Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Moving Money

Scuzz

I'm planning on opening a bank account on my next trip, and I was wondering what's the best way of getting $$$ to Thailand.

I used my debit card last trip and got horribly ripped off, so I plan on using a local debit card. I hate giving my $$$ to those bloodsuckers, so I am curious as to what's the best way to move it.

I understand that I should move the $$$ as Canadian and let the bank do the conversion, but I don't know whether to wire or do travelers' checks.

I know approximately the cost of a wire, but I heard somewhere that Kasikorn will charge me to deposit/cash my travelers' cheques as well?

What's the scoop on that? How much do they charge, and is it per cheque or a percentage of the total?

I'm planning on opening a bank account on my next trip, and I was wondering what's the best way of getting $$$ to Thailand.

I used my debit card last trip and got horribly ripped off, so I plan on using a local debit card. I hate giving my $$$ to those bloodsuckers, so I am curious as to what's the best way to move it.

I understand that I should move the $$$ as Canadian and let the bank do the conversion, but I don't know whether to wire or do travelers' checks.

I know approximately the cost of a wire, but I heard somewhere that Kasikorn will charge me to deposit/cash my travelers' cheques as well?

What's the scoop on that? How much do they charge, and is it per cheque or a percentage of the total?

It's easy and only takes half an hour to open a Kasikorn bank a/c. It costs 600 Baht for the a/c and ATM card

Then you have a look round, change your TCs at the booth that gives you the best exchange rate, cash your TCs and put the cash in your a/c and you're ready to go and never have to pay those bloodsuckers another penny from your transactions in the LOS.

For reasonable sized amounts use a foreign exchange company, much cheaper than banks.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

:08:

yes i agree with wifi king.

If your going to Thailand then cash or TC and deposit over the counter is cheapest

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

It's easy and only takes half an hour to open a Kasikorn bank a/c. It costs 600 Baht for the a/c and ATM card

Then you have a look round, change your TCs at the booth that gives you the best exchange rate, cash your TCs and put the cash in your a/c and you're ready to go and never have to pay those bloodsuckers another penny from your transactions in the LOS.

350 baht (not 600) is the cost for an ATM card when you open an account then 30 or 33 baht to cash each TC to deposit money into it. Get the biggest denomination TCs you can and you're away. No 150 baht fee on each foreign ATM card withdrawal so you can withdraw daily amounts if you wish without being screwed. You will be charged 20 baht if it's another bank's ATM but nothing if it's Kasikorn's.

Glyn.

Currently at home until after the Wet Season. See you again in Sept.

Update - couldn't wait until Sept, booked for early July.

350 baht (not 600) is the cost for an ATM card when you open an account then 30 or 33 baht to cash each TC to deposit money into it. Get the biggest denomination TCs you can and you're away. No 150 baht fee on each foreign ATM card withdrawal so you can withdraw daily amounts if you wish without being screwed. You will be charged 20 baht if it's another bank's ATM but nothing if it's Kasikorn's.

Glyn.

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank yesterday. Paid 300baht for a debitcard with VISA, which means worldwide payment and ATM access.

nice--%C3%A0-classe_medium.jpg

In Thailand money talks and I am all talk.

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank yesterday. Paid 300baht for a debitcard with VISA, which means worldwide payment and ATM access.

Is that going to let you make deposits to the account from another country as well?

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.

Good. I had to special order my TCs, as the local bank doesn't have anything bigger than $100. I am getting $500 denominations in both Canuck bucks and US$

Is that going to let you make deposits to the account from another country as well?

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.

Good. I had to special order my TCs, as the local bank doesn't have anything bigger than $100. I am getting $500 denominations in both Canuck bucks and US$

Yes, just remember to get the SWIFT code for the bank as well as your account number then you can transfer money from abroad.

nice--%C3%A0-classe_medium.jpg

In Thailand money talks and I am all talk.

I suspect that they will.

I send money to the GF every month. My bank charges a flat fee for any amount, around 500B & they give a shit rate; they convert it to baht first for 'your convenience'.

Then Kasikorn take 500B to process the SWIFT transfer at the other end.

Whichever way you do it, you'll still be spit roasted by the bankers, as if they haven't fucked us enough.

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

Whichever way you do it, you'll still be spit roasted by the bankers

images.jpg

i have a Kasikorn account, and transfer money online from my Oz account(westpac) using the swift code.

i believe this is the best way as Kasikorn gives me a good rate, and it saves any fees here taking from the ATM.

like you said, never send in Thai Baht as its a lot better to have Kasikorn do the conversion.

I send money to the GF every month. My bank charges a flat fee for any amount, around 500B & they give a shit rate; they convert it to baht first for 'your convenience'.

I'm confused.

Whenever I've t/f to Kasikorn from HSBC/First Direct, they do have a higher flat fee (25 quid now?) so I do biggish chunks, but I t/f GBP. They do ask if I'd like it "converted for my convenience" (yeh right!) but I always politely decline.

Kasikorn has always given me within a smidgeon of the rate on the thaivisa link and no charge this end.

I haven't done any since I won the lottery so maybe it's changed.

Pennies. :GoldenSmile1:

Kasikorn is good and make sure that you sign up for their online banking. You might not need it now, but in the future you might.

FatherMojo

A new BG asked an experienced BG what was the difference between the Long Con and the Short Con. The experienced BG replied... The Long Con takes longer, but the rewards are far greater.

Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.

Pattaya Hotel Listing: www.bookmyspot.com

Condo / Housing Forum: www.roomdaddy.com Please recommend to your friends living in a condo or village. This could be a good place to stay informed about the happenings where you live.

I'm confused.

Whenever I've t/f to Kasikorn from HSBC/First Direct, they do have a higher flat fee (25 quid now?) so I do biggish chunks, but I t/f GBP. They do ask if I'd like it "converted for my convenience" (yeh right!) but I always politely decline.

Kasikorn has always given me within a smidgeon of the rate on the thaivisa link and no charge this end.

I haven't done any since I won the lottery so maybe it's changed.

Pennies. :GoldenSmile1:

There's no machinery via Halifax internet banking transfer, but I'm sure if I did it by phone they would gladly send the cash in GBP, as the fee is double! Anyway, future transactions are going to take place the old fashioned way, through hand to hand combat.

I did check out the SWIFT transfer fees at Kasikorn a while ago. They charge on a sliding scale, from 300-500B. I thought UK banks were c*nts, but Thai banks take fees to a new level. 100B for an ATM card; my arse.

Service Fees for Dep_130809.pdf

sgu_banner.gif

I suspect that they will.

Whichever way you do it, you'll still be spit roasted by the bankers, as if they haven't fucked us enough.

I am sure that you will get a better rate by sending sterling over and letting it be converted on the way in to Thailand. The Bank of Thailand rates are generally far better than those found elsewhere.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม