Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Seems like I've gotten some sort of sleeping disorder

The Viking

Hey guys, just after some tips as some of you might have problems sleeping as well.

First off, I work shifts, so I sleep at very various times every week, not a bad thing in itself as it used to work fine. The last 6 months I've had bigger and bigger problems with getting my sleep. My doctor told me that it seems like I don't enter deep sleep, but just remain in a situation where I'm halfway asleep as I have problems falling into sleep (I've had that problem since I went to school, but never been a huge issue), but also waking up often and after short times of sleep.

This week I was supposed to work 2pm-10pm, and because of that I went to sleep at 1am the other day, and I woke up several times and finally couldn't fall to sleep after 5am. This has been going on for several weeks, so in the weekend I usually take a couple of the sleeping pills, which I hate so I can rest through the weekend. So, finally I had to go to the doctor again, and he told me that my body couldn't handle working shifts anymore and that I should find myself a day job. Problem is, I don't have any education, I studied 3 years to prepare for university and when I was finished I was so bored of school that I started work, this spiraled and I also bought an apartment that is the main issue for me now.

I can't really stop working shifts, as I will loose 30 % of my income. Luckily my workplace told me I could do office work until I leave for Pattaya the 24th. But, after that it's uncertain, I might be able to work 8-4 until April, but I also gotta prepare myself for a cut in income. That I can't do, because I don't want to sell my apartment. So, basically I'm looking for advices on how to get some sleep (my hope is that 3 weeks of holiday might fix it), does that night tea and stuff work? I guess I'm not the only one with these sorts of problems, so any advice is good advice.

Thanks

edit; my friend told me to start using medical marijuana, haha. Nothing like that here :P

Edited by Knudde

try eating about 30 mins before going to bed and a glass of brandy with honey. this seems to work for me i also do shifts work perm night shifts

try eating about 30 mins before going to bed and a glass of brandy with honey. this seems to work for me i also do shifts work perm night shifts

Brandy, is that booze? Also, I'm quite bad at the eating thing. Lately, I guess because of the lack of sleep I don't eat that much.

Funny thing is, when I work during the night, that's the time I get the best sleep and sleep enough. I'm trying to get them to allow me work nights only, but they are not really interested. After all I'm just a simple easy replaced monkey, but I'm very grateful of them trying to give me a chance at day only to fix my problems. It's good to know that even when most of the administration don't care about us, it's good to know that some of them do care and are our friends in addition to bosses.

Have had similar problems. Dr. here tried some things amitriptyline worked but dried mouth to much. Dr.

here did not want to give me xanax. Went hospital, Pattaya International, Dr. there gave me prescription.

After showing that to Dr. here he doesn't mind prescribing xanax here either.

Sounds to me, it's may be partly down to worry/dis-satisfaction with your job.

Don't want to sound like a hippy, but have you tried meditating/breathing exercises.

Turing off the TV/computer 2 hours before you go to bed may also help.

Also if you find yourselves worrying or beating yourself up over things, best thing for me is to just write them down, & try and disciplines yourself to only think about them when you have a clear head. Your brain can be your worse enemy sometimes :)

Might be worthwhile getting a new doctor as well. Telling you your body can't handle shift work anymore, is a conclusion not a diagnosis. Advising you change your job without giving a proper diagnosis is pretty terrible.

Sounds to me, it's may be partly down to worry/dis-satisfaction with your job.

Don't want to sound like a hippy, but have you tried meditating/breathing exercises.

Turing off the TV/computer 2 hours before you go to bed may also help.

Also if you find yourselves worrying or beating yourself up over things, best thing for me is to just write them down, & try and disciplines yourself to only think about them when you have a clear head. Your brain can be your worse enemy sometimes :)

Might be worthwhile getting a new doctor as well. Telling you your body can't handle shift work anymore, is a conclusion not a diagnosis. Advising you change your job without giving a proper diagnosis is pretty terrible.

Hehe, I like my job, so don't think it's about that.

It's not my normal doctor, it was after opening hours so I had to go to a sort of ER to get a few days sickleave!

I'll try that meditation thing, everything that can help will make me happy!

Anokanite: I don't even think we have Xanax here, but I'm no big fan of pills anyway :P

xanax will def do the trick, asleep in 20 mins

hot milk or ovaltine may do the trick?

• 2 weeks later...

Knudde, if you snore and are over weight it is possible you have sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is where you do not get sufficient oxygen when sleeping which keeps you from entering deep and restful sleep. You will be tired during the day and could fall asleep when driving or just sitting around. Not a good thing and the way to adequately test is to stay overnight at a clinic where they monitor your sleep conditions. People with apnea need to sleep with a mask and forced air stream which works but is not comfortable. However, beats the option of poor sleep. A good doctor should be able to tell you if this might be an issue for you and if so you should get checked out. There is a lot of info online and you can Google sleep apnea.

Common sense is not very common.

The worst thing you can do is think about getting to sleep so you need to get something else in your mind. Get into a routine before you go to sleep so your body knows what’s happening.

If you can’t sleep make a list of what is going through your mind. Perhaps they will help understand what the underlying problem is.

Aim to eat at least 1h before sleep and if possible 2h. Personally I wouldn’t drink alcohol before sleep if I couldn’t get to sleep – it’s a stimulant. Avoid caffeine (fizzy drinks, coffee, tea etc) for a good number of hours before you go to sleep for the same reason.

Take a look at the room where you sleep. Make sure the mattresses pillows etc are comfortable. The bedroom should be cool as well. Your body needs to cool down as you sleep in order to get proper sleep. If you are sweating at night then you are too hot. Lower the room temperature and/or less bedclothes.

I have one of those bed light alarm clocks that slowly illuminate to full brightness up to the alarm time. I find that I often wake up naturally with that before the alarm goes off. It’s especially useful in winter when it’s still dark outside. You can also set it to dim as you go to sleep. Something like that may help you fall asleep and wake up more naturally than an alarm clock going off. If you curtains let in light possibly get some blackout curtains and try one of these.

One person I know can only sleep without the radio on quietly – choose a station like BBC radio 4 which is predominantly talk and not music. I think it helps drown out background noise so you could try this especially if there is outside noise. The volume should be low enough that when you concentrate on it you can hear it but otherwise can’t make the conversation out.