Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Le Katai GH review

NorCalKid

I stayed at the Le Katai for a little over 3 weeks in Jan. Just thought I would do a little review of what I thought of the place.

Positives:

It's in a great location right next to LK Metro but with out all the noise at night.

Good double blinds for sleeping in.

They use top sheets in the bed. I like this a lot better than the no top sheet GHes.

Rooms are reasonably priced (mine was 550b in high season)

Reservations are honored. Mine was screwed up and they didn't have a room for me so the gave me a balcony room for the agreed upon small room price.

In loom safe(though poorly mounted)

***The staff is friendly and helpful***

restaurant down stairs.

I could park my bike inside between the buildings at night. Makes me feel a little better than leaving it on the street.

Big fridge W/no mini bar, I prefer to stock it myself.

Pay upon check out policy. Well I guess that's the policy. After I had been there a week I just went down stairs W/5k and gave it to them at reception not really knowing the policy or having been asked for money. Then settled up for the rest before checkout. I was never asked for money upfront. I just didn't really want to not pay anything till I checked out. Just felt the way I did it was a little more fair for everyone.

Negetives: I'm really not too picky and didn't mind any of these things other than the internet. But I felt that I should point them out in order to do a fair review.

There's a little much Thai mentality at times. Ex. My doorknob didn't operate properly. They said “many Falang have problem W/ lock” and showed me how to pull and jimmy it open. If I had came home in the middle of the night I would have been locked out. And I had friends try to get it open which were also unsuccessful so it wasn't just me. It finally fell apart when I was closing the door and they finally replaced it.

Only clean room if you put out the please clean room sign. Again no big deal but they didn't tell me till after my room didn't get cleaned and I asked. This policy seems out of the norm to me and I would have appreciated it if the explained it to me upon check in. The cleaner also didn't show up one other day when the sign was out.

The safe was improperly mounted. Could be pulled down with one good tug.

No good chill out area down stairs. I like when places have couches to sit at and people watch down stairs. The restaurant was always fairly busy and I never felt right about just chilling out down there. They normally needed all the space they could get. But it did get better the further away from New Years it got. And late night there was always room.

The internet sucked. When it worked it was good. But there were times the router needed to be reset to get it working again. Sounds easy right, well no. The router was in room 19 so they couldn't just go reset it like normal places. They had to wait and go into someones room when they could to reset it. This stupid setup resulted in a lot of downtime of the internet. IMO the crappy internet setup is the biggest negative about staying at this GH. It was down 3 or 4 days of my stay.

Just to point out: No 24 hour reception. Not an issue for me. But I know it is for a lot of guys so I figured I'd point it out.

How does it stand up against the other places I have stayed?

Billabong: The Billabong is nicer. But I won't stay there due to constant noise and parties/band

Murphys Law: Le Katai is much better in every way.

Killkenny: About the same in terms of quality. However Kilkenny has that LK noise.

Tropical Berts: About the same in terms of quality. Though Le Katai is in a much better location IMO

Nirun condos: OK this is a condo so maybe not a fair comparison but I would take my Nirun condo over any of the mentioned hotels. But it just wasn't possible to get one for such a short trip in high season. But I really liked staying there and at 4-5k a month it's hard to beat IMO.

SkyTop: La Katai is much nicer and in a better location IMO.

So over all what did I think of the place. I liked it. Would I recommend it to a friend? If internet isn't important to them then absolutely. If they ever offer 350b a night again in low season I feel you won't find better GH for the price. The best part of the place was the staff. This has been true of most of the places I have stayed and the reason I stay at GHes rather than hotels. I really had a good time bringing home food late night and hanging out and sharing W/the staff when I didn't have a BF. I felt that for 550b a night in high season it was a good value.

http://lekataipattaya.com/

5377898308_97ffbcd614.jpg

5377898500_00ef676458.jpg

5377299101_29146d7a92.jpg

5377974712_9574e8662e.jpg

5377974516_e37df87743.jpg

Thanks for a good balanced review, this place was on my shortlist if I couldn't get into Soy Chow restaurant rooms.

I've stayed therre many times and have always been satisfied. Very friendly staff. Great food.

Ah, man, you beat me to it... thought I'd do the same since I stayed for the first time there as well. One week in Jan, a shame we didn't know of each other.

Ok then, I take your review (which I fully agree to in almost every point) and add a few bits and thoughts of mine if different.

I've booked a big room with balcony for 650.-

Reservation was by email and nearly correct. Since they didn't have that room empty on my first day, I booked a small one for one night to be then transferred. That small one however was not vacated on time so they gave me a big one (non balcony) for the small price for that first night.

They actually had me booked for one more days than I needed (I'm sure of their error since I just checked my reservation email). I appreciated that they then not charged me for that additional day. I know that many other hotels and GH would have done that.

You seem to have been more lucky than I was since your bed looks much better than mine. In both rooms the head "board" was not actually a board but a jumble of shelves and small cupboards. Very uncomfortable. Mattress quite firm, exactly how I like it. And yes, thumbs up for the top sheet/blanket combo.

Also, neither of my rooms had a bath tub, just the open shower thing.

No 24h reception as you said. Maybe to add that you need to take your key out with you if returning late (after, say, 2am) since there is the downstairs main door which will be locked as well. Oh, and of course nobody checks or keeps any IDs.

I was once taking a bag of washing to one of the nearby laudries when I came accross the cleaning lady. She was quite happy to take the stuff off me to wash upstairs in their own machines ("more work and money for me"). Returned perfectly folded the same day. Pay at reception or directly to her.

Pay policy: was never asked upfront either, pay on checkout. Even "worse", both sides forgot to hand in/copy my passport as I discovered on the last day. So I could have easily have just left with them not having anything but a nickname and an email address... ooops.

Pompems: the hallways and the room doors are extremely loud. If you slept a bit earlier you'd wake up by anyone returning home on your floor. Were you there when the group of young russians were on the 2nd floor partying...? But then I'm a really light sleeper.

My AC did not adjust temperature although (or because) it was a new one. Not too much a problem for me since I don't use it at night. And there is the ceiling fan. But that got broken, too, by my third BF and only had one speed then... showed it to the cleaning lady and she said no pompem, happen sometimes, you not pay we fix later.

Yea, a shame with the downstairs, I love as well chilling on some sofas. Just seemed to busy there and didn't invite for just hanging out. Never eaten there but the amount of customers and some mention here on the board it's supposed to be good. Although the pictures advertising "Pattayas best breakfast" suggest otherwise... maybe in need of taking a new pic... my vote did and still does go to Billabong for that.

Comparison with Billabong: you get a small room at Billabong for 50.- more than my balcony room (you obviously had an even better price). All rooms at the Bb have balconies if you need one and their small room is about the same size than my big room at LeKatai (bathrooom a bit smaller at Bb). I think overall the Bb is nicer (incl. downstairs) and therefore better value in my opinion, although more hassle with deposit, upfront payment etc. The noise, yes, I agree but for anyone not fussed it won't matter and I did have some noise problems at LeKatai as well.

Ah, man, you beat me to it... thought I'd do the same since I stayed for the first time there as well. One week in Jan, a shame we didn't know of each other.

Ok then, I take your review (which I fully agree to in almost every point) and add a few bits and thoughts of mine if different.

I've booked a big room with balcony for 650.-

Reservation was by email and nearly correct. Since they didn't have that room empty on my first day, I booked a small one for one night to be then transferred. That small one however was not vacated on time so they gave me a big one (non balcony) for the small price for that first night.

They actually had me booked for one more days than I needed (I'm sure of their error since I just checked my reservation email). I appreciated that they then not charged me for that additional day. I know that many other hotels and GH would have done that.

You seem to have been more lucky than I was since your bed looks much better than mine. In both rooms the head "board" was not actually a board but a jumble of shelves and small cupboards. Very uncomfortable. Mattress quite firm, exactly how I like it. And yes, thumbs up for the top sheet/blanket combo.

Also, neither of my rooms had a bath tub, just the open shower thing.

No 24h reception as you said. Maybe to add that you need to take your key out with you if returning late (after, say, 2am) since there is the downstairs main door which will be locked as well. Oh, and of course nobody checks or keeps any IDs.

I was once taking a bag of washing to one of the nearby laudries when I came accross the cleaning lady. She was quite happy to take the stuff off me to wash upstairs in their own machines ("more work and money for me"). Returned perfectly folded the same day. Pay at reception or directly to her.

Pay policy: was never asked upfront either, pay on checkout. Even "worse", both sides forgot to hand in/copy my passport as I discovered on the last day. So I could have easily have just left with them not having anything but a nickname and an email address... ooops.

Pompems: the hallways and the room doors are extremely loud. If you slept a bit earlier you'd wake up by anyone returning home on your floor. Were you there when the group of young russians were on the 2nd floor partying...? But then I'm a really light sleeper.

My AC did not adjust temperature although (or because) it was a new one. Not too much a problem for me since I don't use it at night. And there is the ceiling fan. But that got broken, too, by my third BF and only had one speed then... showed it to the cleaning lady and she said no pompem, happen sometimes, you not pay we fix later.

Yea, a shame with the downstairs, I love as well chilling on some sofas. Just seemed to busy there and didn't invite for just hanging out. Never eaten there but the amount of customers and some mention here on the board it's supposed to be good. Although the pictures advertising "Pattayas best breakfast" suggest otherwise... maybe in need of taking a new pic... my vote did and still does go to Billabong for that.

Comparison with Billabong: you get a small room at Billabong for 50.- more than my balcony room (you obviously had an even better price). All rooms at the Bb have balconies if you need one and their small room is about the same size than my big room at LeKatai (bathrooom a bit smaller at Bb). I think overall the Bb is nicer (incl. downstairs) and therefore better value in my opinion, although more hassle with deposit, upfront payment etc. The noise, yes, I agree but for anyone not fussed it won't matter and I did have some noise problems at LeKatai as well.

Too bad we never met. Which building were you in? I was in the one further away from Bakaw. Never had any problems with noise. I stayed there a couple nights last year in the other building and didn’t either. No I never heard the Russians. My bed was fine. To be honest I never thought about it so it must have been good. Tropical Bert’s had the best bed of all the GHes I have stayed at.I have stayed in 2 rooms in the BB and although nice the noise was terrible. The band was right below me 2 nights a week and there were a ton of parties on LK at the time. I would much prefer the relative peacefulness of Le Katai to the noise of the BB. And I’m not too picky and live in a college apartment complex. Though I had a great time chilling out down stairs at the BB. The BB also had a IMO stupid deposit policy at the time I stayed there asking you to email your CC details which I wasn’t willing to do. I had to go to the supermarket and get a prepaid CC. I hear they offer a secure payment method now though.

Right, I stayed at the left-hand building when you enter, i.e. closer to Buakhao. That might explain the differences in beds and the bathtub.

Soi Lenkee was quite busy now compared with how I remember it in October.

Next trip I want to stay in a real quiet place again though. I'm too much of a light sleeper being used to almost no noise back home. Something like a Pasadena back room or Summer Spring Soi 1 again or something.

Yep, I stayed at Le Katai around November and had almost the same experience as the OP. All was good, cheap, the room good, everything worked - Including the Internet. The downstairs was nice, the girls real nice. And yes, even though I am not big on Farang food, it was good and cheap (as far as Farang food goes).

Then I wake up on like the 3rd day and no Internet. I asked after it for 2 days with no help, so I moved next door to Place 2 B which was fine too. I knew the Net at P2B worked because I could see the signal.

I know if you are here for 2 weeks or something maybe the Net is not a deal breaker but for me having been here awhile, I have to have it in the room. I have had to move at least 3 times just because of the Net at some places and no real response.

Sunseek01

• 1 month later...

this is one i`m going to check up on as its in the right area for me thanks for your opinion on the plce much appreciated

billyboy

• 2 months later...
  1. ii hope to be staying there in june :001_Thank_You5:

I stayed there March / April time - in the same room as NorCalKid, judging by the photos!

Here is my assessment:

1. Good size room, comfort fine for budget sector.

2. Bed a bit hard, as previously noted.

3. Friendly service (of course, this is LOS).

4. Even rooms overlooking road not too noisy. It’s quieter than Sois 7, 8 and LK Metro.

5. Restaurant is very good and reasonably priced – I ate there more often as my stay progressed.

6. Well organised and popular golf trips – the one I went on was full (24 persons, 3 minibuses).

7. Good location, close to 2 supermakets, Soi Bukao, LK Metro etc.

8. This hotel compares favourably with my previous hotel (Pattaya Bay Resort), and costs around half the price.

The internet always worked OK for me.

The comment re wall safe mounting being loose - isn't that deliberate so that safe cannot be easily forced open?

I intend to stay there on my next trip. :GoldenSmile1:

A couple more details on Le Katai:

Wifi is provided, but you do not really need it.

There are 3 computers for public use behind the restaurant.

hotel guests get unlimited use.

Restaurant customers can use for half an hour.

The restaurant has the UK Daily Mail on a rack for customer use.

Crap newspaper, but something to read over breakfast.

For more choice, Wetherspoons is just round the corner.

The restaurant is usually busy, but the bar the other side is generally quiet.

You can chill-out in there.