IGNORED

Using Anki to learn Thai

2plus2

A big fan of Anki, so I wanted to make a topic where all Anki users could share their tips and questions.

-----

I'm currently looking into a way to group all info relevant to each translation: thai script, phonetic translation, english meaning, and thai sound clip; and then make multiple flash cards based on each group. Will post here once I've figured it out unless someone else does first.

Also want to find a way to properly link cards for words that have multiple meanings.

• 1 month later...

A big fan of Anki, so I wanted to make a topic where all Anki users could share their tips and questions.

-----

I'm currently looking into a way to group all info relevant to each translation: thai script, phonetic translation, english meaning, and thai sound clip; and then make multiple flash cards based on each group. Will post here once I've figured it out unless someone else does first.

Also want to find a way to properly link cards for words that have multiple meanings.

Any progress?

I am very much a visual learner, so e-flash cards would be most useful to me. Downloaded Anki, but couldn't see a way to get it to do the sorts of things you have listed so gave up

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

2plus2 - can't you just use Tags to group things?.. when you add Front then Back there's a little box underneath for tags, just pop the group name you want in there.

Linking cards, don't know about this. If something has 2 or more meanings i'll put it in brackets. Be quite a good idea though.

--

If you go to file > Download > Shared Deck, you can filter by 'thai', there's lots of good flash cards.

I have a list on there, it's about 1000 entries with audio and pictures, it's called "Thai Language: Beginner - Advanced", it's really just a compilation of random things from basics to conversations I have with thai's over the last 2 years.

I literally don't know where I would be without Anki and I even use it on my ipod touch when i'm out and about.

Edited by herds

2plus2 - can't you just use Tags to group things?.. when you add Front then Back there's a little box underneath for tags, just pop the group name you want in there.

Linking cards, don't know about this. If something has 2 or more meanings i'll put it in brackets. Be quite a good idea though.

--

If you go to file > Download > Shared Deck, you can filter by 'thai', there's lots of good flash cards.

I have a list on there, it's about 1000 entries with audio and pictures, it's called "Thai Language: Beginner - Advanced", it's really just a compilation of random things from basics to conversations I have with thai's over the last 2 years.

I literally don't know where I would be without Anki and I even use it on my ipod touch when i'm out and about.

I downloaded Anki a while back and wasn't overly impressed to begin with. Then having read this thread again yesterday, decided to have a proper look at it. I am now very impressed and am beginning to see its potential and usefulness. So one more convert here

But...what do I know?

- Voltaire

If there is something worth remembering, add it to Anki and where warranted add comments or things to help you jog your memory of where you heard it. Then after a while it's like your own mini-dictionary you can use for reference.

I think the suggested daily amount is 20 cards and that in itself only takes a minute or two, I find that doing a 2 hour block once a week is fine and at the end of that two hours i've learnt a lot but by next time I've kinda forgotten most of it and Anki helps keep the new things i've learnt active.

blimey, i'm mumbling on a bit :D

Have started using it regularly now and am really impressed.

Each lesson's vocab goes straight on there written in Thai with audio clip as my reading is not the best at the moment. The making of the cards is also part of the learning experience. Each day 2 or 3 runs through of each deck, only takes minutes, but am learning the vocab much more quickly.

Great bit of software

But...what do I know?

- Voltaire

--

Thanks, I'll check out your deck when I have a chance. Using tags sounds useful but it's not exactly what I was talking about. For example: if there was an English word that could translate to 2 Thai words, I would like Anki to create 3 cards (E - 2T, 1st T - E, 2nd T - E).

So far I'm doing it the same way as you, with the two Thai words in brackets, but I find it triggers my memory in an unhelpful way. When I see the 2 Thai words listed together it's easy to remember the English, but if I saw either of them on their own I would probably forget.

To everyone else asking about this, no I still haven't figured it out.

• 5 weeks later...

i suggest minimim information per fact

for example...

you: fact1 :

Thai คุณ

English: You (formal)

Sentence, sounds, hints (not necessary here

you: fact2:

thai: มึง

English: you (informal)

rest not necessary again

by this way they have different intervals and they won't be triggered by each other. I think if you chose words that trigger each other, then you somehow cheat yourself...

or other things... พึง and ควร - i dont even know the difference between those words, so i add:

thai พึง

english: should (not ควร) or if this triggers too much, then just (not starting with ค)

this works ok for me

another thing... I am not a huge fan of tags & priorities... if I set tags, then just for specific topics like months, weekdays, time, maths or something, so that I can cram it anytime i want... but lately I never set any single tag