IGNORED

Pattaya buffets

I'm pasting info I posted in a trip report http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/73278-trip-report-march-2011/page__p__1156512__fromsearch__1#entry1156512 here since it's specifically about eating in Pattaya and might be of use in this forum. Hope it helps. Here it is:

As for eating, I always get my fill of real Thai food when I go to Isaan and other parts of the country. So in Pattaya, I seem to do a lot of the buffet thing. First night there, headed to the B180/per buffet at the Apex hotel. Fairly extensive, but barely edible. Definitely not recommended, whatever positive things you might hear about it.

I tried a couple of breakfast buffets, too. The B200/person buffet at the Sabai Empress hotel on soi 1 and Second Road, across from the Big C complex, was pretty decent. Hours were 7-10 AM. Decent selection of food and self-serve coffee/tea, so you don’t have to flag down wait staff every time you want a refill.

The B120/person breakfast buffet at the Best Beach Villa on soi 5 was definitely OK (much better than the Apex Hotel), but did reflect the B120 price tag. Friendly wait staff, though. Sorry, forgot to note the hours.

In agreement with the general consensus on the internet, my best experience was at the Poseidon hotel in Jomtien. B165/person for a decent buffet plus made-to-order omelets and cooked to order bacon, sausage, and pork steak, made it the best deal I found while I was there. It was the best food, too. Not only that, but it has awesome hours: 8AM to 2PM. Great. I’d recommend getting there by 9-9:30, though, to avoid waits at the omelet station. B165 was great, but it was bumped up to B205 with the B40 round trip on the baht buses from Pattaya to Jomtien. But that’s like a buck US, hardly a hardship.

Didn’t eat lunch much because of the huge breakfast buffets. When I did, it was a snack from a street vendor. I ate most of my suppers that way, too, from either street stalls with food to go or at the semi-permanent stands with noodles, somtom, etc. (By the way, street food in Thailand is totally safe. Been going to Thailand for 15 yrs now, eating street food for most of my meals, and have never once had a problem with it.)

The one exception to my street food for lunch/dinner routine was the dinner buffet at the Blue Sky Restaurant on the roof (27th floor) of the Mark Land hotel (tel 038 411 221) on Beach Road and Soi 1. At the time of writing, they only had the dinner buffet on Friday nights, from 7-10 PM. I didn’t know it started so late and showed up at like 5:30. No problem, though. They let me sit up there and enjoy drinks and the awesome view until the food was ready. It turns out my ignorance was bliss, too. By getting there early, I got table #15 in the northwest corner of the dining area—just about the best possible seat up there. I saw that other tables had been reserved, so I’d recommend calling ahead. They might even give you table 15 if you ask, though other tables are just fine. Otherwise, get there 30 minutes or so before the buffet starts to get the best tables of those that aren’t reserved. For B250/per, you know the food’s not going to be that great—and it wasn’t. But it wasn’t terrible, either, like at the Apex hotel, so I’d still go back for the atmosphere and views.

Thanks for the write up, I like the flipper house on soi 8 I think its B139 per head, value for money.

I will try the Poseidon hotel on my next trip :Cheers9:

Jolly Roger

The Poseidon buffet stopped yesterday the 13th of march. As per 15 march you can have now this buffet at the Casa Pascal in Pattaya (same owner) still at the price of 165 ThB from 8 am to 2 pm.

From 2 pm till 5 pm there will be a pastry ,sandwiches and coffee buffet for the price of 135 ThB.

The Poseidon buffet stopped yesterday the 13th of march. As per 15 march you can have now this buffet at the Casa Pascal in Pattaya (same owner) still at the price of 165 ThB from 8 am to 2 pm.

From 2 pm till 5 pm there will be a pastry ,sandwiches and coffee buffet for the price of 135 ThB.

Thanks for that useful update TinTin. I hope the word gets out. Here's Casa Pascal's website: http://casapascal.restaurant-in-pattaya.com/. It's on 2nd Road sort of across from the Marriott http://casapascal.restaurant-in-pattaya.com/contact.php. Much more convenient that the Poseidon if you're in Pattaya. I'll check it out next time I'm in town.

Thanks for the write up, I like the flipper house on soi 8 I think its B139 per head, value for money.

I will try the Poseidon hotel on my next trip :Cheers9:

Thanks for the info. I knew about the Flipper House as a place to stay, but didn't know about the buffet. I'll definitely give it a shot next time I'm in Pattaya.

Thanks for your review bt trav.

find it useful and informative

:001_Thank_You5:

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go weekly to the breakfast buffet at the Poseidon in Jomtien until it closed recently. I tried the Casa Pascal today for the afternoon tea and was pleasantly suprised with the selection of deli style finger sandwiches, cakes, pastries and fruits. This buffet is a great value for 135 baht and a nice quiet atmosphere with real tablecloths. They always had good coffee.

I have been doing the breakfast buffet and find it a bargain for 165 compared to those around 100. You get a nice air con dining without all the flies, excellent breads and pork steak with your eggs. While the selection is not extensive it is all good and a nice relaxing place to start the day.

Common sense is not very common.

• 9 months later...

Tried the Lek Hotel's breakfast buffet today. Was decent and decently priced at B150. But nothing really special. Good coffee, though--and self-serve, too, so you don't have to flag down a server everytime you want a refill. In the next few days, plan to try the breakfast buffets at Pascal (formerly at the Poseidon in Jomtien--see above, thanks Tin Tin), Lek Villa (as suggested by themosch above), and Flipper Lodge (as suggested by joer above). Any other suggestions? I'll also keep my eye out for others to try to add some original research, too. I'll make a new post for this year after I visit a few more buffets.

... In the next few days, plan to try the breakfast buffets at Pascal (formerly at the Poseidon in Jomtien...

The restaurant that is now at the former "Poseidon" location in Jomtien is called Bistro Oscar. They have a daily brunch buffet (0900-1400) with good quality foods. See "Excellent Brunch at Bistro Oscar." The price has gone up to 199 baht but that seems to have happened at a lot of places.

Also, News Steaks and Grill in Jomtien has a lunch buffet on Saturday and Sunday that is pretty decent.

"Time travel!! All you want is to slap a hippie, but all you get is multiple Kowalski's."