IGNORED

Mr T's--Very Unprofessional Service

sinsinbad

Made arrangements prior to coming for Mr T to pick me up at the airport. I was arriving at 11pm. The driver met me at the airport which was the best part, and from there it went downhill. The driver didn't seem to speak or understand any English. I told him that I was staying at Canterbury Tales Cafe, and he didn't seem to know or understand where that was.

I texted Mr T and told him where I was going and the driver didn't know where it was. A few minutes later, the driver received a call (I assume from Mr T telling him where to do). The driver took us to Walking Street and indicated that Canterbury Tales Cafe was down Walking Street, so, we (my wife and I) got out with our luggage.

We walked up and down Walking Street asking whoever we could (Tourist Police, Bike Taxis, etc.) where Canterbury was, but no one knew. We are getting very tired of walking with our luggage. It is now around 2am. I found an internet cafe and looked up Canterbury. Got the address and after asking several Bike Taxis, found one who thought he knew where it was. Thankfully, he did, and we got there around 2:45 am.

With hindsight, I should have had the address with me, but with Canterbury and Mr T both mentioned on several forums, I just assumed that the driver or Mr T would know where it was. BTW, Canterbury is about 2-3 kilometers from Walking Street.

Nevertheless, it was very unprofessional of Mr T to have us dropped off NO where near Canterbury with our luggage and expect us to find it. This was compounded by the fact that I am a first time visitor not knowing where or how to get around.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.T

• Highlander

• sinsinbad

• praf974

Canterbury is well known to board members, but it isn't exactly well-known like "Marriot" or "Holiday Inn" or other huge chain hotels are. You have to bring the address with you if you want a driver to take you to a niche market guest house on a tiny side soi. The driver should not have dumped you like he did, but you also need to take your share of the blame.

Look on the bright side: you made it... Enjoy the great weather, great food, and maybe the odd session (depending on how open / attentive the wife is) :GoldenSmile1:

i wouldnt say this was a problem with mr t. ive had to direct taxis many times, pattaya is a big place and ive had taxis didnt know where beach road or Walking Street were!! .. if you dont know your way have the address at least .. preferably a printed off map!

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Maybe the driver should have known / been given full instructions as to where to take you however I would have thought it common sense to take the name of the hotel and a contact number with you in case of a problem...

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

I would not say this is the fault of Mr T taxis if you did not know where the hotel was you should have done a little resurch into where is was, if you have booked at a place like cantabury tales the must have spoke to someone here to book it for you or contacted them before your trip so why would you not ask where is is.

i agree with many posters, you cant blame mr t totally for this. canterbury tales is down an obscure soi (chayapoon i believe) and isnt exactly one of the most common guesthouses in pattaya (no disrespect daveo), sure i know exactly where it is but i am not surprised that the taxi driver didnt. surely you being a first timer to patts, you should have had better directions to the place other than just hoping the taxi driver knew where it was. and as for the taxi driver not knowing much english, it is thailand when all said and done lol..not meant as a flame just my opinion. as someone said, at least you made it in the end and i am sure you are making up for your poor start... have a great time in paradise.

Not having your hotel info on you = bad move

Leaving a fare in a random spot = really really bad move.

Both sides made mistakes but it is pretty unprofessional to just abandon a fare.

Canterbury Tales Cafe is very well-known in pattaya-addicts.com/forum not necessarily well-known to a taxi driver.

The address and contact info to the place you stay in is always good to have anywhere in the world. In that way the driver can call up the staff at the hotel and ask for guidance.

If there is one I would be upset at then it would be myself. But only for a second because I would hit the streets and meet the ladies.

Enjoy your stay.

Maybe the driver should have known / been given full instructions as to where to take you however I would have thought it common sense to take the name of the hotel and a contact number with you in case of a problem...

I learned that the hard way a few trips back. I assumed taxi drivers knew all the ins and outs of the hotels. It should be a written rule here on Pattaya Addicts for newbies and veterans alike (if not already) to make sure you have hotel directions printed in both english/thai.

One good thing about booking through Agoda is that when you print out your hotel voucher, the address is printed in both english and thai.

If you book in other ways without this, it's just a matter of finding the hotel name and address in Thai script and carrying it with you before you go on vacation to Thailand. Last trip taxi driver could not find my hotel around Sukhumvit, but thankfully he could read the address and was able to ask a few moto taxi guys where the hotel was.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

It might help if you knew the Soi address that you could tell the taxi driver or even the telephone number of the hotel.

Dave if your reading this you might want to consider a Map of the hotel (with phone numbers, etc) written in Thai, that someone can click on and print out. Should be simple enough fix for your website and great for people who have never been there to show to the driver. Just a suggestion....

Edited by SlickMonkey

ive been caught out as well,just the misprenounciation of words

is enough to confuse a thai eg somthing as simple as saying nanna hotel

they have no idea but say narnar hotel and they know.

was stuck in udon first time there 12 oclock at night for same thing,

i was saying rouysook no fuckin idea, i hour later oh roysuck,not funny at the time.

now ive learnt its much easier to print it out in thai before you go

saves you alot of hassles.definately not taxis fault.

live and learn.

I actually learned the lesson my trip to Pattaya before my last one.

Took a taxi from Bangkok International to Pattaya. I didn't think about it before hand but my hotel voucher only had english on it, hotel was located towards the end of Beach Road (way opposite end of Walking Street). Driver must've circled around that area for like 20 minutes and started yelling at me because he couldn't find it. I tried saying name but since the address and numbers were not in Thai he couldn't find the exact place and didn't know what to ask the guys mulling about. Somehow ended up finding the place, can't remember how but what a pain that was.

In regards to my previous example of the Sukhumvit hotel guy had trouble with, I used the taxi stand at BKK International, and the person at the counter usually asks you where you are going. Showed them the voucher and I assumed she would write that down exactly on the slip she gives the driver but obviously didn't, since the guy seemed to know the general location but not the exact one.

Now pre-vacation plans always print out hotel locations in english/thai.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I must admit, I made the same mistake on my first trip (Not Mr. T's Taxi). I did not have directions to the Royal Orchid hotel and assumed that the driver would know how to get there. Needless to say, it was a very long Taxi trip.

It was a learning experience. Now I always print out directions in Thai.

IMHO, not really a fair post to Mr. T's Taxi. In my case, I took full responsibly for the communication problem and I should have been better prepared. Did you talk to Mr T. about the problem?

Edited by ExpatDave

It would have been a good idea to mention where you were going to stay when you made the reservation. I have used Mr T and never had a problem, but always mentioned in my reservation e mail where I would be staying.

It is only a small hotel how would the taxi driver know it. You should at least have known it's rough location. If you had said Soi Bhoukhau you would have been dropped off within 100 metres.

Not having your hotel info on you = bad move

Leaving a fare in a random spot = really really bad move.

Both sides made mistakes but it is pretty unprofessional to just abandon a fare.

I think that is a fair assessment of this.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Question one, did you tell Mr T the hotel in advance (with booking)?

My experience have been good with him. To Pattaya, BKK and Hua Hin. Picked up on time and delivered door to door each time.

For me, I always know were I am going and have Goggle Maps on my phone to help when out and about. Good tool for mongering in that spot(s) you have been told about, but not sure were it is.

Put it down to a bad experience, but I suggest give him another go.

Edited by Daryle

Daryle

Just a clarification, I did take responsibility. I said in hindsight, I should have had the address.

I did talk to Mr T when I texted him and told him that the driver didn't know where Canterbury Tales Cafe was.

Not having the address was my fault, but the driver dropping me off at Walking Street and indicating that Canterbury Tales Cafe was there, was the driver's fault entirely. That is inexcusable to drop a husband and wife with luggage no where near (2-3 kilometers away) their hotel and expect them to find it.

The driver should have made sure that we got to our hotel.

Another bad move on my part was tipping the driver. Now, that was really STUPID.

But aside from the very unprofessional service from Mr T .. are you and your wife having a good time..?

But aside from the very unprofessional service from Mr T .. are you and your wife having a good time..?

good point it was a small blip enjoy your holiday.

I think it is a bit much to expect a taxi driver to know where every guesthouse is in Pattaya or any other city in Thailand. I do not think you can fault the guy for not speaking English as most do not. As said on other post best to print guesthouse info before you start your trip.

Daylight was something God made so that life was not one endless party.

Nutosf