IGNORED

What's the deal with obese people on planes?

Session

but come on, can the airlines make them any smaller..

Yes, they can put an oversize useless entertainment center box under every seat.

I will never fly on Japan Airlines again.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• discoman

• Texas Skibum

• cariden

• jcp7620

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think taking one seat out of a row and putting in two larger seats is an acceptable compromise.

Well lets spread it out a bit.

Take one seat out of each row and make all the seats wider.

Take out a couple of rows and give a bit of leg room as well.

As fat people wight more they should pay an increased air fair as ther plane will require more fuel to reach its destination.

Skinny people like me should recieve a discount

Not a bad idea; ticket pricing by weight. Unfortunately, this idea will not work since majority of people are overweight.

:Club_fight1::Club_fight1::Club_fight1::Club_fight1::Club_fight1:

Yep, that is at least part of the reason I got fat, but I've since wised up and made the decision to better myself.

I'm am now VERY critical of the ingredients of everything that I eat. This is when I discovered that they put sugar in just about everything! I mean seriously, 90% of the packaged foods that I look at in the supermarket have some sort of sugar in them, even places you would never expect it like steak rub, it is unreal. I cut nearly all sugar and carbohydrates from my diet, and since this past November I've dropped 65 pounds. I'm still a fat body but it is now my personal mission to correct the situation and never eat that shit again.

I can't speak for other countries (though my wife tells me that people are porking up in Europe too) but here in the US everywhere you go, its all about low fat this low fat that, and a myriad of diet plans and gym memberships. Ironically though, the population is getting fatter than ever, why? Call me a member of the thin foil hat brigade, but I think that these corporations know full well that low fat diet plans don't work well and when people get frustrated and depressed a lot of times they eat. Thus it is in their vested interest to keep everyone dissatisfied and fat but tempted by the next ad campaign so they continue to spend their money . There is not nearly as much money to be made from happy thin people.

Congrats on your weight loss! I wish you continued success!

It is true that high fructose corn syrup, which is worse than sugar, is in almost everything. Fructose is more fattening than animal fat itself. We need to avoid processed food which contains not only fructose but many other harmful ingredients like genetically modified foods and preservatives. But, this is extremely hard to do. Because when given food choices, 90% are processed foods. And thus, our society has accepted this as the norm.

Eating processed food and drinking soda is NOT nourishment. That is why people KEEP eating because the body does not feel fed. When we eat real food, the body is nourished so we stop craving food. Real food means organic meats, fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, etc. Eat real food and we will be healthy which is more important than loosing weight. Before the age of processed foods, diabetes and cancer was rarity and so was cardiovascular and host of other diseases.

Well lets spread it out a bit.

Take one seat out of each row and make all the seats wider.

Take out a couple of rows and give a bit of leg room as well.

Hey I would love that, but then the price of that $200 flight becomes $1000 flight. The airlines can absorb two seats on a plane. In the end there has to be some compromise that works. As an over weight person that must fly to live, I can't change my weight overnight. I'm talking about a simple solution that would shut up all of the thin people that complain. You see contrary to what many selfish people of today believe, when you purchase a ticket on a plane you do not purchase the space. The area that encapsulates the seat is not owned for the time being by the person siting in the seat. We all share the same space, for air, bathroom, etc. Just like those ass wipes that feel that they just have to let the seat back all the way. Do you realize that it is sometimes uncomfortable for the person sitting behind you. Of course they don't, because they could care less someone other than themselves.

I typically choose not to let my seat back for this reason. It's called looking out for the other person. Do unto others what you would have done to you. A very simple but effective phrase.

• 7 months later...

Remember, there are different levels of 'fatties'. I am overweight and consider

myself a level 1 'fattie'. I don't need a seat belt extension and I can stay fully in my side

of the seat in 99% of planes. Notice I said in most planes. It seems like the Asian

airlines (like Korean Airlines) have very small coach seats compared to an airline

like Delta. I fit, but am very cramped in a Korean Airlines seat, but fit fairly comfortably

in a Delta seat. The 2nd level of overweight person I consider a level 2 and needs

a seat belt extension and/or doesn't fit in one seat properly (even in a bigger American airline).

I think this 2nd more obese person definitely needs to buy a 2nd seat (many are forced to).

I have sat next to a much fatter person than myself (a fat lady) and while she took up more

room than me, she seemed very annoyed when she rubbed up against me (unavoidable she was so obese).

I was stoic about the situation and just handled the situation as best as I could, but she made faces

and muttered crap the whole 15 hours (even though it was her fault).

Good points!

I'm a level 1 fatty, myself, and have never had anyone complain about me or my size.

I also liked discoman's comment about "doing unto others." I've had drinks knocked into my lap more than once by someone who has popped his/her seat back without warning.

It would be an ideal world if airlines would give passengers a little more space, but they're out to make a profit, and the best way they can do that is by packing us in like sardines. The way to get yourself more space is by purchasing a Business Class or First Class seat ... something that's out of reach to many (if not most) of us.

It is true that high fructose corn syrup, which is worse than sugar, is in almost everything. Fructose is more fattening than animal fat itself...Real food means organic meats, fruits...

Like oranges & other citrus fruits that are high in fructose?

Before the age of processed foods, diabetes and cancer was rarity and so was cardiovascular and host of other diseases.

Before the age of processed foods life expectancy was much lower. Modern diseases, such as diabetes & cancer, have become more prevalent because we are living longer; Altzeimers is another example.

Sorry but you lost me on your use of the word 'organic'. Simple physics tells us that weight loss can only be achieved through calorie control & exercise (energy in < energy out) be it through the satiating effect of meat in the Atkins Diet or otherwise. Any other method is at best secondary & pure weight loss has a greater benefit for health than 'healthy eating'.

sgu_banner.gif

Hey I would love that, but then the price of that $200 flight becomes $1000 flight. The airlines can absorb two seats on a plane. In the end there has to be some compromise that works. As an over weight person that must fly to live, I can't change my weight overnight. I'm talking about a simple solution that would shut up all of the thin people that complain. You see contrary to what many selfish people of today believe, when you purchase a ticket on a plane you do not purchase the space. The area that encapsulates the seat is not owned for the time being by the person siting in the seat. We all share the same space, for air, bathroom, etc. Just like those ass wipes that feel that they just have to let the seat back all the way. Do you realize that it is sometimes uncomfortable for the person sitting behind you. Of course they don't, because they could care less someone other than themselves.

I typically choose not to let my seat back for this reason. It's called looking out for the other person. Do unto others what you would have done to you. A very simple but effective phrase.

I believe that what I'm purchasing when I buy my ticket is the use of the space between the armrests of the plane and the shared use of the common areas of the aircraft for the duration of the flight. If I roll over the armrest into my neighbors seat I'm taking away their ability to use something that they paid for and that's not right. If you can't fit between the armrests and you encroach into another passengers space then you should buy an additional seat.

I feel the same way about reclining; the airline sold me a seat that reclines so it's within my right to use that function. I'm not going to slam it back into a person, but I will gently recline my seat to use all the space that I've paid for. Many of the new economy seats alleviate this problem by using a hard shell that the base and back of the seat slide within; it's definitely something to consider when choosing one airline over another.

Being a 'fatty' myself I'm offended by the notion that the airline or other passengers should subsidize the fact that I'm fat by providing me with extra space free of charge. My personal fatness isn't a handicap or disease, it's the culmination of years of poor choices.

Fritzy

I believe that what I'm purchasing when I buy my ticket is the use of the space between the armrests of the plane and the shared use of the common areas of the aircraft for the duration of the flight. If I roll over the armrest into my neighbors seat I'm taking away their ability to use something that they paid for and that's not right. If you can't fit between the armrests and you encroach into another passengers space then you should buy an additional seat.

I feel the same way about reclining; the airline sold me a seat that reclines so it's within my right to use that function. I'm not going to slam it back into a person, but I will gently recline my seat to use all the space that I've paid for. Many of the new economy seats alleviate this problem by using a hard shell that the base and back of the seat slide within; it's definitely something to consider when choosing one airline over another.

Being a 'fatty' myself I'm offended by the notion that the airline or other passengers should subsidize the fact that I'm fat by providing me with extra space free of charge. My personal fatness isn't a handicap or disease, it's the culmination of years of poor choices.

Fritzy

It's easy to sit back and think that you are purchasing a space. Tell me if nobody is sitting next to you do you spread out? Do you put things on the seat next to you. Well you didn't purchase that seat so you shouldn't. Some seats on planes are better than others. Try Flying United Airlines in coach. Ever since they added the economy plus they made up for it by taking legroom from the regular coach seats. Given your theory the airline should charge less for those seats because they are giving you less space. I somehow doubt that is happening. Sure it's easy to say i should buy a second seat. What happens if there aren't two seats available next to each other? Am i supposed to split myself in half?

Do you keep your arms and elbows within the designated space? A group of people are all on a plane flying to a destination. I just feel it is better for people to think about the entire group as opposed to just themselves.