IGNORED

Passive Cooling Construction?

oceanrover

Anyone have any resources or experience in designing and construction Passively cooled houses? I know that most of the passive cooling options are for drying climates, but there must be some solid designs for humid locations. I am thinking of going with a more traditional outback design with huge porches all the way around to keep the sun off the exterior walls a very steep high roof line with venting to act like a thermal chimney and windows in the exterior walls close to the ground to draw in cool air. Any links to recommended design sites, etc will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

<EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2.swf?title=Wheels%20Up!!!&count=down&time=1305932400000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xcccccc&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0xcccccc&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x99ccff&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x333333&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

Couldn't resist having a quick Googlebiggrin.gif. Quite a lot of info' on the Internet, here's an Aussie Gov't site on passive solar design for starters, might give you some ideas to play with HERE.

Actually quite a good idea to think along these lines, I'll be bearing passive design in mind for the future.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Thanks Perthie,

I have devoured that site already. It is a wealth of information as well. I know that there are ex-pats from all over the world on here so they all must have been exposed to different designs in different tropical locations. Thanks for the link though as I did not really expect any interest at all.

OR

<EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2.swf?title=Wheels%20Up!!!&count=down&time=1305932400000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xcccccc&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0xcccccc&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x99ccff&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x333333&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

Thanks Perthie,

I have devoured that site already. It is a wealth of information as well. I know that there are ex-pats from all over the world on here so they all must have been exposed to different designs in different tropical locations. Thanks for the link though as I did not really expect any interest at all.

OR

I’ve read quite a few forums on passive but never saved the info as most all posters opted for very expensive technical rebuilds. Your four sided porch idea with a roof adjustment is exactly what I’ve been thinking all along but until last week I had thought it just too simple to workout.

I’m thinking of “trying” to make an existing concrete Thai house livable without a large outlay of money. I think with labor and machine rental cost so low a very nicely done grade around the house and the addition of the roofed decks or porches all the way around would do wonders on the cheap for temp and add great living/cooking space with a few motion lights adding a small sense of security to province livin’ after dark.

Please keep us posted, I’d like to know your roof ideas, and if your thinking about a modest house or are you dealing with multiple levels/angles? From your first post seems you intend to keep it simple, any updates would be great, thanks!

• 4 months later...

I know my dad is planning to build a house soon and have tried to get his eyes open about this. From what I have seen the best plan would be to dig out a hole under the house and make a moist stone-chest kind of passive cooler, unless the ground is so wet the hole will fill up with water by itself. But a pump should sort that out, at least its something to look into I think :)

Another plan would be to put up solarpower to run ACs, not exactly passive but the sun shines so often there that I should be economically beneficial. And even though they do not insulate houses in thailand I would do that, keep the heat outside and the cooled air inside.

One individuals freedom ends where another individuals freedom begins.

• 3 years later...

Look at Garbage Warrior doc, guy was a major pioneer in Earthshihps, built using rammed earth tire walls, etc. Great constant temp even in desert. One he did in Indonesia after the tidal wave had a 10,000 litre  water tank UNDER the house and ventilating air off it into the home. Personally I think a white metal roof over the original roof, maybe 4 inch space between, then venting that would really kill the heat gain in the house. I've had the idea for a wrap around, wide porch for some time now. And a bedroom in the center of the house with blown in urethane foam to make it a virtual ice chest. Friend did that between his roof rafters and it was STILL cool the next day when I came back to work on it. Brick walls. This is in the Gulf coast South USA. Very similar temps to Thailand. At least for around 4 or 5 months of the year.

• 1 year later...

I have been researching this topic for a while now. I agree with most of what you say. The urethane foam is a genius idea. It's the first time I have heard that. I will look into it more thoroughly.

One thing I will add. A water tank may lead to an infestation of mosquitoes. I'll look more closely at the design.

• 3 weeks later...

The last house we build had double cavity insulation block walls and double glazed upvc windows also we added loft insulation lagging .

Cool man .

http://www.alanthebuilder.com/a129.html

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Archived