Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Using iPhone in Bkk/Pattaya

tangotango

Will be in BKK/Pattaya, with an iPhone as need to check emails onthego. (Prepaid)

So far heard True mobile is the best company to go with as they offer 3G?

What are the charges?

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks

I was there in October and couldn't get an internet connection on my iPhone 3GS. I asked at a phone store and was told you have to have a calling plan in order for it to be possible, and that it can't be done with a pay as you go SIM card. Don't know if this is correct, but that's what I was told.

You need to jailbreak it first, you can get it done in patts for approx 500 baht.

Have not done it myself yet but was hanging around with a canadian guy on my last trip, he went to tukcom

paid 500 baht they jailbroke it, put in a thai sim and added loads of free apps.

His internet worked fine( tho a bit slower than at home)

Just don't update it to your laptop while in patts or it will wipe off the jailbreak and you'll have to get it done again,

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

I stayed at the Pattaya Bay Resort...have an ATT iPhone4 (not jailbreaked) and had NO PROBLEM using their wifi and getting emails on it...just keep it in "airplane mode" and you will never see a charge from your carrier...have done this in several countries, never a problem.

Hope this helps, Cheers, Alex

My phone is unlocked but I'd rather not jailbreak it. I don't have an ATT account since I'm in Afghanistan and use a Roshan SIM card, so I guess I'm SOL when it comes to getting an interenet connection on my iPhone while in the LOS. When I move there for 6 months though, I'll just purchase a phone plan...will be worth it then.

I have an I phone 3gs from hong kong so it is unlocked from the factory, i use a dtac/happy pay as you go sim. I can get internet anywhere in pattaya but for some reason not in Bangkok. The internet is alot slower than the uk as you cannot get 3G but its fine for checking emails ETC. I dont know how credit it uses but it cant be alot and i could use it even when my credit had run out.

If your phone is locked you will have to jail break it but i have heard from alot of people this can cause alot of problems with the handset depending which program you use to jailbreak it. The main problem i hear is it can make the handset very slow to use.

Hope this helps

Edited by lbfmlover

I was there in October and couldn't get an internet connection on my iPhone 3GS. I asked at a phone store and was told you have to have a calling plan in order for it to be possible, and that it can't be done with a pay as you go SIM card. Don't know if this is correct, but that's what I was told.

Their talking Shit, Dtac/happy pay as you go sim, You can get internet access everywhere in central Pattaya but i couldnt in Bangkok dont know why. My phone is a Hongkong model 3GS so factory unlocked.

Ps if its unlocked you dont need to jailbreak it, only if you want free apps. If its not unlocked you have to jailbreak it to use a thai sim.

Edited by lbfmlover

Their talking Shit, Dtac/happy pay as you go sim, You can get internet access everywhere in central Pattaya but i couldnt in Bangkok dont know why. My phone is a Hongkong model 3GS so factory unlocked.

Ps if its unlocked you dont need to jailbreak it, only if you want free apps. If its not unlocked you have to jailbreak it to use a thai sim.

Thanks for the tip! When I get there (IN ONLY 13 DAYS :GoldenSmile2: ) I will pick up a Dtac SIM card and give it a shot. One good thing about Dtac is I know I'll be able to add credit to the account through my online Kasikorn Bank account.

I picked my phone up in Dubai (factory unlocked), so no issue there.

Anyone know if Thai pre-pay micro-SIMs are available for the iPhone 4 ?

my phone is currently locked with 3. but can called to be unlocked.

i had used One2Go on my previous trip. hopefully it works.

Is there another name for One2GO? not sure if thats the right name.

One2call

One2call

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Was wondering does 'True' offer prepaid services?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Was wondering does 'True' offer prepaid services?

Yes for calls sure dont know about internet, I know when i had a true sim about a year ago i could not get internet.

Alot of the sims only last 30 days or so, I know Dtac/happy last alot longer maybe 6 months not sure. So depending how long ago your last trip was your sim might not work.

The only issue you may have with prepay sim is that if you leave the data feeds on it will burn your credit faster than a BG goes through LDs's with all the 'push' stuff.

Its probably best to use the free wifi thats all over the place for all your email & other apps and just use the sim for calls/sms.

As there is some risk of losing it/getting it stolen I usually leave mine in the safe and use an old regular cell phone when I'm out & about especially at night. If I'm desperate for an email fix i just pop into an internet cafe which are all over the place.

The only issue you may have with prepay sim is that if you leave the data feeds on it will burn your credit faster than a BG goes through LDs's with all the 'push' stuff.

Its probably best to use the free wifi thats all over the place for all your email & other apps and just use the sim for calls/sms.

As there is some risk of losing it/getting it stolen I usually leave mine in the safe and use an old regular cell phone when I'm out & about especially at night. If I'm desperate for an email fix i just pop into an internet cafe which are all over the place.

Good tip about the data feeds...hadn't thought of that. Although, on an iPhone you can simply turn off the wifi, then turn it on once in a while to see if an email pops up.

Good tip about the data feeds...hadn't thought of that. Although, on an iPhone you can simply turn off the wifi, then turn it on once in a while to see if an email pops up.

Don't think wifi burns any credit or will cost you anything so you can probably leave that on, maybe an iphone expert can confirm??

Don't think wifi burns any credit or will cost you anything so you can probably leave that on, maybe an iphone expert can confirm??

No, I don't think leaving the wifi on will effect the cost, but wouldn't that be the easiest way to turn off the data feeds (milking baht from your phone card) for all the various apps loaded on the phone?

I picked up local sim ... GSM (I think) for my unlocked iphone 3. No problems with net connection at all. The only thing missing was the ability to send SMS (picture messages) to my mates back in Aus. Don't seem to have them on the Thai network.

Will be in BKK/Pattaya, with an iPhone as need to check emails onthego. (Prepaid)

So far heard True mobile is the best company to go with as they offer 3G?

What are the charges?

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks

I had the same questions. In my case, I have an old iPhone 3G (non-3GS) that I'm not using.

So I emailed the folks at True, using the email link on their web site. Here is my question, and their answer.

Hopefully it will be helpful.

-Gumby

<Question:

I will be traveling to Thailand in March. I already own an iPhone 3. Can I use it on a prepaid basis -- without a contract? I can have the phone unlocked if that makes a difference. Thank you so much.

<Answer:

We would like to thank you for your interest in our services and apologize for the slow response.

Further to your e-mail, we are able to confirm that you can use your iPhone with our prepaid sim card. If you usually use DATA service, we would recommend "Hi-speed Net Sim" that you can check further information on http://www.truemove.com/en/prepay-hispeed-net-sim.htm

In case of you always make International Calls and SMS, "Inter Sim" promotion is the most reasonable for you, please check it out http://www.truemove.com/en/Inter-SIM-Prepay.rails.

They are available at our True Shops / Truemove Shops and/or our authorized dealers. One of our Truemove Shops can be found at the Concourse A, 2nd Fl., Gate 5 (Arrival Terminal) in the Suvarnabhumi Airport, 24 hours open everyday.

If you would like to enquiry for further information, please do not hesitate to contact us by visiting our website : www.truemove.com or call +66891001331. Thank you for choosing our service. We hope to serve you again in the nearest future.

<end of quote>

I picked up local sim ... GSM (I think) for my unlocked iphone 3. No problems with net connection at all. The only thing missing was the ability to send SMS (picture messages) to my mates back in Aus. Don't seem to have them on the Thai network.

Sounds good! Which company ?

I was using my Iphone 4 last month in LOS and i'm with true when i'm over there and I paid 600bht for unlimted 3g and wifi with true for 1 month. Just make sure your Iphone is unlocked and your ready to go and at the airport they sell sims at the true move shop on the arrivals floor so just pick one up when u arrive.

I was using my Iphone 4 last month in LOS and i'm with true when i'm over there and I paid 600bht for unlimted 3g and wifi with true for 1 month. Just make sure your Iphone is unlocked and your ready to go and at the airport they sell sims at the true move shop on the arrivals floor so just pick one up when u arrive.

Hi, did True provide a micro sim for your iphone4??

Also, were calls on pre-pay pay as you go plan??

Thanks

Hi, did True provide a micro sim for your iphone4??

Also, were calls on pre-pay pay as you go plan??

Thanks

I had my true simcard cut in the UK before I arrived but I did see on the true shop at the aiport that they had a sim cutter ready for use.

Yes all my calls were on the pay as you go plan.