I would hate to try and work with it but it is quite safe. Most networks would use bigger cables between junction boxes and only use the smaller cables to connect individual premises. This looks like it has "grown" without much planning. I predict that high speed internet and advanced Telecommunications will see this upgraded over the next 10 years.

It does worry me that power cables seem very close to the Telephone and data cables and they will have more accidents.

I was amused by the Power cables going through the dining area of the restaurant in soi Buakhao.. I doubt that would pass inspection in too many places in the world

restaurant power.jpg

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

This looks like it has "grown" without much planning.

Planning .... Thailand ..... 55555555555555 .

I used run Cable in the U.S. until I fell off a Telephone pole and broke a few bones. They have my complete respect!

Yeah, the yankee system: ugly, dirty wires on poles. In Europe they are hidden under the pavement.

Here is what happens from time to time:

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/25172/telephone-technician-badly-burnt-as-he-touches-power-cables-in-laem-chabang/

Indeed, sub-contractors.

Most of the "cable" we see hanging off the poles seem to be 3 pair telephone cable. It surprises me that that it is so haphazard and I would hate to try and work with it but it is quite safe. Most networks would use bigger cables between junction boxes and only use the smaller cables to connect individual premises. This looks like it has "grown" without much planning. I predict that high speed internet and advanced Telecommunications will see this upgraded over the next 10 years.

It does worry me that power cables seem very close to the Telephone and data cables and they will have more accidents.

I was amused by the Power cables going through the dining area of the restaurant in soi Buakhao.. I doubt that would pass inspection in too many places in the world

It looks like a shelter outside the proper building.

Looks like maintence is patching and patching and more patching :GoldenSmile1:

the ammount of cables in op's message is astonishing, i feel sorry for whoever will have to consildate those patches nor figure out what goes where

Looks like maintence is patching and patching and more patching :GoldenSmile1:

the ammount of cables in op's message is astonishing, i feel sorry for whoever will have to consildate those patches nor figure out what goes where

Believe it or not you get similar amounts of cable in many old buildings round the world and when the record books go missing you are in the same boat as the Thai Telephone technician but you are working in a narrow shaft with Rat Shit and Dust every where. The thai guys are standing 4 meters up in the air and they are close to power-lines but they have room to move. We often work in the dark and the ceiling spaces have little or no air movement and can get bloody hot.

The secret is to find one end and send a "tone" down the line. Then they go to the tangle and run a probe over the mess until they get a beep and they have found the right cable. It is not as difficult as it looks but it does look very messy.

One of the biggest problems with the tangle is that it can effect the performance of the data on the line. This means you can get slow internet or in some cases corrupt data. Of course knowing what the problem is doesn't get it fixed.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

I stayed in a hotel in Phuket once and outside my balcony there was a power line... I swear I could have reached it... is this safe? What about being on the balcony in the rain?

Motivational Poster - Chaos 001(80).jpg

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

I stayed in a hotel in Phuket once and outside my balcony there was a power line... I swear I could have reached it... is this safe? What about being on the balcony in the rain?

As I said it is probably a telephone or data cable but lets pretend it is power and don't touch. I would always check for a current before touching any cable. Most of the black cable will be gel filled so the rain shouldn't effect them...

If you walk down second road towards big C from Central Road on the left hand side there are masses of cables hanging down to ground level...you need to move them out of the way or walk on the road...even though I am 90% sure they are communication cables I think walking on the road is a safer option...you can at least see the cars or bikes coming :Attitude:

Voltaire

Believe it or not you get similar amounts of cable in many old buildings round the world and when the record books go missing you are in the same boat as the Thai Telephone technician but you are working in a narrow shaft with Rat Shit and Dust every where. The thai guys are standing 4 meters up in the air and they are close to power-lines but they have room to move. We often work in the dark and the ceiling spaces have little or no air movement and can get bloody hot.

It's the same Pipe fitting (only in our trade it has to be very neat & not resemble a plate of spaghetti) we like to get done before the awkward sparky's first fixed Not much fun drilling holes if there's wires liad around & lenghts of steel are hard to shift about.

BTW our trade is very H & S consious & I'm all for it. But we all see some East Europeans come over & do the most stupid of things-but nothing gets said as that would be Racist!