Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

In Room Safes

Dodgy

Ok this is for the paranoid amongst us.

I read quite a few posts regarding the security of in room safes.

This has got me thinking.

Seeing many of these safes on my travels they all seem to have one thing in common, they all seem to have a felt type pad inside on the bottom of the safe.

Now here's the idea.

I strikes me that it would be quite easy to make a false bottom for the safe.

Perhaps a bit of cardboard with some felt stuck to it that could be easily be cut to the size of the safe bottom.

Cash (notes) could then be hidden in the bottom of the safe with other items on top. Obviously items on top are still in full view but it might fool someone enough to keep your cash.

Just a thought, I'll get back to my needlework now :wacko:

Dodgy

I've never had a problem with in room safes in any of the places I've stayed in Thailand and I've stayed in hundreds over the years.Nor have I had a problem. With behind the counter. Safes. You are right though there are many establishments where the security is a problem and the safes are so easy to get into.

Hiding it in plain site. I like it.

I have always used the in room safes and so far (touch wood) I have not had a problem.

I'd hate for something like this to seriously effect my finances and that is why I keep most of my cash in the Thai bank account I opened.

My computer and video camera etc can be replaced but I need the money to have a holiday. :)

Greta idea though.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I have never had a problem with a safe in my room, thats a good idea just don't forget that you have stashed your cash there.

www.lcfc.com

www.leicestertigers.com

Posted Image

CountdownClockCodes.com

Never had any problems with my in room safe either, but after reading the thread about Liquid lounge and cash missing from the safe I ordered myself a packsafe to keep my credit cards in inside the safe.

The chance that stuff gets stolen from the safe is slim but you are never guaranteed it wont happen.

i remember a story which regular pattaya expats might know about regarding the intown hotel about a few years back the night staff were given free drinks soft drinks by a thai guy which were spiked once they were out for the count the gang went in and got the safe keys back ups they kept and emptied the lot behind the reception dont remember the actual amount they got the intown hotel in soi honey

Edited by pattayaguru

For the few who trust hotel safe it might be an idea to watch this movie:

If stilltrust hotel safe there is the long row to the right at the end of the movie of various method to crack the this very simple safe and btw if safe not bolted to interior it's rather easy movable

I do use safe myself but only for a few THB, passport etc and always assure the wardrope door (if any) is locked

Edited by Kandinski

There are a couple of options if you're worried about the security of your valuables. As Trav mention, PakSafe produce a couple of travelling 'safes' you can leave things in, or Yale does a small hard-case travelling safe.

I'm considering buying the little Yale travelling safe for my next trip, just to add an extra level of security. I'd still be placing it inside the hotel safe, but am confident it would deter any petty theft. Even if someone did open my room safe with a potato, they can't pilfer small amounts of cash or copy my Card details. I kinda figure if someone's going to be bold enough to steal the whole travelling safe then nothing much would stop them anywaybiggrin.gif.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

I have stayed at several hotels in Bangkok and pattaya and never ever had a problem with security . I would think the more popular the hotels are the more they would care about their customers security

For the few who trust hotel safe it might be an idea to watch this movie:

If stilltrust hotel safe there is the long row to the right at the end of the movie of various method to crack the this very simple safe and btw if safe not bolted to interior it's rather easy movable

I do use safe myself but only for a few THB, passport etc and always assure the wardrope door (if any) is locked

I have a safe at home exactly like the video and tried to open it with method shown on youtube. NOT possible.

I have one of the paksafe bags too that is the stealth version, so it is a bag and not just the wire net. Works great. Definitely not unstoppable, but a good deterrent when I am at places without a safe. I take around a few grand in camera equipment, so it can a bit nerve racking, but there is always travelers/renters/home owners/personal items insurance that will cover that to some extent.

I have one of the paksafe bags too that is the stealth version, so it is a bag and not just the wire net. Works great. Definitely not unstoppable, but a good deterrent when I am at places without a safe. I take around a few grand in camera equipment, so it can a bit nerve racking, but there is always travelers/renters/home owners/personal items insurance that will cover that to some extent.

I have just ordered a Milockie for extra security on my travels, not cheap but once you have bought it, you have it for life.