IGNORED

Get in shape!

Noud

Recently I have come to the conclusion that I really want to do something about my weight. And I've been thinking of different ways to motivate me. Health is always one, but I don't really feel bad, quite the opposite. New years resolutions just don't work, everyone brakes them, it's sort of tradition to do =) So I came up with a little plan... I'm going to see if I can get some help here.

My goal with this thread is to find a few more that feel they would do good by loosing some weight. What method you use, is up to you. But I personally will be swimming, it's pretty cheap. And compared to many other forms of training, is not too hard on my body. But other ways of training are welcome.

So how many can I get to agree to try and train once week as a minimum and post their progress here?

I'll start this off. My current weight is 100.1 kg. For my height that isn't too bad, but getting it down to 90 or so would be good for my knees and probably my back too. So there we have it. I've got a start and a goal. If you are going to do this give yourself a possible goal. When you reach it set another if needed/wanted.

As I am going to start swimming I'll lay down the plan I have. Initially I will be training 2 times every week. I will swim for 1hr each time to get used to it. I've been actively training before and was once a licensed instructor in one of the more common martial arts. But due to injuries that is not suitable for me anymore. Hence swimming. =) The goal is to be able to push this to 1½ hours 3 times a week.

So why put all this here? Mainly to motivate, once I've been training I will post here, telling you what I've done and how long. And hopefully by seeing others doing the same I will get motivated to keep going.

Walking, running, cycling, by all means go to the gym. Maybe you goal isn't to loose weight, but to gain some? sure things. Almost any type of exercise is fine with me, sex is not exercise. Something that good can't be exercise, and if it ain't good you are clearly doing something wrong =P

Most comments are welcome

Noud

I've been into sports all my life and have spent countless hours in the gym. You seem very motivated which is great but you did not once mention your diet. I once read an article that getting in shape is 70% diet 20% mental and 10% gym. Once I took that seriously it changed my life, I am in the best shape of my life now without having to beat myself up in the gym.

You can spend all day swimming but if your diet is shit you wont' get anywhere.

Edited by fly

Good luck buddy. Swimming isn't great for loosing weight as your core temp doesn't get up much. Do intervals in the pool if this is the only exercise you can do. Mincing around doing slow laps will do fuck all.

Resistance training is best with some cardio. Might post some goals and plan soon.

Again good luck, not meant as a flame at all.

I've been into sports all my life and have spent countless hours in the gym. You seem very motivated which is great but you did not once mention your diet. I once read an article that getting in shape is 70% diet 20% mental and 10% gym. Once I took that seriously it changed my life, I am in the best shape of my life now without having to beat myself up in the gym.

You can spend all day swimming but if your diet is shit you wont' get anywhere.

You are right about diet, it is a vital part. As I said my current weight is 100kg it has been 120kg, a few years ago I changed my diet. I got the first 20 kg to thank for that. These days my diet is good, although I probably eat to much compared to how much energy I spend.

I did leave diet out on purpose though, as I felt that what I needed was the extra push to make sure I started and continued training. While a lot of people that weigh a little more than they should probably needs help with a better diet, I am not really suited to help them with that. The limited knowledge I have about making a diet is not really worth sharing ;) I know what worked well for me when I was active in competitions and I've gone back to that. As a result I eat more than I need, but I eat good.

Ten-twelve years ago when I was in the shape of my life, I would weigh in at 81kg. That was my match weight while competing. But as with most sports were there are weight limits you make sure you loose a few kilos prior to a competition, so my actual weight probably was close to 85kg. Add to that a bit more muscle, on my upper body since then. I'm by no means a small person =)So while 100kg might sound like much it really is not too bad.

Good luck buddy. Swimming isn't great for loosing weight as your core temp doesn't get up much. Do intervals in the pool if this is the only exercise you can do. Mincing around doing slow laps will do fuck all.

Resistance training is best with some cardio. Might post some goals and plan soon.

Again good luck, not meant as a flame at all.

Er where did you read that? I'd say you are doing something wrong when your swimming ;) First I use breaststroke when I train(or intend to and have done in the past). Can we agree that there are not many muscle groups that I leave out when I do that? After that it's more a matter of intensity. I seriously think you underestimate swimming.

This is in no way a flame either. I'm just wondering if you are not out on deep waters when you dismiss swimming ;)

I finally made a serious lifestyle change a few years ago in terms of diet. Before I never paid much attention to my diet, so what I would do is gorge myself every meal. No wonder I was having such a hard time keeping the weight off. Then I forced myself to portion control my meals and a few years later I have kept the weight off (around 14 kilograms total). It may go up a few pounds here and there but nothing too extreme.

In terms of exercising I have always liked to work out, just the feel of it whether after a long run or the soreness from lifting weights.

As I have gotten older I try to adjust what I do so as not to overdo it.

In order to motivate myself I have a goal to get in shape before every vacation trip. I'll start off maybe 3 months or so before trip and go from there. Cardio 3-4 times a week, resistance training every other day (cross fit type). Being in better shape and having the energy and stamina for the ladies is enough motivation for me.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I was over 120 kg now down to just over 100 only drink beer in Los and rest is only water... Food stayed the same . I won't exercise so beer has to go for now and that seems to work plus no food after 9 pm and wTer before bed

Good luck for you weight losing. I try to run 3 to 4 times a week. I run about 40 minutes at a time. When I'm not running I go for walk about 1 hour at a time. I think I don't have overweight but I got two years ago 5 kilograms more when I was in LOS about three weeks. And I have still same 5 kilograms.

when you become older you gain weight easily and it is becoming increasingly difficult to get rid of it. Have to work harder. Have to think what to eat and how much. It is easy to drift into the former habits and eat whenever you are hungry then notice you aren't really hungry.

Good luck for you weight losing. I try to run 3 to 4 times a week. I run about 40 minutes at a time. When I'm not running I go for walk about 1 hour at a time. I think I don't have overweight but I got two years ago 5 kilograms more when I was in LOS about three weeks. And I have still same 5 kilograms.

when you become older you gain weight easily and it is becoming increasingly difficult to get rid of it. Have to work harder. Have to think what to eat and how much. It is easy to drift into the former habits and eat whenever you are hungry then notice you aren't really hungry.

so true - i have found it increasingly difficult to lose weight. i'm not really 'old' by any means but i would say the fittest I have ever been was when i was 20/21 where i was working out at the gym 4 times a week combined with ice hockey training 4 times a week. these days even though i eat less than i did when i was 21 i find it extremely difficult to lose weight, especially around the gut area

A major key in dropping body fat is a fast metabolism, and the key to a fast metabolism is to fuel it. Eat several small meals a day so it is always working/running. It is like training a muscle. And a "small meal" can be anything from an apple to a couple of handfuls of almonds. Hell, whatever it is, even a slice of pizza, is better than going long periods of time without eating anything and then gorging at meal times.

A lot of people skip breakfast (horrible idea)and then eat a huge lunch around noon. If they had dinner at 7 the night before, they just went 17 hours without out fueling their metabolism. Then it's a big dinner at night and the cycle starts all over again. The metabolism becomes slower and slower and the body fat packs on.

If you need to see a live demonstration of this, just look at Thai people. They eat several times a day and stay thin because their metabolism is running like a finely tuned engine.

In my opinion, this is where you start any attempt to drop body fat.

Ok guys, the diet is important. I know that. And mine is good. What I wanted was help with my motivation to exercise. So far I've been told to eat properly and that swimming is shite. I apologize to those that actually tried to motivate me.

I will still post my progress and hopefully I can show that my plan worked out.

Another thing, is when you're in Thailand you will find yourself eating a lot of fried foods.

Everything you eat seems to be "Pad" - fried, in Palm oil as well.

I ask for Pak Ruam Thom kap khao suay - boiled mixed vegetables with steamed rice. Thom is boiled.

Or "Pak ruam looa kap gung/ plaa merk/ taleh" etc. - steamed mixed vegetables with prawns, squid, seafood. Looa is steamed. Say it with a rise in the middle.

ie. lOOa

Also stay off the beer, learn to drink whisky or spirits.

Good Luck

"Remember, you've never lost the girl, only your turn"

The only motivation I need to exercise is this:

http://www.mistysagogo.com/newgallery

phoca_thumb_l__dsc9255-2.jpg

Seriously, when I plan a trip to Thailand, I motivate myself to diet and work out maybe 3 months prior to going. Yes I understand we are paying for pussy (well at least those of us not young and handsome enough to get it for 'free'), but at the same time if you work out, you look and feel better about yourself, which translates to a better overall experience for all parties involved.

Just thinking of all those hot ladies motivates me to keep lifting at the gym and doing the cardio even if I am tired.

Official Pattaya Song

Ok guys, the diet is important. I know that. And mine is good. What I wanted was help with my motivation to exercise. So far I've been told to eat properly and that swimming is shite. I apologize to those that actually tried to motivate me.

I will still post my progress and hopefully I can show that my plan worked out.

I was running today.

You go swimming tomorrow. Don't give up!

I struggle with diet, I'd like to lose a stone... I don't like veg... some fruits okay, but struggle to stick to appetising 'healthy' foods...

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

Noud,

100kg is 220 ibs. Unless you are unusually tall, you're edging into obesity territory at that weight. Medium built 6"1" male should be weighting in around 170 lbs.

Noud,

100kg is 220 ibs. Unless you are unusually tall, you're edging into obesity territory at that weight. Medium built 6"1" male should be weighting in around 170 lbs.

I'm guessing you are basing this on BMI. While that can be a guide for as you say a medium built person, anything other than that makes it mostly invalid. I'm aware that I need to loose a few kilos. But in my case to get down to the normal I would have to go down to 85kg, according to the BMI scale.

As i wrote before 85kg was my normal weight when I was competing. The reason it was there was not because I could not get it any higher but that it seemed to be the suitable weight, based on the possible weight classes I had to choose from. 81kg or 90kg. Ideal weight for competing in 90kg is a few kilos above 90kg. As I found it to hard to gain the muscle mass to do well in 90kg i had to make sure kept it low enough to be able to still get into 81kg. Since I stopped competing I've had physically intense jobs for the last 10 years or so. Getting myself down to 85kg would mean I would have to loose some muscle mass.

On the other hand I got a friend that is marginally shorter than me, he wieghs in at 72kg, he's a cyclist. He has no upper body at all, arms like twigs. He still not on the bottom of the scale and I can tell you there is no fat on his body.

Best would be to use a combination of BMI and and waist circumference.

But just what was the purpose of your post? Was to to say that I'm fat, and need to loose weight? Sorry to late I know I need to do that. Or are you trying to say I'm fatter than I think? o.O

If you are trying to add some motivation, please stop now ;)

The only motivation I need to exercise is this:

http://www.mistysagogo.com/newgallery

phoca_thumb_l__dsc9255-2.jpg

Seriously, when I plan a trip to Thailand, I motivate myself to diet and work out maybe 3 months prior to going. Yes I understand we are paying for pussy (well at least those of us not young and handsome enough to get it for 'free'), but at the same time if you work out, you look and feel better about yourself, which translates to a better overall experience for all parties involved.

Just thinking of all those hot ladies motivates me to keep lifting at the gym and doing the cardio even if I am tired.

That is good motivation. =)

I struggle with diet, I'd like to lose a stone... I don't like veg... some fruits okay, but struggle to stick to appetising 'healthy' foods...

Eating healthy is difficult because it is not conveniently available. Therefore, you have to be creative and make it yourself. Find the healthy food ingredients and create a meal out of it. Try this link... http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2011/01/14/15-superfoods-for-under-20-stocking-your-pantry-on-the-cheap.aspx

Stay away from fast food, fried food, processed food, and sugars. It is very difficult to do because bad food is all around us and is convenient. However, if your goal is to loose weight, you need to eat healthy food. By eating healthy food, you are giving your body what it needs. When you eat unhealthy food, you are not satisfying your body what it needs, so you will feel the need to eat more. More importantly, by eating healthy, you will avoid illnesses (cardiovascular diseases, stroke, cancer, diabetes, etc.), live longer, and look younger.

Since you do not like veggies, try juicing them with fruits that you like and drink it. You can drink several juice a day and each time it will give you a boost of energy.

Sorry I assumed u where the average overweight guy.. in denial :)

Missed the part were u said u were competing at 90kg, must have been a beast!

Anyway best of look dude.

Eating healthy is difficult because it is not conveniently available. Therefore, you have to be creative and make it yourself. Find the healthy food ingredients and create a meal out of it. Try this link... http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2011/01/14/15-superfoods-for-under-20-stocking-your-pantry-on-the-cheap.aspx

Stay away from fast food, fried food, processed food, and sugars. It is very difficult to do because bad food is all around us and is convenient. However, if your goal is to loose weight, you need to eat healthy food. By eating healthy food, you are giving your body what it needs. When you eat unhealthy food, you are not satisfying your body what it needs, so you will feel the need to eat more. More importantly, by eating healthy, you will avoid illnesses (cardiovascular diseases, stroke, cancer, diabetes, etc.), live longer, and look younger.

Since you do not like veggies, try juicing them with fruits that you like and drink it. You can drink several juice a day and each time it will give you a boost of energy.

Thanks for the link, although all them foods would be very hard for me to get accustomed to.

as you say junk is convenience all around us - It's just one of them things healthy eating.. easier said than done

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

I want to do Thailand again this summer.

That'll give me plenty of time to tweak my supplement and exercise routines. I'm going to try numerous 'natural' supplements to try and increase my sexual libido.

Official Pattaya Song

There we go, did the first proper training session today. My goal prior to going there was to swim for 1 hour. After swimming for about 5 minutes It felt that I had to change my goal slightly. So It was dropped down to 40 mins. Once I reached my new goal I had to power to keep going for a bit more but the feeling in my body told me, time to stop. It's the first session lets see how my body can handle this...

To tell the truth I could feel I had done a good work when I got out of the water. You know after a good work out it can sometimes feel a bit weird to walk. Felt like I had to logs as legs and I was pretty slow. Funny thing is, while in the water, you don't really feel how tired you are.But once you get up... ;) it hits you.

As a little reference what I did was swim using breaststroke for 40 minutes, it does take more energy to do that the more conventional crawl. And it has a completely different movement pattern. During these 40 mins I managed to swim 1525 meters. Fuck if I know how good/bad that is, but that's what I did.

Tomorrow is ladies night in the local pool, no men allowed so I get a day off regardless of how it feels, but as the plan was twice a week I should be good anyway.

Lets see how things go.

Just start drinking San Miguel Light :) I bought myself a device which cooks my food with steam, so just put in the chicken with some veggies and you have an almost fat free meal, at least no oil and really easy to cook!

I bought mine at Carrefour, dont know if its stil there though..

Since yesterday i started to work out also after a break for 2 years, just trying to go 3 times a week and perhaps 1 times a week Muay Thai workout.

I'm 28 years old and dont wanna end up with a big beerbelly as some people walking around in Patts, just need to be fit because when i 'm walking around for even 8 floors i'm already out of breath :Dunno:

Edited by mokum

At 6 ft 100 kgs should be about 90 to 93 kgs if you are doing alot of weight work and mabe a little closer to 85 to 88kgs if you are just doing cardio ..you can get there in about 12 weeks if you are motivated. no probs there ....Im having a guess your current fittness level is close to zero and there is no mention of your age or history...... that being the case don't aim high early and try to make it a daily routine rather than 2 or 3 times a week it's about stess and recovery and thats a little too much recovery inbetween stess.....A HEARTRATE MONITOR IS A GOOD INVESTMENT ....work out 80% of your max heart rate for starters then find a cardio workout that you can do for 15mins( POWER WALK ,WALK/JOG 'BIKE ) and do that every day for week 1 ... ( it sounds weak I know but you have to start at the bottom and build a foundation ) you then add 10 min a week until you are doing an hour ....AFTER 6 WEEKS look at bringing interval work and weight training into your routine ....Maybe have a real good look at the people around you as well, we are all products of our enviroment ...it might be that you may need to drift away form your old circle of friends if they are guys that want to go out and have a good time after work ....a weeks membership of the best gym in town will cost you a lot less than a night out with them as a bonus...Group classes at a gym can be a good way to get started... a combination of Spin and Pump covers your bases and places you around people who have a common goal, it helps with the motivation

Edited by crossfield