IGNORED

Thailand seeks Quality tourists

PepeLePew

I'm getting better at these headlines. :Evil_Laugh:

I'll start applying for for a real newspaper job soon. As you'll soon find out Cheap Charlies haven't been told anything. All are welcome in LOS but please everyone, spend a bit more!

http://www.nationmul...t-30149933.html

Focus on quality, not quantity, urges Abhisit

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has urged the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and the private sector to focus on "quality tourists", though operators are calling on the government to improve the country's stability to raise tourist confidence.

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

Published on March 3, 2011

30149933-01.jpg

(In photo: Mayomburi, a 5-star boutique hotel, is waiting for more wealthy tourists. It is located on Khao San Road, the haven of backpackers.)

Abhisit urged all parties in the tourism business to focus on the quality of tourists, rather than aim for high numbers.

The industry is a key sector that will help drive the economy, he said, adding that it accounted for 7 per cent of gross domestic product last year.

Last year Thailand received 15.8 million international tourists, generating income of Bt585 million, he said.

"It was a record number of tourist arrivals, despite the country facing political problems and other negative factors over the past two years," he said.

Abhisit said the tourism sector grew 7.5 per cent, while revenue was up 11 per cent.

"If we can maintain this growth, the country will have twice as many visitors within the next 10 years."

However, tourist spending per head is decreasing. Therefore, the prime minister urged all relevant organisations to focus on quality visitors, as they would bring in more income.

Suraphon Svetasreni, the governor of the TAT, said the authority had been working with operators to seek new markets and maintain key markets such as Europe, Japan, South Korea and Australia.

He said it would approach new markets such as the Middle East, East Europe, Latin America and the two emerging markets of India and China.

Suraphon said the TAT would lure new visitors by launching the "Amazing Stopover" programme to attract passengers passing through Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport to stay on in the country.

The TAT will also hold roadshows in target counties such as Indonesia and even head to Africa and Russia.

However, the domestic political unrest and conflict between Thailand and Cambodia have disturbed tourism, he said.

Some governments, such as those of Australia and Taiwan, have issued travel advisories telling their citizens to avoid coming to Thailand.

To restore tourist confidence, the TAT has issued reassurances in order to maintain these two markets.

In Thailand, the TAT will encourage local people to travel to other regions all year round.

"The TAT will try to increase domestic tourism in terms of both numbers of visitors and spending," said Suraphon.

The president of the Thai hotels Association (THA), Prakit China-mourphong, said operators wanted the government to improve stability in order to restore tourist confidence. He said key markets such as Japan, the United Kingdom, France and Italy were still very slow.

"Our tourism should grow faster than this," he said. "It is because of our problems. The private sector needs stability."

The THA predicts hotel operators will raise average room rates by 3-5 per cent this year as many hotels have been unable to do so over the past few years due to the global economic crisis and internal problems in the Kingdom.

Last year, most hotels faced a tough economic situation that forced them to lower charges.

Edited by Pepe Le Pew

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I was worried for a bit there. Apparently your are defined as a quality tourist if you spend lots of money. Nothing to do with your behaviour or your moral standards!

These are the 2 most interesting statements for me.

"If we can maintain this growth, the country will have twice as many visitors within the next 10 years."

Twice as many visitors in 10 years? Seems like a lot.

Although according to figures tourism is up, from speaking to friends and reading this forum it would appear high season gets less and less busy each year. I only go in low season but I can report similar unscientific findings.

However, tourist spending per head is decreasing. Therefore, the prime minister urged all relevant organisations to focus on quality visitors, as they would bring in more income.

Now this one doesn't suprise me. I was looking through my old BK bank book the other day. In 2008 I transfered £4000 and got 264,970THB. To get 264,970THB today I'd need to transfer £5,407 ouch! One of the reasons I elected to cancel my Jan trip. Although I appreciate the rates are more to do with the weakening of western countries currencies the Thai baht is very strong and a weakening would certainly help. From the tone of the statements though I suspect that is not a likely option.

I don't know. I'm not a great business man or economist but I wonder who makes more cash, Bic or Mont Blanc?

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Oh yes I nearly forgot. Whose smart idea was it to put a 5star boutique hotel on the Khao san? Will this idea fly? Similar is said of the new Pattaya developements but there seems to be a general trend of gentrification in all the main tourist areas. For me variety is key. Getting rid of all the cheap places is short sighted.

RULES

1NQq.gif

Although according to figures tourism is up, from speaking to friends and reading this forum it would appear high season gets less and less busy each year.

"Last year, the number of American tourists dropped by 12 per cent from 2009 to 600,000 because of the economic slowdown. The drop in tourists from that market is speculated to continue this year." The Nation 18 Feb 2011 quoting Tourism Authority of Thailand.

I guess the same proportionate drop also applied to West European visitors: it's certainly been observable that there are fewer US/Euros about the place these days, mirrored by an increase in Indian, Chinese and Russian group/family tourists, most of whom don't do 'naughty' tourism or spend that much while here.

I totally agree with the PMs advise.

Since the financial crises, TAT ‘s main focus is on mass markets, which produce quite high numbers of arrivals.

Of course, this is great for the stats, but the actual spending power per head is lower than average.

Mass markets are mainly based on group tours, which means that a few giant tour operators decide about where, when and who. Most group tourists haven’t got any option of choosing their preferred hotel, restaurant, day trip, shopping, etc.

They buy a package based “take it or leave it”.

In contrast to these mass markets, most tour operators serving the mature travel markets from Europe or the US, offer a great choice of accommodation based on bed & breakfast, and mainly to FITs (foreign individual tourist).

Their clients have got the chance to spend higher amounts on accommodation, food & beverages, shopping, tours, etc.

No wonder that the average spending per person from these markets is far higher than from most mass markets.

This concept benefits also local business, who can sell their services to the individual traveler without being pressured by a few tour giant operators.

Knowing TAT, I fear that they will choose the easy way and still go for mass.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

"Last year, the number of American tourists dropped by 12 per cent from 2009 to 600,000 because of the economic slowdown. The drop in tourists from that market is speculated to continue this year." The Nation 18 Feb 2011 quoting Tourism Authority of Thailand.

I guess the same proportionate drop also applied to West European visitors: it's certainly been observable that there are fewer US/Euros about the place these days, mirrored by an increase in Indian, Chinese and Russian group/family tourists, most of whom don't do 'naughty' tourism or spend that much while here.

TAT’s published arrival figures are not always accurate (nicely said), when it comes down to tourist business.

They include many business travels and even every single visa run.

You could notice that when the financial crises kicked in. As a result many Japanese companies reduced their business activities in Thailand significantly, which was immediately mirrored by a major drop in Japanese arrivals, especially to BKK and the Eastern Seaboard.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

As per previous threads, the demographic does seem to be changing.

Here we are in Low Season (I think) and certainly the beer bars (even in New Plaza) and some GoGos are struggling, but there's definitely no shortage of tourists walking the streets.

They might not be the ones Abhisit is after, but as Mr Pew has explained before, they may be just the first wave. :Think1:

My last trip was a year ago and the previous December. I have to say that my observations was a steep drop in the number of tourist on teh ground. Of course that was during the little red shirt party. The "family" is more likely to stay at somewaht better facilities than some mongers are likely to find acceptable. However one might question who spends more money on a daily basis: the family trying to stretch their budget or the two week millionair.

............. The "family" is more likely to stay at somewaht better facilities than some mongers are likely to find acceptable. However one might question who spends more money on a daily basis: the family trying to stretch their budget or the two week millionair.

The families can get some amazing all-in deals, staying at Dusit Thani et al for peanuts.

A lot of what you spend is unfortunately invisible to the Thai Taxman. :Think1:

A lot of what you spend is unfortunately invisible to the Thai Taxman.

Wish it was invisible to mine ... I would have more to spend.

Wish it was invisible to mine ... I would have more to spend.

As long as it stays invisible from the wife eh? :Circle_Sharks::GoldenSmile1:

I totally agree with the PMs advise.

Since the financial crises, TAT ‘s main focus is on mass markets, which produce quite high numbers of arrivals.

Of course, this is great for the stats, but the actual spending power per head is lower than average.

Knowing TAT, I fear that they will choose the easy way and still go for mass.

Some interesting comments from everyone.

Although in essence the PMs advice to go for the high spending tourist is not wrong to do so at the expense of the mass industry would be ill advised. Thailand is a large country and has plenty of space for all.

In contrast with the Seychelles for instance, where they actively discourage the backpacker tourist and try to fix minimum hotel rates and standards at a very high level. There is only a certain amount of tourism the Seychelles can comfortably cope with every year. It makes sense to limit this via price. 1000 tourists spending $500+ a day is obviously better than 150 spending $500, 150 spending $300 etc etc. Thailand is well under limit and according to the article will double tourist numbers soon. Although it would be nice to have high rollers only it is unlikely.

Mass markets are mainly based on group tours, which means that a few giant tour operators decide about where, when and who. Most group tourists haven’t got any option of choosing their preferred hotel, restaurant, day trip, shopping, etc.

They buy a package based “take it or leave it”.

In contrast most tour operators serving the mature travel markets from Europe or the US, offer a great choice of accommodation based on bed & breakfast, and mainly to FITs (foreign individual tourist).

Their clients have got the chance to spend higher amounts on accommodation, food & beverages, shopping, tours, etc.

No wonder that the average spending per person from these markets is far higher than from most mass markets.

This concept benefits also local business, who can sell their services to the individual traveler without being pressured by a few tour giant operators.

Where the average cheap charlie tourist (for want of a better description) spends cash is also not that different to a high spender. Charlie may well be put in a 2 star hotel and bussed around to various places but Mr + Mrs Moneybags are similarly shepherded. In fact maybe more so as it is often the case that the more cash you have the more afraid of adventure you are. My first visit to LOS was in a 5* resort in Phuket and to be honest apart from the nationality of the staff it could have been anywhere in the world. Most people simply hung around the pool and the beach, eating at the various bars and restaurants. There was no need to venture out. They even brought a 'local Thai market' to the resort 2 days a week! My trip was a gift. My own demographic is much more 'cheap package tour' yet I was one of few people who ventured out and found Patong and spread my holiday cash around. Thailand is full of such over priced luxury places and the rich who stay there tend to stay in there the whole trip

It is basic economics and is true in pretty much every industry. Who makes more cash? Pagani or Renault, Dom Perignon or Coca Cola, Gordon Ramsey or Ronald Macdonald. Mass market is where the big bucks are found and if you have the capacity to do so, fill it. Of course still make and sell your high end ultra expensive 'cream' products but know that your bread and butter is as many 'bums on seats' as you can.

They might not be the ones Abhisit is after, but as Mr Pew has explained before, they may be just the first wave. :Think1:

Mark my words Mr Edge. In 12 - 15 years time all those high end new hotels will be half full of Indian and Chinese guests :GrinNod1:. I'll bet you a beer on it. Of course due to inflation it will probably be a 1000THB beer!

RULES

1NQq.gif

Thailand may be seeking quality tourists, and this tourist is always seeking quality in Thailand, but we all know that these things just won't happen. mai pen rai.

single-mum.jpg

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Good_Post.gif Maybe someone has to explain the prime minister that it is us who keep things going on in his country and supporting rural Thailand with direct sponsoring to locals!

I have read and seen a lot on the influences of mass tourism and family touyrism in thailand, and if you ask most locals they prefer mongerers as we are no cheap charlies! Most of these so called group tourist don't spend up to 10K a night, they prefer to walk 6 times up and down Walking Street with 1 bottle beer out of 7eleven all night and go to the hotel to sleep with their wifes!

So who are the "quality" ( read big spending) tourists?????

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

“Last year Thailand received 15.8 million international tourists, generating income of Bt585 million, he said.”

That equals THB 37 per tourist.

Must be from all those “hi-end” Russian 7ELEVEN customers.

As long as it stays invisible from the wife eh? :Circle_Sharks::GoldenSmile1:

No wife, no ex.

The few women I have met that I would consider marrying would not consider marrying me.

I can not fault them for that.

They were demonstrating the qualities that made them worth considering: their wisdom and good taste.

Edited by lostagain

So, during the one of the worst economic meltdowns, the PM is complaining that less money is coming from each tourist!!!

He should be congratulating himself on getting the total number of tourists up.

I would really like to see his job description.

“Last year Thailand received 15.8 million international tourists, generating income of Bt585 million, he said.”

That equals THB 37 per tourist.

Must be from all those “hi-end” Russian 7ELEVEN customers.

Probably a glitch on the Nation , and should be read as billion bahts (ie : > 37000 B/tourist).

Nevertheless in other worlds: a single retired expat spending here his yearly minimal income of 800000 Bt/year is equivalent to more than 21 tourists.

Aren't they of good enough "quality", and deserve sometimes a better treatment ?

Probably a glitch on the Nation , and should be read as billion bahts (ie : > 37000 B/tourist).

Nevertheless in other worlds: a single retired expat spending here his yearly minimal income of 800000 Bt/year is equivalent to more than 21 tourists.

Aren't they of good enough "quality", and deserve sometimes a better treatment ?

Being a retiree myself, I could not agree more.

So, during the one of the worst economic meltdowns, the PM is complaining that less money is coming from each tourist!!!

He should be congratulating himself on getting the total number of tourists up.

I would really like to see his job description.

His job description ?!

My Thai wife says he has never had a serious job in his life (which BTW also applies to the red baroness Ashton) and evaded his military service, albeit hiding in barracks in his later life.

Although in essence the PMs advice to go for the high spending tourist is not wrong to do so at the expense of the mass industry would be ill advised. Thailand is a large country and has plenty of space for all.

I completely agree. Thailand is a big enough country to cater for all and the numbers are needed in order to fill planes and feed different sectors of the economy.

Spain is a great example of mass tourism sitting comfortably alongside luxury resorts and top end restaurants. At the end of the day it all moves money and generates income.

Tourist spending is down throughout the World so I do not think that the PM should panic in that respect. IMO his first priority should be to reassure potential visitors as to the safety of visiting Thailand. The Country is well located to attract new tourism the developing Asian and Russian nations so second priority should be to look at what those customers want out of a holiday.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม