IGNORED

Logging Off

Captain Murgatroyd

Hello Guys,

Many of you have, at some time or other, visited and logged onto this site from a internet cafe, a shared computer, or a hotel computer....

It it vitally important that you all log out of the site before you leave the computer...

If you don't, you allow other people to access the board through your membership... they will be able to see anything that you can see, and use your ID to troll and flame... If you were unlucky you might find yourself banned by the time you returned... all because someone else has used your ID...

Be safe, and log out of the site before you log off.

Murgatroyd

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

How about a explanation on the remember me feature ?

please ,

Joe

"Hello John got a new motor ?"

Also we don't want any BG's getting access!

The girls that work in the net cafe's are normally pretty internet savvy, could cause problems!

Thanks Murg, great advice Sir

I lost the Great Shopper "Joe"

My understanding is that the "remember me" feature causes the computer to store and use your membership ID and password whenever someone uses that computer to log onto the board...

Thus you should never check the "Remember me" box on a computer that doesn't belong to you, or that might be used by other people...

And NEVER in an internet cafe, hotel, or work computer!

And Please look out for shoulder surfers...

Murg

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

My understanding is that the "remember me" feature causes the computer to store and use your membership ID and password whenever someone uses that computer to log onto the board...

Thus you should never check the "Remember me" box on a computer that doesn't belong to you, or that might be used by other people...

And NEVER in an internet cafe, hotel, or work computer!

And Please look out for shoulder surfers...

Murg

That's exactly what it does, and if you do it by accident, then you should change your password immediately.

But it's not just the "remember me" feature.

Logging off your session in an internet cafe does NOT automatically log you off any boards that you have been looking at.

They will remain open to the PC that you have used and the next person to use that PC can pick up where you left off!!!

Even turning off the PC doesn't always do it - that depends on how the internet cafe's network was set up.

This is also true of Hotmail, Yahoo mail and Gmail/Googlemail - and probably many other mail systems as well. By not logging off everything, you leave yourself vulnerable to the next person to come along.

Many people don't realise this - I've lost count of the number of times I've gone onto a PC only to find myself looking at somebody else's mail.

Cheers

LL

Great advice there Lounge Lizard, thanks for posting!

If you really want to be paranoid you can do this after you have logged out. Go to Tools on the menu bar and select Internet Options. On that page click Delete Cookies and Delete Files. Once that is done click on the Content tab and select AutoComplete. On this page click Clear Forms and Clear Passwords.

If you leave an internet cafe and remember that you forgot to log out you do not need to go back to the same computer to log off. Get to the nearest computer and log on. This will log off the session that you had on the original computer.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

If you leave an internet cafe and remember that you forgot to log out you do not need to go back to the same computer to log off. Get to the nearest computer and log on. This will log off the session that you had on the original computer.

Im not so sure that is always the case Scumbag. I think there are ways round it for certain places you log in from. Are you 100% sure? I have often wondered if this is the case? I NEVER click 'remember me' on a shared computer. I learnt the hard way in LOS. I forgot to log out, but fortunately went back to the SAME computer at the SAME internet cafe and realised what id done. Now im EXTRA carefule in LOS. BG's could fuck this site right up. I dont want any BG who knows tirak on this site. 55 I feel paranoid now, TR might have to become 'private' soon. :Good_Luck:

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

Im not so sure that is always the case Scumbag. I think there are ways round it for certain places you log in from. Are you 100% sure? I have often wondered if this is the case? I NEVER click 'remember me' on a shared computer. I learnt the hard way in LOS. I forgot to log out, but fortunately went back to the SAME computer at the SAME internet cafe and realised what id done. Now im EXTRA carefule in LOS. BG's could fuck this site right up. I dont want any BG who knows tirak on this site. 55 I feel paranoid now, TR might have to become 'private' soon. :)

The software is setup such that if you log on from a certain IP address then switch to another (say you go to a different location) you have to log in again. If you go back to the original location you will have to log in again even though you did not log out on that computer. Believe me on this as I have done it many times. I mainly use my work computer to access the forum. I never log out as I have a unique log in on the computer. If I access the forum from where I stay I have to log in again. On returning to work I have to log in again. IF I don't log in from where I stay I don't have to log in on my work computer the following day.

This is not the case with other boards. I know with Talk I stay logged in if I change locations (ie IP addresses.)

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Great advice there Lounge Lizard, thanks for posting!

You're welcome - I'm sure I shall be saying it again at some point.

Cheers

LL

The software is setup such that if you log on from a certain IP address then switch to another (say you go to a different location) you have to log in again. If you go back to the original location you will have to log in again even though you did not log out on that computer. Believe me on this as I have done it many times. I mainly use my work computer to access the forum. I never log out as I have a unique log in on the computer. If I access the forum from where I stay I have to log in again. On returning to work I have to log in again. IF I don't log in from where I stay I don't have to log in on my work computer the following day.

This is not the case with other boards. I know with Talk I stay logged in if I change locations (ie IP addresses.)

Scumbag, that's a fair point about IP addresses, but remember that all the PCs in an internet cafe are likely to be networked and sharing the same IP address, so just moving to another PC in the same cafe won't necessarily force a disconnect.

There are so many different ways of setting things up that it all becomes horribly complicated, and the only safe way is to make a point of logging off everything. If the system times you out, then buy a few more minutes time and go back in to close everything down properly.

Cheers

LL

• 3 weeks later...

One question.

Some boards have the "remember me" option checked by default, which is in my opinion wrong. I don't know whether this is the case here or not, but what happens if you're reading this board and the power goes down and you cannot log off? This has happened to me when I was using an internet cafe due to TOT's crap service having failed for the millionth time.

Alan

• 1 month later...

Some good advice in this thread re internet security, re the board, email etc. but also remember security issues when using internet banking. Personally, I carry a USB flash drive loaded with various portable apps http://portableapps.com

That way I use my own browser, always have my bookmarks with me, can compress/encrypt files, do some photo/video editing etc. Well worth a look IMHO :)

• 5 months later...
Some good advice in this thread re internet security, re the board, email etc. but also remember security issues when using internet banking. Personally, I carry a USB flash drive loaded with various portable apps <a href="http://portableapps.com" target="_blank"><a href="http://portableapps.com" target="_blank">http://portableapps.com</a></a>

That way I use my own browser, always have my bookmarks with me, can compress/encrypt files, do some photo/video editing etc. Well worth a look IMHO :)

Some more very good advice, thanks for posting!

Some good advice in this thread re internet security, re the board, email etc. but also remember security issues when using internet banking. Personally, I carry a USB flash drive loaded with various portable apps http://portableapps.com

Thanks mate. Neat trick & try it out. The Open Source/Mozilla s/w is good stuff.

Will have to remember that one plus some encryption on my USB drive itself in

case it gets lost or stolen .........

I checked something the other night which I hadn't done for a long time which gave me peace of mind. I went round my mates and logged in under my username so he could read my TR. He hadn't finished reading it when I left so I left him logged him in under my username. I told him that when I was to get home half an hour later home I would log in, which as far as I'm concerned would log him out. I rung him up just after I logged in to see if that was the case and if he could still use the site. Sure enough, it had logged him out and he could no longer access the site. Newbies remember this. There is a lot of sensitive stuff on this site which is top secret and needs to be protected.

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

Just a couple of points

1. Why does the 'remember me' option set to default to 'Yes' when you log on? I am a member of a similar site to this and this box defaults to 'No'. Surely the protection of data on the site is the most important factor to consider here
  2. If you have not logged off the forum when you finish using a computer at an internet cafe then anyone who types in 'Pa...' will bring up all of the sites that have been accessed by that computer recently and all of the pages within each site. These pages will be displayed in the drop down menu for the next user to select. In one of the worst case scenarios a Thai bar girl who is accessing a site that begins with Pattaya will see that the Pattaya addicts site has been visited recently and may click on it out of curiousity.

Just a couple of points

1. Why does the 'remember me' option set to default to 'Yes' when you log on? I am a member of a similar site to this and this box defaults to 'No'. Surely the protection of data on the site is the most important factor to consider here
  2. If you have not logged off the forum when you finish using a computer at an internet cafe then anyone who types in 'Pa...' will bring up all of the sites that have been accessed by that computer recently and all of the pages within each site. These pages will be displayed in the drop down menu for the next user to select. In one of the worst case scenarios a Thai bar girl who is accessing a site that begins with Pattaya will see that the Pattaya addicts site has been visited recently and may click on it out of curiousity.

In which case you're left at the mercy of their command of the English language, and if they're proficient enough to navigate to the 'questionable' parts of the site.

"Up to me" since 2005

• 3 months later...
In which case you're left at the mercy of their command of the English language, and if they're proficient enough to navigate to the 'questionable' parts of the site.

god help us all just wondering have u ever had problems with bar girls on here be4 and what about when u advertise the site on walkin street which i have seen alot what happens then :P

Edited by kii

it aint easy bein sleazy

come and do the kii romance dance

bill oddie can spot your beaver from miles away

Thanks a really important tip, when I get to pat on wednesday it will be the first time back as a trusted member and would not want to jepodise my status.

I AM A NORMAL GUY TOO SOFT WITH THE BG.s ... I LOOK 20 YEARS YOUNGER THAN I AM PEOPLE TELL ME ....BLOODY LIARS. LUV PATTAYA.

The number of times I have logged in to a forum at a internet cafe and find that the person using it before has not logged out.. I always make a point of logging out closing down then bringing up the front screen again.

• 10 months later...

Identity theft is a big issue on line- I garee with making sure to log off.

Besides we wouldn 't want just anyone looking through our business- er like the missus..

MAXVertical