IGNORED

Travelling to Pattaya Alone?

Take a break

You'll only be on your own for an hour mate. The first bar you go in you will hook up with a girl, then have her and/or others with you the rest of your holiday. I travelled solo, came off the plane at 9pm Thai time, after a 17 hour journey from UK, got driven to Pattaya for about 11pm.....then went out for a drink (even though I was shattered from the journey) at a bar 100 yards from my hotel and after some food and a drink or 2 met a girl who came back to my hotel LT and stayed for the next 2 days and nights lol. :GoldenSmile1: You'll also get chatting to other tourists if you want to no problem.

When you go out of your hotel, only take enough cash with you for that night, leave cards, passports and cash etc in the hotel safe. Also bring 2 different bank cards and half the money you have available between the cards in case you lose one.Obviously never take both cards out the safe at the same time.

The next time I go I am bringing a larger amount of cash which is best converted in Pattaya (best exchange rate) as bank charges for cash withdrawals are a rip off. Your own bank charges about 3%, so does the Thai bank for converting the currency. It can end up being 6 or 7% all in,, so 5 £200 withdrawals can cost you £70 as I found to my displeasure.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

went backpacking for 4 weeks in southern thailand ending up in pattaya, it's the most easy going place, you'll see a lot of bad behaviour but that's part of the fun, in your face

Back in the early days I went to Ibiza alone by choice every year as it was much easier to do your own thing, but I'm glad I going with a mate to Pattaya. My first time there in Jan for a month and I reckon it's gonna scare the hell out of me to start with!

Dorset is a very quiet place. :Surrender1:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, newbie here, first time in LOS (on my own after getting rid of my mom lol). I love to travel alone, especially when it comes to mongering. But if you want to add some game to that -seduction plays a role in P4P in thailand I think- it might be better to have a wingman.

And the thing is : thai people are seldom found on their own, they always have friends to eat or go shopping/whatever with. So there are many solo travelers (or maybe should I say punters) in LOS but I'm not sure if thai people understand that taste for freedom and independance. For instance, girls are constantly asking me "where are your friends ?". Not that I care about what people think but it's good to understand thai culture a bit.

I'd like to try the WS discos and try to find a FL there eventhough I didn't like BKK nightclub's scene. But I don't know about going there on my own... Maybe not the best mindset for partying ! And at the same time I would never have gone to a bar on my own before but in thailand it's so common. So maybe same same for the nightclubs ?? I think same same but different.

I have always traveled alone and to much more dangerous places than Pattaya.....like the southern Philippines. Occasionally I will meet a friend there, but the freedom of making all your own decisions and itinerary is so much easier. If I crave company, I'll either find a girl as a travel/fuck buddy or go to a local expat pub. I prefer the first......

i alway travel alone, so i can do what i want ,when i want! i tried traveling with my roomate and we alway have trouble doing stuff together. i work on my own clock,like to be early to places and i want to be able to leave when i want. but i never had a problem travling alone!

YosemiteChris: How do you get to live in Yosemite? (read "envy")? Hopefully you aren't doing something like mouse hantavirus eradication (just joking)?

On topic: Traveling with a companion or alone both have advantages but I find traveling alone exposes one to more of the local culture.

One caveat: If you aren't the kind of person who can look after himself and have a Plan B and even Plan C (ie lose wallet, fall ill, what then?) figured out in advance, traveling with a trusted companion is the way to go. Friend's wallet fell out of his pants pocket in a bouncing cab in India. No cell phone, no emergency plan to get funds if something happened...duhh. He'd also contracted MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, potentially life-threatening infection if systemic) staying in inadequate lodging and needed to get home fast. Fortunately a fellow traveler and some kind locals loaned him enough money to get to the airport where his pre-purchased flight home was departing. Don't be like him.

YosemiteChris: How do you get to live in Yosemite? (read "envy")? Hopefully you aren't doing something like mouse hantavirus eradication (just joking)?

On topic: Traveling with a companion or alone both have advantages but I find traveling alone exposes one to more of the local culture.

One caveat: If you aren't the kind of person who can look after himself and have a Plan B and even Plan C (ie lose wallet, fall ill, what then?) figured out in advance, traveling with a trusted companion is the way to go. Friend's wallet fell out of his pants pocket in a bouncing cab in India. No cell phone, no emergency plan to get funds if something happened...duhh. He'd also contracted MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, potentially life-threatening infection if systemic) staying in inadequate lodging and needed to get home fast. Fortunately a fellow traveler and some kind locals loaned him enough money to get to the airport where his pre-purchased flight home was departing. Don't be like him.

no ,i work in one of the restaurant as a waiter, i let my buddy do the mouse clean up,but i think we have that all under control now!

Hey Fellas! Thanks for all the inspiration! I'm planning my virgin trip to Pattaya for the beginning of March. I'll be heading there solo and had a few hesitations, but this thread pretty much killed them. I am not a newbie to foreign travel so I am not worried about keeping my witts. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you fellow filthy mongerers. For some of you veterans, are there any key phrases or words in Thai that you recommend I learn before I get there? Also, how much does a cheap mobile phone cost there? Unfortunately I can't just swap in a new gsm card into my phone.

I've been to Pattaya twice, both times by myself, and both times I met good friends that I continue to keep in touch with. Don't worry if you're going alone, there's thousands of people that go alone. Easy to strike up conversation and go out to bars.

Archived