Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Mantra Restaurant - Really Fine Dining

tequilareef

Hello Guys! Just wanted to give a review to Manta as I thoroughly enjoyed the experience I had there.

Manta has absolutely excellent presentation, high quality ingredients exactly as described in the menu. Very friendly staff and great service. I highly recommend trying the Sushi and the Steak but I would imagine anything you order would be as expected. I went there with 4 other friends and they all loved their food as well. The appetizers are fabulous as well.

If you are looking for a high quality dining experience then definitely give this place a try. Here's their website for those interested - http://www.mantra-pattaya.com/

Here are a few photos:

mantra1.jpg

mantra2.jpg

mantra3.jpg

mantra4.jpg

mantra5.jpg

Edited by tequilareef

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

Hi and your right, I was there at the start of January and certainly its upmarket, the food is excellent in presentation and quality.

Not a place for those on a budget but certainly one to impress the TG, although she may wonder why you are paying more to eat the food, than you are to eat her!

Edited by pipoz4444

I agree the food is excellent but the price is high. I paid around 14.000 THB for two people. That is what you would expect to pay in Michelin star restaurants in Europe, not on beach road pattaya.

I have eaten in some classy Japanese, Hong Kong, Vietnamese and Middle East restaurants for less than US200 a head.

Went to Vietnam 2 years ago, and ate at a restaurant named Zan Zi Bar, near the Sheraton in HCM. It's as good most high quality restaurants in five start hotels in Asia if not better,and for two guys and two girls to eat, both an entre and main course each, and drink piss for three hours and also have a bottle of Nedergurg Shiraz - The whole bill was US$280.

Sorry but Mantra wont last, as it wont get the volume of Clientel that are prepared to pay and repeat visit, on a regular basis, not in Pattaya.

It's a one or two time only, place to go.

Sorry but Mantra wont last, as it wont get the volume of Clientel that are prepared to pay and repeat visit, on a regular basis, not in Pattaya.

It's a one or two time only, place to go.

Mantra won't last?

It's been open for 5 years now

its a great place, been there with my TGF but just for some special occasions,when she saw the bill she thought you can eat a lot of som tams for that money :GoldenSmile1:

• 1 month later...

Mantra won't last?

It's been open for 5 years now

LOL!

i'm keen on visiting here along with bruno's..

will take some photos when i get back.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually the photos of the place don't do it justice! Its much, much more impressive and spectacular in person and the perfect place to impress even a hi-so Pooying. Being a critic... there are two problems I have at Mantra. One is that the seats and way too deep and are wooden backed with a soft cushion, however for this reason you cannot comfortably sit back on the chair (basically - it's impossible). So you end up leaning over the table or sitting up straight like your on one of those fitness balls that were all the rage ten years ago. However, if you are in a party of 4 or more you should be able to book the 'kings table' which seats probably 6-8 and will give you very comfortable and cushy backed booths to sit in. The second issue is the wine pricing. The cheapest drinkable glass is 300 baht++ which means it becomes very expensive. They really should in light of the general economic situation at least offer a decent glass of cheap Australian white or red for 250 baht or less. Other than that, food is generally superb and in my opinion not overprice at all (except for the 'specials').

• 3 weeks later...

Actually the photos of the place don't do it justice! Its much, much more impressive and spectacular in person and the perfect place to impress even a hi-so Pooying. Being a critic... there are two problems I have at Mantra. One is that the seats and way too deep and are wooden backed with a soft cushion, however for this reason you cannot comfortably sit back on the chair (basically - it's impossible). So you end up leaning over the table or sitting up straight like your on one of those fitness balls that were all the rage ten years ago. However, if you are in a party of 4 or more you should be able to book the 'kings table' which seats probably 6-8 and will give you very comfortable and cushy backed booths to sit in. The second issue is the wine pricing. The cheapest drinkable glass is 300 baht++ which means it becomes very expensive. They really should in light of the general economic situation at least offer a decent glass of cheap Australian white or red for 250 baht or less. Other than that, food is generally superb and in my opinion not overprice at all (except for the 'specials').

Wine is extremely expensive in Thailand.

For the rare reasonable wines you can find in Thailand, retail prices are about four times the price you would pay in Europe for the same bottle.

Wine is extremely expensive in Thailand.

For the rare reasonable wines you can find in Thailand, retail prices are about four times the price you would pay in Europe for the same bottle.

You got that right. In the Philippines wine is like 3 times cheaper so is all alcohol. Thai taxes are bitch on alcohol and even cigarettes...

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

You got that right. In the Philippines wine is like 3 times cheaper so is all alcohol. Thai taxes are bitch on alcohol and even cigarettes...

I live in Pattaya now and I have lived in Europe long enough to know what I talk about.

What I find strange is that the price difference appears to be not as steep for spirits, port and sherry as it is for wine and champagne.

• 1 month later...

Meeting some friends from work there tomorrow. The food looks really good!

• 2 months later...

wow looks good,

will try it out, always love good sushi

cheers,

<!--START COUNTER CODE--><EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2-1.swf?title=Pattaya%20%26%20Buriram%20!&count=down&time=1329256800000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xffffff&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0x990000&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x990000&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x000000&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"><br><div style="width: 500px; text-align: center">Generate your own <a href="http://www.webgamedesign.com/countdown.php">flash countdown</a>.</div><!--END COUNTER CODE -->

Patong - May/June 2011 Trip Report

Pattaya - October 2011 - Video TR

Angeles City - December 2011 !!

Pattaya - February 2012

Prague/Amsterdam - June 2012 !

their website says dress code applies .. does that mean no shorts & flip flops?

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in there with a nice pair of shorts on but not the flip flops.

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road

My TGF would go fracking BAT S*IT****** At those prices .....She would tell me "that is more than you condo, my loom and food and ele,h20 for a month.

You ting-tong ?" .............."I go market, cook for you "

Gotta love the LOS :)

Review Dave ?????

Y F Mark

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

Yes this is one of the unusually classier dining venues in Pattaya if not the most. If you have to ask whether flip flops are ok then this place probably isn't for you! I once went with shorts respectably with shoes and was given long trousers to change into in the bathroom before I was allowed into the main dining area. That said I have noticed other diners being permitted in dress shorts but to be sure just wear pants or jeans that's fine just no shorts and definitely no flip flops.

• 3 weeks later...

Dress Code

Mantra is chic, smart and stylish – and that’s how we like our patrons to dress. Gentleman – no shorts, tanktops or sandals please. The Mantra Team reserves the right to refuse entry. This was off the website, this place looks like a classy joint with a good menu.

http://www.mantra-pattaya.com/

• 1 month later...

When in Pattaya I go to Mantra once or twice per week - and 14000 B. is way too much (except you order an expensive bottle of wine). Normally for my wife & me (we both don't drink alcohol) I pay around 4000 - 5000 B. for starter & main (and we don't take the cheapest).

They do have some excellent fois-gras-Sushi, Beijing Duck rolls, beef in a pepper sauce or Lobster in XO sauce... and especially prawns on a celery/apple salad with wasabi-mayonnaise.

The best deal is the "Sunday-Brunch", which is fix approx. 1500 B./person (don't know exactly) and - if you wish - 1150 B. for a free-flow of wine.

MANTRA lasts, it's for the upper clientele, Thai & Expat. And Pattaya isn't just cheap beach road anymore. Many people from Bangkok come down for the weekend, Russians with money, even saw a very famous football manager from Germany in MANTRA. Pattaya is changing - by luck.

Dress code: yes, when you go to a place like MANTRA you don't want to see people in Shorts and tank tops, you want to eat good food in style. 2 years ago they didn't have a dress code and people came in shorts & tank top - but many of the regular customers complained (so did I). Very fast they added the dress code.

But not only the food is very good, also the service, the valet parking...

And they do special events. Next week a 2-star-michelin cook from Germany is flying in, cooking & also giving cooking classes...

I'm very happy to have MANTRA in Pattaya, hope more places like that will come up to give a better food selection.

As many of the posts accurately detail, Mantra is a "top ten" in Pattaya. Out of towners and higeher end Thai will enjoy it. The Bangkok Thai, and local Company outings (read fortune 500 expense account crowd) seem to dominate. It is over priced, especially the wines. Most down to earth Thai Girls will not enjoy it. Many have been once, and don't want to go back. The menu is daunting, very thick, very difficult to navigate through, even for farang. After staring at the menu for 30 minutes they will default to "salmon steak" or order something that when arrives is completely different than what they thought they were ordering. The team service approach is sometimes confused.

They definately have a dress code. Anyone in shorts will be handed baggy white sweat pants to wear over, change in the bar area before entering. I've sat in the bar and enjoyed watching the big spender on the big date be humiliated! I personally get agrivated with the hyperactive service. Change out the glasses, the plates, the wine glasses, etc. way too many times. If you want a romantic conversation, or a business conversation, this is not the place, you will be interupted way too many times. Sit near a large table/group, and forget about hearing anything.

Food is reasonable, portions are good. Get carried away on drinks, over-ordering food, after dinner stuff and you'll drive the bin way over your expectations. It's good, and worth a try, but not a place I go twice a week. For the same money (or less) you can fine dine at Bruno's, Alois, Gian's, Manhattans, India by Nature, The Grill Room (Royal Cliff), Cafe de Amis, Mata Hari, Trattoria Toscana, Casa Pascal and many more. I put Mantra in the "top ten" but not the "top five".

Irg: sorry, but MANTRA is of a different class than BRUNO, MATA HARI, TRATTORIA TOSCANA.....

The food you're getting at BRUNO, MATA HARI etc. is "old-school" European and only for Pattaya of quality. If BRUNO, MATA HARI etc. would serve that quality in Europe nobody would go.

MANTRA is unique - and that's the reason also people in Bangkok know it. The design, the interior is unique, impressive... not cheap European copy as the others named.

When in Pattaya I go to Mantra once or twice per week - and 14000 B. is way too much (except you order an expensive bottle of wine). Normally for my wife & me (we both don't drink alcohol) I pay around 4000 - 5000 B. for starter & main (and we don't take the cheapest).

They do have some excellent fois-gras-Sushi, Beijing Duck rolls, beef in a pepper sauce or Lobster in XO sauce... and especially prawns on a celery/apple salad with wasabi-mayonnaise.

The best deal is the "Sunday-Brunch", which is fix approx. 1500 B./person (don't know exactly) and - if you wish - 1150 B. for a free-flow of wine.

MANTRA lasts, it's for the upper clientele, Thai & Expat. And Pattaya isn't just cheap beach road anymore. Many people from Bangkok come down for the weekend, Russians with money, even saw a very famous football manager from Germany in MANTRA. Pattaya is changing - by luck.

Dress code: yes, when you go to a place like MANTRA you don't want to see people in Shorts and tank tops, you want to eat good food in style. 2 years ago they didn't have a dress code and people came in shorts & tank top - but many of the regular customers complained (so did I). Very fast they added the dress code.

But not only the food is very good, also the service, the valet parking...

And they do special events. Next week a 2-star-michelin cook from Germany is flying in, cooking & also giving cooking classes...

I'm very happy to have MANTRA in Pattaya, hope more places like that will come up to give a better food selection.

i agree Manta is a cut above a lot of the other high end restaurants and the quality service and atmosphere is worth it in my opinion if you don't mind spending the extra money. If you are only eating there you are looking at around $50 USD per person as you said.

Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road