Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Canon S95 video samples

DMustang

I just uploaded several videos to YouTube that I shot over the NYE holidays using my S95.

Most of them (except for the food cart) were shot at night with limited lighting, and I was

quite pleased with how they came out. I am also very pleasantly surprised at how nice the audio

quality is.

One note, I did resize all of the videos down to 360 pixels high using Handbrake, so they are not

at their original sizes. The food cart video was originally shot in 720p, and I believe the rest were

originally 640 by 480.

My YouTube channel with the videos are here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/1DMustang#p/u

Edited by DMustang

Those do look good. Why did you scale them down? So you could upload them faster? To make use of the 720p HD setting in youtube you should upload one1280x720.

I just uploaded several videos to YouTube that I shot over the NYE holidays using my S95.

Most of them (except for the food cart) were shot at night with limited lighting, and I was

quite pleased with how they came out. I am also very pleasantly surprised at how nice the audio

quality is.

One note, I did resize all of the videos down to 360 pixels high using Handbrake, so they are not

at their original sizes. The food cart video was originally shot in 720p, and I believe the rest were

originally 640 by 480.

My YouTube channel with the videos are here:

http://www.youtube.c...r/1DMustang#p/u

Insert link in signature:

| My photo blog of Pattaya & Thailand

Those do look good. Why did you scale them down? So you could upload them faster? To make use of the 720p HD setting in youtube you should upload one1280x720.

I am considering an S95 and would also be interested in seeing a 1280 x 720 video.

The only thing that is holding me off is that it doesn't have optical zoom while recording video.

The s95 is an amazing bit of kit. Even for us amateurs using the "auto" setting for the majority of pics the results are outstanding. I would highly recommend it even with its high price tag.

Yeah, they were scaled for size/uploading speed. The food cart is 450MB at 720p, for example.

Since there seems to be interest in the full rez versions, I'll upload what I can and then update the thread with the links when they're available.

The thing I don't like about Canon point-and-shoots for video is the file size is restricted to 4 gigs, about 15 minutes at 720p.

The thing I don't like about Canon point-and-shoots for video is the file size is restricted to 4 gigs, about 15 minutes at 720p.

When would you want to shoot 15 minutes of continuos video anyway?

Im just asking out of curiosity, since i've heard this argument against Canon cameras before. Personally I love Canon, shooting a 7D myself and have never been remotely close to shooting a 15 min unbroken sequence.

That part is easy enough to fix, you just run CHDK and set the max file to whatever you want.

(CHDK - Canon Hack Development Kit http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK) I don't know if they have

enabled optical zooming on the S95 yet, but they have done it for other Canons. I believe the

reason it wasn't a normal factory option is the camera would record the noise of the lens

adjusting, which wasn't considered acceptable to the Canon designers.

CHDK will let you do all kinds of interesting things with most Canon cameras, assuming that

your particular model is supported.

BTW, the 720p versions of the videos are uploaded. There are two, one a night beach pan, and the other is the food cart.

Edited by DMustang

Dmustang, thanks! That's awesome!

When would you want to shoot 15 minutes of continuos video anyway?

For example a speech or a school play. I'm happy for you that you have no need for longer clips, but for recording what's happening in a situation where you just want to turn the camera on and forget it, the 4 gig limit is very real.

I envy you--I'd like to upgrade from my 40D to the 7D (or maybe the Mark II) at some point. I haven't been shooting much lately though, so it's hard to justify.

The Canon S95 is a wonderful little camera.

If you enjoy taking pictures it's all you really need.

Boy, those food vendors really are hard workers, yes?

David G.

I have recently bought one. Quite impressed. Some great shots. Now I'm hungry.

single-mum.jpg

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Thanks for posting these, night videos come out really well on this.

Yes it's a shame the zoom options are restricted but this really is geared more towards stills. For a decent cannon for video I'd choose the sx210 or now 220. I think it's around 14x optical zoom. But of course you sacriice some image quality for stills so depends on what your priorities are.

Overall though the s95 still looks to be the topdog of point and shoot cameras.

Dmustang, thanks! That's awesome!

For example a speech or a school play. I'm happy for you that you have no need for longer clips, but for recording what's happening in a situation where you just want to turn the camera on and forget it, the 4 gig limit is very real.

I envy you--I'd like to upgrade from my 40D to the 7D (or maybe the Mark II) at some point. I haven't been shooting much lately though, so it's hard to justify.

Yes I can understand your concerns in those situations, but that does raise some other issues like storage (memorycard). And ofcourse handling a file that size if you want to edit it afterwards. This will be a heavy beast requiring computing power and RAM on your editing station.

The 7D is a nice cam, but looking back I'd probably have gone for the 5D MII. Noise levels are way lower, and its full frame. My lenses are already full frame so it would have made sense. Only gripe with 5D is the framerate.... 7D kicks ass in that department.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought one and the quality of the pictures is amazing. Absolutely the best point and shoot out there.

Looks like a very good replacement for my old FUJI F30 which accompanied me for the last five years and performed fantastically at night....

I believe it is a great pre-cursor to a dslr.

single-mum.jpg

I believe it is a great pre-cursor to a dslr.

I had been considering going down the DSLr route, but there would be times when I'd need something pocketable, so this would be a perfect...

I had been considering going down the DSLr route, but there would be times when I'd need something pocketable, so this would be a perfect...

I am shite at taking photos, but I want to learn. This camera has a lot of manual features to help you. I actually bought it on the recommendation of members of this board such as alleycat. LOL.

I am happy with the purchase.

single-mum.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you were/are familiar with film SLRs, and had no issues with hauling 'em around, a DSLR is pretty much gonna be same same.

If you haven't worked with a full SLR setup, the S95 is a really nice way to have something that will carry easily in a pocket,

take really good stills and video on the fully automatic settings, but also allow you to learn how to "drive" a full up DSLR

by playing with and learning how to use all of the manual settings. There are even several levels of automatic handholding

available, so you don't have to jump straight from doing nothing to doing everything.

• 1 year later...