IGNORED

What's the deal with obese people on planes?

Session

Do you eat that food and is it this type of food that has made you 'fat'?

Yep, that is at least part of the reason I got fat, but I've since wised up and made the decision to better myself.

I'm am now VERY critical of the ingredients of everything that I eat. This is when I discovered that they put sugar in just about everything! I mean seriously, 90% of the packaged foods that I look at in the supermarket have some sort of sugar in them, even places you would never expect it like steak rub, it is unreal. I cut nearly all sugar and carbohydrates from my diet, and since this past November I've dropped 65 pounds. I'm still a fat body but it is now my personal mission to correct the situation and never eat that shit again.

I can't speak for other countries (though my wife tells me that people are porking up in Europe too) but here in the US everywhere you go, its all about low fat this low fat that, and a myriad of diet plans and gym memberships. Ironically though, the population is getting fatter than ever, why? Call me a member of the thin foil hat brigade, but I think that these corporations know full well that low fat diet plans don't work well and when people get frustrated and depressed a lot of times they eat. Thus it is in their vested interest to keep everyone dissatisfied and fat but tempted by the next ad campaign so they continue to spend their money . There is not nearly as much money to be made from happy thin people.

"I want to take you into that bedroom, lock the door, throw you on the bed, take off your clothes with my teeth and give you a go-round like you've never had."

Herman "Duck" Phillips

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• discoman

• Texas Skibum

• cariden

• bigaallaann

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As an overweight but not obese guy I gotta say that anyone that goes on with this bullshit of wanting big passengers paying double then I want a section without drunk skinny yobs acting like idiots or babies that scream for the whole flight.Where does it end.

How about this

Why don't the people bitching about there seats go pay for first class and leave us bigger guys to enjoy the row without idiots like you.

Your argument doesn't quite stick with me. When I buy a plane ticket I pay for a certain space on a plane. The money buys me the space but nothing else, i.e. no guarantee to sit in a quiet environment or away from a baldie or idiot. So I can't complain not getting my mone's worth when sitting next to a drunk/baby but I can complain not getting what I paid for if someone else takes up some of the space I bought.

I dont want to get into an argument here since I see the problem not with the larger people to buy two tickets but with the airline to provide seats that give me what I paid for (e.g. having spare seats to allocate large people to).

As for the first class comment, well, I just can't pay for it. Telling me not to fly then is discriminating the same way as me telling fat people not to.

As a fat person I have a problem with the seat size on aircraft. I has got to the point where when I visit family in Greece I won't fly the UK holiday airlines as the seats are made for midgets I will only fly scheduled. However, I go out of my way to make sure I dont encroach on the person next to me. I always get an aisle seat and I always make sure that I lean into the aisle to give the person next to me as much room as possible even though its fucking uncomfortable for me. In fact they probably get more room sitting next to this fat bastard than they do sitting next to some skinny folks who think that they are allowed to put their elbows half way across your seat.

The simplest solution is that on all forms of transportation..It should be compulsory that fat people pay for 2 seats and not one.

If fatties don`t like that,put all the fatties in rows of seats together in a different section of the plane..

Fatties will then learn and know how it feels like when encroach another passengers seating area.. :GoldenSmile1:

If very fat make them travel in the cargo hold of a plane. :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by bigaallaann

The simplest solution is that on all forms of transportation..It should be compulsory that fat people pay for 2 seats and not one.

If fatties don`t like that,put all the fatties in rows of seats together in a different section of the plane..

Fatties will then learn and know how it feels like when encroach another passengers seating area.. :GoldenSmile1:

If very fat make them travel in the cargo hold of a plane. :GoldenSmile1:

Stop beating about the bush and get off that fence..... Spit it out man, what do you think of fatties, EH :GoldenSmile1:

?

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

I've .... seen things ..... you people would never believe...............

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Stop beating about the bush and get off that fence..... Spit it out man, what do you think of fatties, EH :GoldenSmile1:

?

I have nothing against fatties in general,I only dislike the way fatties I have experienced in the past trying to take over where you sit.

Example..On a bus in LA had a fattie lady sit next to me on a bus,wriggled her ass around on the seat till I was getting squashed against the side of the bus...took 3/4 of the seat.

I also think its a great idea if airline did charge fatties for 2 seats as would give them an extra seating area and comfort.It would still be less expensive than paying to travel B.class or F.class. :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by bigaallaann

I see that discriminating against and using derogatory terms toward overweight people is still fairly accepted..

I see that discriminating against and using derogatory terms toward overweight people is still fairly accepted..

This is a monger's board. What did you expect? Political Correctness?

"I'm on the side that's always lost

against the side of heaven.

I'm on the side of snake eyes tossed

against the side of seven."

As a fat person, I can honestly say that its just as bad for them as you, I don't fly much but when I do I will upgrade to first class whenever possible. Even if you got two seats to yourself being a fat person in coach isn't a picnic. I'd bet that a lot of obese people would just buy a first class ticket if the regular priced (not the ultra superduper platinum skymiles i live out of hotels) rates where not like ten times the price of a coach ticket. I mean really, does the first class seat really take up that much more space on the airplane??? Nope, they just jack those rates up to keep the "regular" folks out of those seats so they can give them away to frequent flyers and the like, most of which are probably buying the ticket on corporate expenses anyhow.

Now before anyone starts in with the "just go on a diet fatass" or "go for a 15 min walk per day" remarks, well if you think is that simple don't you think that everyone would be doing it? The real reason there are so many fat people is because of all the crap they put in the food and all these bullshit "low fat" diet plans that are setting people up for failure. It's all some game that corporations are playing with you (and your health) to separate you from your money. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if McDonalds owned a bunch of shares in Weightwatchers, so they could get you coming and going. Then there is the gross negligence of many doctors to properly diagnose issues like insulin resistance and thyroid disorders, I could go on but I don't want to hijack the thread with my ranting.

Related story

First of all, let me applaud the fact that you mention in your second post that you've something like 65 lbs. so far. However, this first post really struck me. In my humble opinion, everything in here is so much what is wrong with society as a whole these days. Everything mentioned is blaming someone else instead of taking personal responsibility. A while back I saw a girl at work I hadn't seen in a long time. She had lost a lot of weight. I told her she looked great and how did she lose it. Her reply was, "I stopped putting so much food in my mouth". We can blame everyone else on the planet, but the amount and type of food you put in your mouth is raised by your own hands.

I agree that there is a huge problem with processed foods these days, but there is so much nutritional information out there nowadays, if you take any time at all, you can quickly determine 1. what your food intake should be daily 2. what to eat or 3. how much of it.

Is it hard to do? No. Is it inconvenient? Absolutely. At least in the beginning. You can't just run down to the nearest fast food place for a burger and fries every day, but you can indulge every once in a while. You have to learn what good foods to keep around to keep you full. Another person told me a funny comment the other day. They said they prefer the feeling of being skinny over the feeling of always eating the best tasting food.

By the way, I say all this from experience. I have never been extremely obese, but I have been 40 lbs overweight and tried running, walking, diets, etc. to take it off. Only eating right helped take it off. When I finally sat down and started to calculate the calories each of the things I was eating, I was amazed. For instance, I thought most Thai food would be fairly low calorie. Nope. Stuff with Coconut milk has a ton of calories. That doesn't mean you can't eat it, but you have to eat less and it restricts what else you can have during the day.

Until you determine how many calories you SHOULD eat each day compared to how many you are eating each day, you won't lose what you need and keep it off.

Edited by texasskibum

I don`t think anyone is discriminating against obese people,just thinking what would be best for everyone in general when it comes to traveling.

I don`t think using the term "Fattie" as such is being used in a derogatory way here either as just slang with no intention of offending anyone using the board.

"I agree that there is a huge problem with processed foods these days, but there is so much nutritional information out there nowadays, if you take any time at all, you can quickly determine 1. what your food intake should be daily 2. what to eat or 3. how much of it.

Is it hard to do? No. Is it inconvenient? Absolutely. At least in the beginning. You can't just run down to the nearest fast food place for a burger and fries every day, but you can indulge every once in a while. You have to learn what good foods to keep around to keep you full. Another person told me a funny comment the other day. They said they prefer the feeling of being skinny over the feeling of always eating the best tasting food.

By the way, I say all this from experience. I have never been extremely obese, but I have been 40 lbs overweight and tried running, walking, diets, etc. to take it off. Only eating right helped take it off. Until you determine how many calories you SHOULD eat each day compared to how many you are eating each day, you won't lose what you need and keep it off."

THANK YOU FOR SOLVING MY LIFE PROBLEMS, now can we move onto complaining to the airlines about their tiny seats.. and do you drink or smoke or stink, as i find them much more obnoxious than a fattie sitting next to me on a plane.

THANK YOU FOR SOLVING MY LIFE PROBLEMS, now can we move onto complaining to the airlines about their tiny seats.. and do you drink or smoke or stink, as i find them much more obnoxious than a fattie sitting next to me on a plane.

:Sarcasm on:

Your welcome. As for airline seats the solution is to fly premium economy, business or first when you have the money or miles.

:Sarcasm off:

We don't have any control over the airlines seats, other than refusing to fly or go to an airline with more comfortable seating. We DO have control over what and how much we eat.

No smoking or stinking although I do partake in drinking a little. Anything else I can help with?

Edited by texasskibum

Related story

First of all, let me applaud the fact that you mention in your second post that you've something like 65 lbs. so far. However, this first post really struck me. In my humble opinion, everything in here is so much what is wrong with society as a whole these days. Everything mentioned is blaming someone else instead of taking personal responsibility. A while back I saw a girl at work I hadn't seen in a long time. She had lost a lot of weight. I told her she looked great and how did she lose it. Her reply was, "I stopped putting so much food in my mouth". We can blame everyone else on the planet, but the amount and type of food you put in your mouth is raised by your own hands.

I agree that there is a huge problem with processed foods these days, but there is so much nutritional information out there nowadays, if you take any time at all, you can quickly determine 1. what your food intake should be daily 2. what to eat or 3. how much of it.

By the way, I say all this from experience. I have never been extremely obese, but I have been 40 lbs overweight and tried running, walking, diets, etc. to take it off. Only eating right helped take it off. When I finally sat down and started to calculate the calories each of the things I was eating, I was amazed. For instance, I thought most Thai food would be fairly low calorie. Nope. Stuff with Coconut milk has a ton of calories. That doesn't mean you can't eat it, but you have to eat less and it restricts what else you can have during the day.

Until you determine how many calories you SHOULD eat each day compared to how many you are eating each day, you won't lose what you need and keep it off.

Thanks for the compliment. Just to clarify, I accept full responsibility for my actions, I wasn't trying to put the blame anywhere else. The point I was trying to make is that while companies out there might be trying to sell you something under the guise of improving your health, their main goal is to separate your money from you. If their particular product or service happens to help, well that is nice, but I don't think that they really care so long as you keep buying something from them, but obviously if things worked so well there wouldn't be more and more fat people out there by the day. I'll let the results speak for themselves. Many folks out there buy into this and can't seem to understand why nothing really works, call it advertising influence or plain stupidity, the bottom line is that nobody is trying to do them any favors whether they realize it or not. The shame is that many people don't realize it.

However, I do think that your concept of limiting caloric intake is a bit over simplified. A calorie is nothing more that a unit of heat measurement that a particular food (or any other substance) give off when you burn it. Everything that burns has a caloric value, even your turds! Since people don't have a pure oxygen burning oven in their stomachs, I don't think it is a very accurate way to measure what your body is actually retaining from the food you consume. What is more important than the caloric value of the food you eat is what your body does with it. You can eat 10000 calories but if you crap it all out what difference does it make? Certain substances, like sugar and carbohydrates, if not consumed by the body metabolic processes within a short amount of time are stored away as triglycerides (better known as fat) for consumption later on, think of a triglyceride as a zip file for sugars.

Now I'm not going to say that some people don't just stuff their face and get fat, yeah I'm sure this does happen. But I think there are often more factors at play. If someone has a metabolic issue (such as hypothyroidism) it might be very difficult for them to lose weight just by limiting caloric intake, they are literally working against themselves.

You'd be surprised how many doctors I have encountered that cannot even properly diagnose a thyroid disorder, don't order the correct tests, are using dated information, or don't even have complete understanding what the different thyroid hormones are! We are taught to believe from childhood that "the doctor is always right" but the more I learn about their field the more I'm beginning to realize that many of them are just incompetent boobs.

If you are fat, have a thyroid problem and have a doctor like this telling you that everything is fine, you are screwed, but how would most folks know?

Yeah I know, it's your responsibility to research these things and take charge of your life. I agree with that, but you'd like to think that more people would be trying to help each other out rather than using bullshit and misinformation to shake people down for their cash. Shame on me for being so idealistic.

"I want to take you into that bedroom, lock the door, throw you on the bed, take off your clothes with my teeth and give you a go-round like you've never had."

Herman "Duck" Phillips

Good constructive clarification. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you stated.

As fat people wight more they should pay an increased air fair as ther plane will require more fuel to reach its destination.

Skinny people like me should recieve a discount

I always think it's crazy that airlines restrict you to a baggage weight without taking into account your weight. You might have a 40kg thai girl with a 21kg suitcase who has to pay excess baggage but a 150kg fatty with a 20kg suitcase who doesn't.

I always think it's crazy that airlines restrict you to a baggage weight without taking into account your weight. You might have a 40kg thai girl with a 21kg suitcase who has to pay excess baggage but a 150kg fatty with a 20kg suitcase who doesn't.

Im am a big ole Fat Texan...uh...Y'all :GoldenSmile1: ...

Anyhow, not rocking the big 150kg but I am a big boy for my height...I always try and buy an isle seat simply to have more room and just as much because I want to be as courteous as I can to the people who will be traveling next to me. I do not think it would be unfair for somebody who weighs in at a certain point having to kick in more for their seat based on fuel consumption. That does not really work for all fat people though because you do not take into account their height in that scenario. Maybe its if you just dont like being around people you deem to be fat and they should have to pay more.

If you dont want to be crowded by overweight people and you are paying economy...then either the airlines should have a place to put the cheap skinny people on the plane or you should spring for more room in first class. :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by Looter

Southwest Airlines here in the US has, what in my opinion, is a somewhat good model regarding the larger people.

They don't charge the person for an extra seat unless the flight is full and they can't sell the seat next to them since they would take up too much room. The only flaw/problem with this is how you set that standard and getting the ticket agents and flight attendants to enforce it. I'm sure they have some sort of rule, but in my mind, if any part of them rolls over or under the armrest, then they need two seats.

In some cases, I'm sure they don't want to have to deal with the big fat bitch screaming at them saying, "Are you saying I'm fat!?" On the other hand, I think there are just as many that would take joy in pointing it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you would consider me a "big, fat American", but I weigh 265#, am 6'6" tall, have a 36" waist and 48" chest. I eat healthy and work out regularly. I would love to buy a business or 1st class seat every time I fly, but frankly, I choose to travel more often, so I fly coach unless upgraded. When some inconsiderate dolt reclines (slams) their seat back into my knees, I don't demand additional compensation from the airlines. I ignore the drunken a$$holes on flights when they get too noisy and obnoxious, and do not demand that they compensate me for disturbing my calm. I do try to book an aisle seat so that I can lean a little into the aisle, as my shoulders are generally wider than the seat back. If someone tried to have me pay more due to my genetics, that individual would face a descrimination lawsuit, and frankly, I would probably win. However, the fact is, I am not a confrontational kind of guy, so I try to make myself as small as possible in airplanes and gut out the discomfort till my flight ends. I did get irritated reading some of the comments by the so called skinny or petite posters on this thread. Frankly, I wish I could sit next to one of them and "intrude on their space".

As fat people wight more they should pay an increased air fair as ther plane will require more fuel to reach its destination.

Skinny people like me should recieve a discount

What next,,,should we make stupid people pay more because society needs to look after them..

That is not fair,,,,you can't help being stupid any more than I can help being overweight

:ThumbDown1:

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

I don't know if you would consider me a "big, fat American", but I weigh 265#, am 6'6" tall, have a 36" waist and 48" chest. I eat healthy and work out regularly. I would love to buy a business or 1st class seat every time I fly, but frankly, I choose to travel more often, so I fly coach unless upgraded. When some inconsiderate dolt reclines (slams) their seat back into my knees, I don't demand additional compensation from the airlines. I ignore the drunken a$$holes on flights when they get too noisy and obnoxious, and do not demand that they compensate me for disturbing my calm. I do try to book an aisle seat so that I can lean a little into the aisle, as my shoulders are generally wider than the seat back. If someone tried to have me pay more due to my genetics, that individual would face a descrimination lawsuit, and frankly, I would probably win. However, the fact is, I am not a confrontational kind of guy, so I try to make myself as small as possible in airplanes and gut out the discomfort till my flight ends. I did get irritated reading some of the comments by the so called skinny or petite posters on this thread. Frankly, I wish I could sit next to one of them and "intrude on their space".

i would consider myself to be a fat Aussie .. i weigh 295 lb (133 KG) and I have a 50 inch chest and 40 inch waist...When I weigh myself I look up one of those charts that tell me how tall I am. Apparently i'm over 7 foot but the truth is that I only look 5'11". I have to sit on an Aisle seat so I can lean out into the aisle instead of intruding on my fellow passengers space. On long haul flights (Perth is 5 hours from anywhere) I pay extra for Exit row seats to get extra leg room. Still the little people complain,,,I don't step on them in the street, I watch out for them in crowded places and I control the urge to snap them like twigs. I just wonder if we should simply give in to our base urges and put them in their place... :Stupid1: :Clap8:

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

What next,,,should we make stupid people pay more because society needs to look after them..

That is not fair,,,,you can't help being stupid any more than I can help being overweight

:ThumbDown1:

I only added this comment to see who would bite - I'm surprised you are the first.

Certain substances, like sugar and carbohydrates, if not consumed by the body metabolic processes within a short amount of time are stored away as triglycerides (better known as fat) for consumption later on, think of a triglyceride as a zip file for sugars.

As with everything it’s slightly more complex than that.

White/table sugar (sucrose) is a 1:1 mixture of glucose and fructose. As soon as you consume sugar it’s split into glucose and fructose in the body. Any cell in the body can burn glucose to produce energy. Without glucose you would be dead. Excess glucose, after it’s messed up your insulin levels and response, ends up being stored as harmless glycogen in the liver. Fructose is a far nastier beast and can be best described as toxic. It can’t be burnt by any cell and can’t be stored. It’s all converted to uric acid (causes gout and hypertension) and fat by the liver as well as a whole load of other nasty side effects. So only half of sugar is deadly.

High fructose corn syrup, HFCS 55 (mostly used in soft drinks) is approximately 55% fructose and 42% glucose, so you get more of the bad half and less of the good half. The best way to consume sugar is with fiber which moderates the release and effects of the fructose. The killer is that fast food is fiber light as it increases cooking time.

If you want to know more it’s well worth watching this really excellent video: Sugar the bitter truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM.

It also explains why Coca Cola modified the recipe to increase the amount of caffeine and salt (both to make you thirstier) and added more sugar to hide the taste of the salt (10:50+).

Fast food is only part of the problem, sugary drinks seem to be as bad or worse and that’s before you consider the harmful effects of phosphoric acid. I’ve noticed that a lot of overweight people at work seem to sip them all day rather than tea or coffee.

Edited by bungee

I am an overweight person. I would venture to say that I take up some of the seat next to me. I'm not so big that I can't let the armrest down and allow the person next to me to enjoy there space. The problem is that I am also tall. Airplanes have so little space in them now. Especially carriers like United that have the economy plus sections where the make the economy section so uncomfortable that you almost have to upgrade. What the airlines should do is reserve one or two seats on a plan that are large and have a little extra legroom.

You skinny people should NOT be allowed to sit there if there is a disgusting obese person that needs the seat. The price should not be increased for these seats or if it is it should be a minimal extra charge. Asking someone to pay $1000 for a first class ticket because they are overweight on a flight where everybody else is paying $200 is ridiculous. Further more it's not going to happen. Asking us to pay for an extra seat is just as ridiculous. How much should you pay for the extra seat? Two people sitting next to each other on a plane can have to completely different fares. How do you come up with a fare for the second seat.

I think taking one seat out of a row and putting in two larger seats is an acceptable compromise.

The sizes of planes these days is ridiculous. It seems like the legroom in business class is what coach was like 10-15 years ago. The extra charge for premium seats thing is a huge rip off too.

On my last trip to Thailand I flew Delta. I'm not usually a Delta passenger because I live in Phoenix and it is a US Airways Hub. I do have to say that the flight for me was handled the best I have ever seen. I was sitting in the waiting area and one of the gate agents came up and told me they had to move my seat because of a handicapped person. They did this and when I boarded the plane I found that there was no one sitting next to me and they also put a seat belt extension in the pocket so I wouldn't have to ask for one. That to me is service.

I have to admit some airplanes I don't need an extension, but others I do.