IGNORED

German caught up in armed theft involving two uniformed men

LaaMok

A German Tourist was robbed at gunpoint by two men men who were wearing Police Volunteer uniforms on Friday evening. The incident occurred in Soi 7 off the Tepprasit Road in Jomtien. Mr. Michael Maslankowski aged 43 alerted Police who soon arrived and were told that he was driving his motorbike along the road when he was stopped by the two men who were both carrying guns. They were wearing uniforms consistent with those worn by Pattaya Police Volunteers. He was ordered to hand over cash and valuables and gave over 8,500 Euro’s which he was reportedly carrying in the seat compartment and he was about to take the cash to a money exchange booth. The money belonged to his Danish Friend who soon arrived to confirm the story. Back at Pattaya Police Station Mr. Maslankowski attempted to identify the two gunmen through Police Volunteer records held by them. No positive ID was made and the men were told the likelihood of the money being recovered was extremely slim.

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/18658/german-caught-up-in-armed-theft-involving-two-uniformed-men/

Leason learned; don't trust anyone and better drive drunk than with 8,500 Euro :GoldenSmile1:

It will be interesting to follow the story and find out who the bad guy(s) are

Edited by Kandinski

I've heard stories like this before of huge amounts of money being stolen. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... The most I've ever carried with me in Thailand has been 70000 baht and that was basically straight from the bank to the person I was paying to register a business, during the daytime...

Is it me, or is there something fishy in this story?

The risk of getting robbed in the afternoon is very slim and the odds for any robber to hit on exactly the one carrying a hugh sum is microscopic. Could be an insurance fraud

this smell bad to me was he the only one done

MIKE

He was ordered to hand over cash and valuables and gave over 8,500 Euro’s which he was reportedly carrying in the seat compartment and he was about to take the cash to a money exchange booth.

I would not give anybody that kind of cash to "Change For Me" friend or not

I do not think there is an exchange booth in Pattaya that would be holding 340000 bhat on premises at any given time. Something very fishy about this story.

That is a lot of cash to be changing, 330 thousand Baht give or take. Something is very off about this.

I am not sure of this, maybe someone can answer. Do tourist police carry weapons?

I am a fat kid in a sweet shop, I just cannot choose and want it all.

A cock and Bull story... A Del Boy type story... Insurance scam against their own country insurance.. My mate got robbed and hospitlised from LBs in Soi Diana, The police gave him a report form, When he got back home, told the insurance agent of what happened, He cheekily asked him if he had any police report, he was disappointed when my mate said he had it... €1,750 he got.. I think that why the German and the Dane trying to get a offical Police report to get the insurance claims with no teething problems..

I smell insurance scam...if he get's a police report he can claim from his insurance when he gets home.He better not hope there was any sort of CC TV in or around the area to prove his story was BS.

Did he actually have the cash with him/did he even go down that Soi in the first place/

Did anyone see him there( Thai/farang)/Did anyone see these volunteers enter/leave the soi..

I call BS on this and ask the TV..Detective Columbo to cross exam his..

Edited by flying_guitars

"You only get two pieces of ass in your life. Your first and your last." Everything in between is extra gravy and I love extra gravy.

sounds like a scam indeed but my thoughts were with the Danish guy...maybe he tipped of the Thai guys so making a big buck for himself

When the yen was so high back in the late 1980s, Japanese tourists were notorious for carrying huge amounts of cash on them. Purse snatching by motorcycle riders was the most common method of robbery though. I remember reading about a Japanese woman whose snatched handbag contained something like 100,000 baht, US$10,000 and a large amount of yen. The Japanese would also go out wearing very expensive jewellery, which was targeted.

But in order for this report to be true, someone would have had to know the German tourist was carrying a large amount of cash. The tale is either fiction, or police had better find out who knew Maslankowski and heard him talking. It's a bit hard to swallow.

When the yen was so high back in the late 1980s, Japanese tourists were notorious for carrying huge amounts of cash on them. Purse snatching by motorcycle riders was the most common method of robbery though. I remember reading about a Japanese woman whose snatched handbag contained something like 100,000 baht, US$10,000 and a large amount of yen. The Japanese would also go out wearing very expensive jewellery, which was targeted.

But in order for this report to be true, someone would have had to know the German tourist was carrying a large amount of cash. The tale is either fiction, or police had better find out who knew Maslankowski and heard him talking. It's a bit hard to swallow.

at a exchange , does they not give a receipt....? at Suvarnhabumi they do..!! first thing to check out

update; now i saw he ONLY was on his way TO the exchange.... how convinient..... :Hello:

Edited by david555

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Whole thing is a set-up. The 2 'cops' are in on the act also. Obvious insurance scam.

if there e those 2"cops" really existed ...., some witnesses should have seen a farang stopped by cops in the soi...

1) big amount handing over to a friend to change

2) robbed on the way up to exchange ... not after ... as then a exchange ticket could be there to prouve the money existed really

3) as 1poster before mensioned ,very unlikely echange boot has sutch an amount availble...and ....friday evening ..banks closed to deposed there for exchange or put in account

Edited by david555

mmm, everyone stating it is an insurance scam, how?

who gets a holiday policy and is covered for 7,500 euro in cash??

mmm, everyone stating it is an insurance scam, how?

who gets a holiday policy and is covered for 7,500 euro in cash??

Correct!! NO insurance company is gonna cover for that kind of sum..Most would be in the region of 200-500max.

His friend seemed to know he was carrying the cash :GoldenSmile1:

Correct!! NO insurance company is gonna cover for that kind of sum..Most would be in the region of 200-500max.

His friend seemed to know he was carrying the cash :GoldenSmile1:

Maybe he chose 7,500 as there is usually a significant excess to pay when you claim insurance so he was covering himself for this also. Just a very fishy story overall.

Sounds like he was transporting cash that is used at a Exchange booth. It doesn't say he was going to exchange it. Maybe his Danish friend owns a exchange booth and was bringing the starting cash? If that's the case then someone has been watching the danish man and once they found his operation they moved on in.

Hell, if I owned a Exchange Booth I would definitely use random couriers to deliver it. (Not the same guy every day). If I was the Danish guy, I would be looking into the finances of the driver who "supposedly" got robbed.

Highly unlikely he had insurance, or even if you could get affordable insurance for "Cash Couriers".

Another newspaper (The Nation) is now reporting a "conflicting story" that the money hidden in his motorcycle seat compartment was "A plastic bag of Thai money, which he had helped a Swedish friend to exchange for 8,500 euros.".

Now it sounds like someone saw him exchange the money and went after him??? Sounds like a Swedish (verses a Danish man as reported in Pattaya1) man sent him to exchange Euros and upon his return is when he got robbed? I guess that would explain the Euros??

Edited by SlickMonkey

Another newspaper (The Nation) is now reporting a "conflicting story" that the money hidden in his motorcycle seat compartment was "A plastic bag of Thai money, which he had helped a Swedish friend to exchange for 8,500 euros.".

Now it sounds like someone saw him exchange the money and went after him??? Sounds like a Swedish (verses a Danish man as reported in Pattaya1) man sent him to exchange Euros and upon his return is when he got robbed? I guess that would explain the Euros??

In THAT case there should be a receipt from the transaction .... would it? to see at least the money existed for real...?