IGNORED

15 Farang arrested in Pattaya

PepeLePew

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2011/02/23/call-centre-gang-apprehended/

Call Centre Gang Apprehended

238.jpg

Tourist police raided the scam call centre office that was running over an internet shop by a European gang who used internet overseas calling to defraud the victims abroad. Approximately 10 million baht was discovered having been transferred to the gang’s accounts.

Pattaya, 23rd February 2011 [PDN] At 1.00 am police Major Arun Phromphan Pattaya Tourist Police Inspector, together with Major Atthaphon Saenjai, Tourist Police Officer, led a taskforce holding the Pattaya Provincial Court’s arrest warrant number 129/2554, signed on 22nd February, to raid “Viking Internet”, 358/22, Viking hotel, Soi South Pattaya 14, South Pattaya Road, Nongprue, Banglamung. The investigation disclosed that the internet shop was the site from which its operators used telephones via internet in order to defraud victims abroad.

pdn3132.jpgpdn4126.jpg

At the scene, they found 2 large adjoining rooms, which had been modified from the hotel’s meeting hall being used as the office. A lot of computers were found to be installed inside with seven Europeans sitting in front of them calling online. All European suspects were arrested and evidence was impounded including 18 computers with 17 LCD screens, 1 printer, some archives and notebooks as well as written lists of massive telephone numbers.

Under interrogation it was established that the suspects were four Norwegians, Mr.Espen Forberg (41), Mr.Sebastian Gjertsen (21), Mr.Martin Gisvold Garathun (21), Mrs.Ida Marie Juhl Falchenberg (20), the other 3 being Swedish, Mr.Ulf Carl Johan Hellbacken (36), Mr.Anders Erik Engzell (30) and Mr.Tommy Viktor Soderlund (26). They were charged with doing business in the kingdom without work permits, which all deny.

Police Major Phromphan revealed that the officer had noticed that there were 15 foreign members in the call centre gang who were living at various condominiums in Pattaya. Over last 6 months, Thai people were hired to set up a company called “Global Telemarketing Ltd.” as required to open an internet shop from Banglamung district. Its name was “Viking Internet”, situated in the Viking hotel.

pdn599.jpgpdn672.jpg

Then it opened the office from where it started calling overseas via internet VOIP (Voice over internet protocol) and using government telephone numbers to cheat victims in Norway and Sweden. Mostly, it would be pretended that the victims would get a job but needed firstly to pay an agent’s commission. Sometimes, the fraudsters would deceive victims into buying some products. After moneyhad been transferred in, the account would be closed immediately. It was expected that more than hundred people have been cheated out of about 10 million baht.

Subsequently the officer referred all suspects with evidence to Lt. Gen. Phonphan Chayaphong, Central Investigation Bureau Commissioner and Maj. Gen. Adit Ngamjitsuksri, Tourism Police Commissioner, for remand pending further enquiries.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Thanks for this. Amazing what some people do to hurt/defraud others. A good few years in the Bangkok Hilton would give these scumbags time to really evaluate their lives and actions.

just another boiler room, plenty about, if it seems to good to be true it normally is!

the victims would get a job but needed firstly to pay an agent’s commission

This should have ring a bell to most victims!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

I actually met a couple of those swedish guys last year at I-bar, tried to recruit me but I passed... :D

Interesting username

PS: please send bank details so i can send you money.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

LOL...only 10 million baht...why the F would anyone commit a crime and/or put their freedom in jeopardy for such a paltry sum?

Based on what Ive read on this board, that would barely cover some member's bar tab for a good holiday if you divide it by the number arrested.

Puzzled, amused and saddened, Alex

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

I love reading those news sites. They never get the same story from one to the next, and usually the story makes no sense.

Just found this: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Police-officers-get-death-over-drugs-30149361.html

Police Officers get Death over drugs.

If you run the numbers real quick, it works out to 75,000 Bt per pill.

Somebody should get death all right.....

Funny how they manage to stop scams when farengs are involved...

It's a shame how people are easily scammed when presented with a "get rich quick" scheme.

Luckily, I don't have to worry about that anymore!

I just got an Email from South Africa and some rich relative I never met left me all their millions!

I just have to send them my bank account number and they will transfer the money.

Sweeeeet!

Shared the same thoughts.

When a Russian hooker works on the streets of Pattaya it's called illegal prostitution, while a Thai BG entertains foreign tourists.

Edited by Benny10

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

Hi tech scams get caught & solved that include farengs !

But the jetski scams been running for years & doesnt look like getting solved

WTF

December 17 2011 ....... The day Pattaya will be invaded by THE_GUN

I love reading those news sites. They never get the same story from one to the next, and usually the story makes no sense.

Just found this: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Police-officers-get-death-over-drugs-30149361.html

Police Officers get Death over drugs.

If you run the numbers real quick, it works out to 75,000 Bt per pill.

Somebody should get death all right.....

They were meant to write 11.25 million, opposed to billion, which would make it 75 baht a pill

They were meant to write 11.25 million, opposed to billion, which would make it 75 baht a pill

Phew! Can you imagine what 11.25 Billion baht in cash looks like!

RULES

1NQq.gif

It's a shame how people are easily scammed when presented with a "get rich quick" scheme.

Luckily, I don't have to worry about that anymore!

I just got an Email from South Africa and some rich relative I never met left me all their millions!

I just have to send them my bank account number and they will transfer the money.

Sweeeeet!

I get mails every day that I won millions.

Police got them now, but these guys have done scams in Sweden for a quite long time. Before they called up companys and offerd them a service that would stop all telemarketers from calling them. Is at least 2 other groups of swedes doing the same thing in Pattaya.

Studying in Patts until may 2010

So did they get arrested because the were scamming people out of money or because they were operating without any work permits? I'll bet that it's the latter; since when do Thais care about white-collar Farang on Farang crime?

I'm guessing that they get chucked out of the country and be back up in operation within a few weeks in some other place with a decent internet connection, doesn't even sound like they will have to repurchase a lot of equipment.

"I want to take you into that bedroom, lock the door, throw you on the bed, take off your clothes with my teeth and give you a go-round like you've never had."

Herman "Duck" Phillips

So did they get arrested because the were scamming people out of money or because they were operating without any work permits?

I wondered the same thing

RULES

1NQq.gif