IGNORED

Thai sim cards at Airport

I have a dtac Happy sim I have been using for 5 years - the expiring ones, I am not sure of brand, but when I flew into Chiang Mai last year they were handing them out to everyone that stepped off the plane - on them it said that the sim would expire 6 months after activation.

interesting, thanks.

Theres a 7-11 on the arrivals level, around door 3. It should have 1-2 call SIM cards.

make sure you get a permanent simcard, this will last as long as you continue to put credit on it every few months, even if its just a few hundred baht that you won't ebvn use while you are out of the country.

Recharge can be done over the internet quite easily.

Recharging over the internet..thanks for that tip. Never thought about extending number lfe that way!

"But one of the lessons a woman most rarely learns,is never to talk to an angry or drunken man."...from Adam Bede by George Eliot.

Why would you need to keep the same sim card? They are very cheap so i just get a new one every trip. Any Thai contact numbers are stored in my phone for easy access on my return to LOS

Why would you need to keep the same sim card? They are very cheap so i just get a new one every trip. Any Thai contact numbers are stored in my phone for easy access on my return to LOS

People are able to contact you easier if you have the same number all the time. You can inform them that you are in Thailand and they can contact you on your usual Thai number.

Edited by Airgear

"But one of the lessons a woman most rarely learns,is never to talk to an angry or drunken man."...from Adam Bede by George Eliot.

Is it possible to buy Thai pre-paid sim cards at the Bangkok airport? I prefer to turn off my UK contract phone when I leave home because I get pissed off being stung with roaming charges even for receiving texts (imagine travelling when someone famous died and being inundated with txt jokes like when Michael Jackson died. My phone was buzzing more than it was silent).

Anyway, on my last trip to Pattaya, I was pleased that sim cards were easy and cheap to buy from the 7/11's but they expire after only a month or so, so when I make my next trip in April I will be buying another one. The sooner the better really so wondered if I could buy one at the airport. Has anyone bought from there?

There are some 7/11 at the airport, and everywhere you can by a thai sim card.

Last day before i go back to germany,i load up my card ( feb ) because i wnt hold my old number.

Cost me 1200 Bth,but dont have to send all my friends and girls a new number.

For me it's more comfortable.Up to you.Cheers mate.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

There are some 7/11 at the airport, and everywhere you can by a thai sim card.

Last day before i go back to germany,i load up my card ( feb ) because i wnt hold my old number.

Cost me 1200 Bth,but dont have to send all my friends and girls a new number.

For me it's more comfortable.Up to you.Cheers mate.

PS.i hold my number to the middle of nov.Be back at the 2-11.

There is a string of shops along the highway not long after you leave the airport 7-11, family mart and the like. I have had my driver stop there for a sim card before, not 100% sure but I think you would get a better price there.

I think the price for a sim card will be not so much different anywhere you by it.

Bigpower arready answered your question. I would like to add if you don't want the SIM card to expire, before you leave Bangkok, check with the service provider counter at the airport how much you need to recharge to the SIM so the validity will last for a few more months.

That's what I did, I knew I'll be back in 3 months time, so I ask them and was ask to recharge THB300. I got a SIM from AIS. Its just beside DTAC store. Both the service provider store are very helpful and patient to explain to you everything. I also ask them to activate Blackberry BIS for me. They even help me set up.

If you have some questions about this,you can find many helps at Tuc Com in South Pattaya Road.

A good place for any questions and help for all electronics.

Sounds like a sweet deal...free sim card handed over by a cute TG, more info please :P

It's a promotion event.no bad idea.

People are able to contact you easier if you have the same number all the time. You can inform them that you are in Thailand and they can contact you on your usual Thai number.

They can save your new number when you inform them of your return to LOS unless you want them to know in advance but then you can tell them youll ring them off your new Thai number when you arrive.

Theres a 7-11 on the arrivals level, around door 3. It should have 1-2 call SIM cards.

That's where I usually buy my 1-2-Call SIMs + it's where the taxi drivers hang out, so handy for those who are going to meet their driver anyway. I bought one for 100B at the beginning of March & received 30B credit with it, along with an expiry date of 19th April; I remember as it was New year!

I topped up by 50B at the 711 around the 20th April & my service was extended to 5th June, so 50B will buy you around 6 weeks service.

BTW 1-2-Call SIMs have a 3 step installation guide in English on the back of the packet. :ThankGod1:

sgu_banner.gif

They can save your new number when you inform them of your return to LOS unless you want them to know in advance but then you can tell them youll ring them off your new Thai number when you arrive.

Yes but if they already have your regular number you don't have to waste time and money informing your contacts what your new number is everytime time you make a visit. Your contacts can't get in touch with you until you've been in touch with them - everytime you make a trip. Imagine if everyone had a different phone number every few months! Keeping the same number makes you easier to contact.