IGNORED

Massages making you sick

QuotaMan

So on my last trip, first day in Thailand decided to have a foot massage at a local shop, the ones you see everywhere that charge 200-300 baht an hour (non happy ending places).

Later that evening, I start to feel a little sick, headache, fever, shaky, run down almost like a mild flu. The feeling only lasted a day or so this time fortunately.

It reminded me of my previous trip to Thailand where I also had a foot massage on my first day. The next day I felt like I got run over by a truck, horrible headache and body aches, feverish, exhausted. It lasted a week and ruined my trip. It really did feel like the worst flu I ever had.

At the time I thought I just caught an unlucky bug from someone or maybe it was that pussy I ate (I mentioned it here on PA somewhere before).

But after this last trip, now I'm thinking my sick feeling may in fact have been due to the massages. In talking to others, they said that massages release a lot of toxins that can make you sick.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I believe massages are supposed to relieve toxins (but I wouldn't have thought a foot massage would do much). The toxins should come out when u shit or piss though..not run rampant through your body.

It was probably something you ate as mentioned. Something small, hairy and wet. That can often cause problems. :Booboo:

This is both from first day massages right? It could be the massage, but i doubt it. I often get sick on arrival in a new country.

sounds strange to me.

i might get sick as well if i paid 300 baht, they go for 100 baht in many places.

After a massage, it really helps if you drink lots of water. This flushes the toxins out of your system.

Yip, I drink at least 4 liters of water every day plus usually in Pattaya also 1 liter of Gatorade and taking daily pill of vitamins and minerals plus lots of fruit.

It's crucial to hydrate your body - not drinking alcohol till you can't walk.

foot massages are a kind of alternative therapy (lookup reflexology) .. they can actually tell if you have problems in specific parts of your body from nerve knots in your feet, im not surprised you can feel ill after a first session!

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

When a foot reflex zone massage is able to give your body a positive effect, I'm sure it can go the other way when something is done wrong. What are the requirements on training to start a massage shop, or to start working as a massage therapist. Are there any?

Interesting.

It may very well have been something else, but this visit I didn't do anything 'unusual' and didn't have sex yet before the massage. I normally don't get sick when I arrive in Thailand (at least in my previous trips I never have).

I'll look up reflexology as per praf974...

Official Pattaya Song

There could be some truth to this getting sick from a massage.

12 months ago i got a hand massage with mandatory balm.

That night my hands started to go blotchy red and thought nothing of it.

Next day they started to itch,also getting more red.

Because i was heading back to OZ that night, all i thought about was getting the hell out of there,and seeing my doctor back home.

Thank christ i did,i ended up in hospital for 2 days in excruciating pain.Apparently i had allergic dermatitis.

Caused by infected balm.Beware of what they are rubbing on you.

Thank fuck she didn't rub it around my balls.

Did you check your AC? Principle cause of flu and strep throat.

Maybe you've also eat first day when you come to LOS. In food in LOS is different bacterial strain than your home country. It can cause symptoms that you mentioned.

Edited by ova

Did you check your AC? Principle cause of flu and strep throat.

It could be the AC, but in my previous trips I never got this sick even with the AC on full blast in the room all night and day. But it could be a cause as I'm sure some AC's aren't as maintained as others.

Maybe you've also eat first day when you come to LOS. In food in LOS is different bacterial strain than your home country. It can cause symptoms that you mentioned.

Could be the food too, but the food I ate was similar this trip and previous one before I had the foot massage, stuff from 7-11 and McDonald's.

I guess I'll just refrain from foot massages next trip.

Official Pattaya Song

I had this flu like symtoms last time I was in Pattaya, I thought it was just a bug I'd caught but I've been reading more and more about people getting sick through the AC and midway through my stay I was told someone would be up to fix the AC so must have been something wrong with it therefore my sickness. :/

I get foot or Thai massages almost every other day and have never had a problem with them.

I think to open a proper massage shop you have to have a certificate to prove you've had training from the Thai massage or medical institute or something like that. One of the girls did tell me once but I've forgotten. You can see the certificates on the wall sometimes just like a doctor will display their qualifications.

Edited by Mission

Back in OZ at the moment there are 4 people in hospital in intensive care,3 seriously ill.

From LEGIONNAIRES DISEASE,caused by bacteria from AC's in Kuta Bali.

Big investigation by OZ authorities at the moment.

Back in OZ at the moment there are 4 people in hospital in intensive care,3 seriously ill.

From LEGIONNAIRES DISEASE,caused by bacteria from AC's in Kuta Bali.

Big investigation by OZ authorities at the moment.

Yeah i read that. Seriously if you become unwell it would seem exceptionally unlikely it is because of a foot massage. Unless it is from a reaction to a balm or oil that is used which would manifest itself in an irritation rather than an illness. Even if you have been to LOS before everytime you go there will be slightly different experiences or perhaps your immune system is at a different level. Bacteria in food or water/ice is more likely or as stated poorly maintained A/C. If you are exposed to fungus or mould and breathing in spores/bacteria may also be a candidate but foot massage..... Think not.

As stated plenty of "clean" water when in a hot humid climate is a must for wellbeing. Also staying out till all hours and drinking large amounts of alcohol will have a negative effect in your immune system and make you susceptible to a virus.

Most of the girls have a certificate from "What Poo".

I have many massages "Thai" while i stay in Thailand, and never had any problems. But it is still possible.

But maybe it also had something to do with the airplane. Sometimes it is very cold inside the airplane and you can become a cold from there.. i sugest next time you do a foot massage later (third day) and check if you have then problems on your fourth day.

I think I may have gotten sick from the A/C in my room too. So I am bringing a spray can of Lysol disinfectant next trip to spray into the A/C unit. This should also help the room smell better.

I do not think the filters are cleaned very often. If ever.

Of course it could have been the Pussy I ate.

Messages releasing "toxins" from the body is a myth. It's just one of the many things massage therapists tell gullible people so they feel better about handing there money over.

Messages feel good & leave you feeling relaxed, that's it.