IGNORED

MEDIA PLAYERS

pattayaguru

i am after a media player to use with my freecom external hard drive there are various on the market dont want to spend to much

never seen the results of these media players or see in use

i like u guys to tell me what brand you got will they play mkv and what is picture quality like any loss playing thru them i be using it on a crt tv not lcd when i back in patty

i am after a media player to use with my freecom external hard drive there are various on the market dont want to spend to much

never seen the results of these media players or see in use

i like u guys to tell me what brand you got will they play mkv and what is picture quality like any loss playing thru them i be using it on a crt tv not lcd when i back in patty

i got one of these and am well happy with it. nice and small so you can take it on trips. and havn't had any trouble playing mkv

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TurnMeOn-Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Media-Player-/280642282457?pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item41579563d9#ht_2301wt_1139

they have now released a new one though which seems to play more files even though i haven't had trouble with mkv's the new one is developed for the higher resolution files

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TurnMeOn-Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Media-Player-2_W0QQitemZ320669366957QQcategoryZ294QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D6%26pmod%3D280642282457%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7688477927573714644#ht_2513wt_962

Edited by deano1011

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

whats the picture quality like played thru it any loss of quality is it as same as the movie inside hard drive or lesser quality is the type of info i need thanks for u reply

whats the picture quality like played thru it any loss of quality is it as same as the movie inside hard drive or lesser quality is the type of info i need thanks for u reply

do they heat up as i hear they get very hot

no loss of quality at all. i use a hdmi lead to a 40" lcd and it's fine. some how it seems better than watching it on your laptop.

it has some sort of upscaling device which could make the difference.

have never noticed mine get hot. to be fair it's just plonked next to my tv with a hard drive plugged into it so i probably would'nt notice if it did. had mine over a year now and no problems.

it does'nt come with the hdmi lead i bought it seperatly, it does come with a component lead though.

my only gripe is the remote is a bit small. bargain for the price though.

Edited by deano1011

ebuyer has a lot of these media players and all the remotes i hear are flimsy but as i be using it in pattaya on one of the old type tvs in a rented appartment not a lcd tv so be intersting on the pic quality on a old type tv

re what u mentioned yes it has what they call upscaling for use on lcds

thanks again for your input appreciate more input from other users of media players dont want to pay more than £20

o that link u sent didnt mention it played mkv said didnt play mp4 thats no prob can coinvert to avi or mkv

ebuyer has a lot of these media players and all the remotes i hear are flimsy but as i be using it in pattaya on one of the old type tvs in a rented appartment not a lcd tv so be intersting on the pic quality on a old type tv

re what u mentioned yes it has what they call upscaling for use on lcds

thanks again for your input appreciate more input from other users of media players dont want to pay more than £20

o that link u sent didnt mention it played mkv said didnt play mp4 thats no prob can coinvert to avi or mkv

mine plays some mp4's but not all, i just try not to download them or convert them as you say, no it does'nt mention mkv but mine plays them fine. don't think you got many choices at under £20 to be honest.

mine plays some mp4's but not all, i just try not to download them or convert them as you say, no it does'nt mention mkv but mine plays them fine. don't think you got many choices at under £20 to be honest.

thanks again might for for that one u sent a link for u get yours of ebay?

also i wonder what the prices are in pattaya has to be more cheaper in the uk with exchange rates etc

cheers deano

thanks again might for for that one u sent a link for u get yours of ebay?

also i wonder what the prices are in pattaya has to be more cheaper in the uk with exchange rates etc

cheers deano

yeah got mine off ebay, was £27 when i bought it but the price has dropped now.

did'nt check out electronics in patts so can't advise you there..

WDTV seems to be pretty popular.

Be scene and not herd.

WDTV seems to be pretty popular.

thanx for that link but looking for something more portable

• 1 month later...

I would suggest a WDTV Live but that has already been said. Still, im suggesting it. Its tiny, all it needs is a power cable and you can plug it in to you're tv.

• 1 month later...

Around a year ago i bought the iomega 1TB screenplay

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iomega-ScreenPlay-Plus-Multimedia-Drive/dp/B002ORX0RC

it is really good to be honest but a little heavy but still the best out there i think(bar the 2tb one of course!)

It has hdmi or scart or the red yellow white cables(all included)

picture is great(not a huge high def fan so cant say if the high def is great as they all look the same to me only picture i have ever seen to truly stand out was on an OLED screen but thats off topic!)

i do travel to work with my media player i work on lifitn barges all over so it gets plenty of knocks and bangs and still works like new a year later.

The 1tb version i have is plenty i still have 250gb free after a year! got 100\'s of films on it and it also does photos etc

it does fit in my netbook bag with the power leads but is a little bit of a squeeze

Product Features and Technical Details

Product Features

Hard disk drive capacity: 1000 GB

Connectivity technology: Wired

HDMI ports quantity: 1

USB 2.0 ports quantity: 1

SCART ports quantity: 1

Product Description: Iomega ScreenPlay Plus HD Media Player - digital AV player

Device Type: Digital AV player

Dimensions (WxDxH): 13 cm x 19.1 cm x 4.3 cm

Weight: 0.88 kg

Key Features: Digital audio player, digital photo viewer, external HDD function, digital video player

Hard Drive: 1 TB

TV Output Resolution: 576p, 576i, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i

Supported Still Images Formats: BMP, JPEG

Supported Audio Formats: WAV, WMA, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3, AC-3

Video Playback Formats: MPEG-4, XviD, DivX 5.0, DivX 4.0, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, DivX 3.11, AVI, VOB, ISO, DivX 6.0

External Control Devices: Remote control

PC Interfaces: Hi-Speed USB

Included Accessories: USB cable, remote control, component video cable, composite video cable , power adapter

Environmental Standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified

Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years warranty

Technical Details

Main Specifications

Product Description: Iomega ScreenPlay Plus HD Media Player - digital AV player

Device Type: Digital AV player

Dimensions (WxDxH): 13 cm x 19.1 cm x 4.3 cm

Weight: 0.88 kg

Key Features: Digital audio player, digital photo viewer, external HDD function, digital video player

Hard Drive: 1 TB

TV Output Resolution: 576p, 576i, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i

Supported Still Images Formats: BMP, JPEG

Supported Audio Formats: WAV, WMA, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3, AC-3

Video Playback Formats: MPEG-4, XviD, DivX 5.0, DivX 4.0, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, DivX 3.11, AVI, VOB, ISO, DivX 6.0

External Control Devices: Remote control

PC Interfaces: Hi-Speed USB

Included Accessories: USB cable, remote control, component video cable, composite video cable , power adapter

Environmental Standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified

Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years warranty

what would i do to make it better....

make it lighter and smaller for sure, there are plenty of tiny 1TB drives around now so shouldnt be long till that happens.

Have it so it runs off the power of the device its plugged in to, i hate the fact you need an extra plug socket!!

Apart from those points is great and very good value for money. shop around i got mine a year ago in pc world uk for 120quid not sure how much they are now.

One last thing the iomega site is very easy to use and has firmware updates that increase the number of formats it plays.

cheers

craig

well finally bought one of ebay called the CYCLONE MICRO made by SUMOVISION cost me £17.56 with free postage roughly the size of a 20pack of

cigarettes

Upscales to 1080 with connections for hdmi and memorysticks and cards does a brilliant job only gripe is the remote is tiny but now getting used to it

handy for thai with my freecom 500 gig external hardrive and 350 gig freecom the freecom drives are the worlds smallest external hard drives fits into shirt pocket

so sorted now. thanks for u replies guys

Edited by pattayaguru

just found today this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1080P-2-5-HDD-HD-Media-Player-RM-MKV-H-264-SD-HOST-HDMI-/400170441303?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item5d2c045a57

bloke on here at work has one and its very light and small, i will be getting one. it is just a shell you pop a 2.5inch disc drive in (standard netbook/laptop portable hard-drive size) so you can even make use of your old hard drives, they slot right into the it.

I am buying one to replace my iomega one which as i said above is a bit on the bulky side.

*edit to add specs*

Features:

•The world\'s first to support RM/RMVB(Real8/9/10) video decoding to 1080P, support network all RM/RMVB format, is the RM/RMVB\'s demise.

•Support H.263,H.264.(MKV,MOV,AVI),WMV,VC-1,RV40. Also unique vector fonts (fonts zoom).

•Industry\'s lowest power consumption of the media player.

•OTG-USB port, as the device can copy content from the PC side, also from the SD card and USB devices read the file.

•Rich video output interface: HDMI1.3 interface, component video terminal YUV(YPrPb,YCrCb), AV interface.

•File management capabilities folders and files can copy, delete, paste.

•Unique musical slide show, you can play music while browsing photos, playing MP3 music format, support LRC lyrics display synchronization.

•Supports multiple OSD languages (including English), the external subtitle SRT.

•Video format: Real(RM/RMVB), H.264(MKV/MOV/AVI), MPEG1/2/4(DAT/VOB/AVI), WMV(320*240), H.263(AVI), VC-1, RV40, DIVX, MP4, M4V, PMP, AVC, FLV, MPG, DAT.

•Audio format: MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC, OGG, AAC, AC3, DTS.

•Picture format: JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG.

•Support cards: SD, MMC, SDHC.

•Support language: Chinese (Simplified/Traditional), English, Russian, French, Spanish.German, Japanese.

•Support internal 2.5\" SATA Hard Disk.

Specifications:

Power Supply: AC Adapter, Input 100-240V AC (50HZ/60HZ), Output 5.6V DC-2A

Host Dimension: 130 × 80 × 20mm (length × width × height)

Color: Red/Black

Package consents:

•1 x HD Media player (Host)

•1 x Remote control

•1 x USB cable

•1 x AV cable

•1 x YPbPr cable

•1 x HDMI cable

•1 x Power adapter

NOTE: This product not include Hard disk!

Edited by mrcgp

just found today this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1080P-2-5-HDD-HD-Media-Player-RM-MKV-H-264-SD-HOST-HDMI-/400170441303?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item5d2c045a57

bloke on here at work has one and its very light and small, i will be getting one. it is just a shell you pop a 2.5inch disc drive in (standard netbook/laptop portable hard-drive size) so you can even make use of your old hard drives, they slot right into the it.

I am buying one to replace my iomega one which as i said above is a bit on the bulky side.

*edit to add specs*

Features:

•The world\'s first to support RM/RMVB(Real8/9/10) video decoding to 1080P, support network all RM/RMVB format, is the RM/RMVB\'s demise.

•Support H.263,H.264.(MKV,MOV,AVI),WMV,VC-1,RV40. Also unique vector fonts (fonts zoom).

•Industry\'s lowest power consumption of the media player.

•OTG-USB port, as the device can copy content from the PC side, also from the SD card and USB devices read the file.

•Rich video output interface: HDMI1.3 interface, component video terminal YUV(YPrPb,YCrCb), AV interface.

•File management capabilities folders and files can copy, delete, paste.

•Unique musical slide show, you can play music while browsing photos, playing MP3 music format, support LRC lyrics display synchronization.

•Supports multiple OSD languages (including English), the external subtitle SRT.

•Video format: Real(RM/RMVB), H.264(MKV/MOV/AVI), MPEG1/2/4(DAT/VOB/AVI), WMV(320*240), H.263(AVI), VC-1, RV40, DIVX, MP4, M4V, PMP, AVC, FLV, MPG, DAT.

•Audio format: MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC, OGG, AAC, AC3, DTS.

•Picture format: JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG.

•Support cards: SD, MMC, SDHC.

•Support language: Chinese (Simplified/Traditional), English, Russian, French, Spanish.German, Japanese.

•Support internal 2.5\" SATA Hard Disk.

Specifications:

Power Supply: AC Adapter, Input 100-240V AC (50HZ/60HZ), Output 5.6V DC-2A

Host Dimension: 130 × 80 × 20mm (length × width × height)

Color: Red/Black

Package consents:

•1 x HD Media player (Host)

•1 x Remote control

•1 x USB cable

•1 x AV cable

•1 x YPbPr cable

•1 x HDMI cable

•1 x Power adapter

NOTE: This product not include Hard disk!

thats very good, i bought mine about 5 weeks ago unfortunately mine doesnt play mkv and u have buy the look of it full size remote, the only prob with these media playere is if u lose or break remote u cant use them or have to hunt around for a all in 1 remote

here is the one i bought

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167205

since i bought mine the mkv version has dropped to £20

Edited by pattayaguru

thats very good, i bought mine about 5 weeks ago unfortunately mine doesnt play mkv and u have buy the look of it full size remote, the only prob with these media playere is if u lose or break remote u cant use them or have to hunt around for a all in 1 remote

here is the one i bought

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167205

since i bought mine the mkv version has dropped to £20

Looks good! also about the remote if you have an idevice you can buy an add-on and use an app that turns it into a universal remote which is pretty good.

Another good thing with the one you put your own hard drive in above is that it has controls build in to it! added bonus i thought should you lose the remote which is also a lot smaller than the iomega remote.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AFNAQ2/ref=oss_product thats the idevice add-on to make it a universal remote. have not used it yet to be honest was one of them \"bored gunna by a gadget\" moments :)

Looks good! also about the remote if you have an idevice you can buy an add-on and use an app that turns it into a universal remote which is pretty good.

Another good thing with the one you put your own hard drive in above is that it has controls build in to it! added bonus i thought should you lose the remote which is also a lot smaller than the iomega remote.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AFNAQ2/ref=oss_product thats the idevice add-on to make it a universal remote. have not used it yet to be honest was one of them \"bored gunna by a gadget\" moments :)

i have noticed with my tv remote i can use it on my media player but tv remote buttons do not correspond with media remote obviously found some other old remotes and found they do the same so its just a matter of relabelling or puting labels on old remotes that work with media player

i noticed on and off switch, play switch works with media player maybe u should try it with yours

also u canbuy now cheap universl remotes for £5/6

• 1 month later...

VLC Media player is a good choice it plays next to all video file types.

VLC Media player is a good choice it plays next to all video file types.

i thinkl you are getting confused mate we are talking about devices which allow u to watch your movies on the tv not on u pc

I use an xstreamer

find them online just google it.

I have been using an ASUS O'play for a couple of years, no hard disk, but I stream from a couple of computers and a NAS. Both HDMI and standard cable setup, USB & eSATA attachement. See ad here:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Play-Media-Player-Black/dp/B002MCZJ3C

It's an older model, jeez price has gone up, picked up mine for $89.00. This model is "wire" only, the ASUS O'Play Air, also connects through wi-fi. Mine plays just about everything although it gets picky with some combinations. Through some firmware upgrades it picks up internet TV (thousand of basically useless channels), but I can watch Thai TV, and internet radio.