IGNORED

Koh Chang to Phnom Penh

Derge

I'm going to be staying in Koh Chang in a few months and wanting to travel to Phnom Penh via land or boat doesn't really matter but am wondering if anyone here has done the journey before and if so do they have any tips in general + are there any good places worth stopping off to see?

I think boat isn't on, unless you can find one to take you to Sihanoukville (doubtful) and then bus to PP.

More likely you'll find one of the regular mini buses which drop off pick up on the mainland and get to the border at Had Lek.

Then it's either taxi onwards same day or waste a night in Koh Kong before bus next morning to PP.

It's a nice enough journey, but I wouldn't bother to stop off anywhere.

Thanks for the advice Edge

I travelled from Koh Chang to Phnom Penh late last year. You can find several package deals on Koh Chang, though I chose to put it together myself:

I took the #392 bus from Koh Chang to Trat, the price was 240 baht IIRC. At the bus station at Trat you will be accosted by touts wanting to take you to Hat Lek. Ignore them, they want 500+ bath. There is a minibus service to Hat Lek for 80 baht or so. You may have a bit of wait as I think it only leaves once there are enough passengers to fill it. I lucked out and we left immediately after I booked.

At the border crossing you will be scammed, with a visa cost of 1200 baht. This alone may make it worthwhile to try and find a package deal on Koh Chang that includes the cost of the visa (if possible). Once the visa and mandatory health check/scam (only 20 baht) are completed, you will need to find transportation to Koh Kong. Or rather it will find you immediately, grab a taxi or motorbike, 100-200 baht.

I spent the night at Koh Kong, there are several cheap guesthouses (mine was 6$ for a night). There is not much to see or do in Koh Kong. I asked my moto driver if he could take me to a bar where I could drink some beer, and he took me 5km outside of Koh Kong to what can best be described as countryside brothels. Scary shit, I cannot recommend it, and I quickly returned back to Koh Kong, and spent the evening drinking in a restaurant. Getting a bus ticket to Phnom Penh was no problem, but very overpriced. I ended up paying 15$ (about twice the rate). You may be able to buy it directly at the bus station in the morning and get a more reasonable rate.

Edited by tuktukdriver

I took the #392 bus from Koh Chang to Trat, the price was 240 baht IIRC. At the bus station at Trat you will be accosted by touts wanting to take you to Hat Lek. Ignore them, they want 500+ bath. There is a minibus service to Hat Lek for 80 baht or so.............................

Those same minibuses come from Pattaya and Bangkok and drop off at Koh Kong port if you can work it out how to intercept them.

At the border crossing you will be scammed, with a visa cost of 1200 baht. This alone may make it worthwhile to try and find a package deal on Koh Chang that includes the cost of the visa (if possible).

A package will still include 1200 Baht because that's what they charge at the border.

Get an e-visa for $25 / 750 Baht and save a page in your Passport.

Once the visa and mandatory health check/scam (only 20 baht) are completed, you will need to find transportation to Koh Kong. Or rather it will find you immediately, grab a taxi or motorbike, 100-200 baht.

I spent the night at Koh Kong, there are several cheap guesthouses (mine was 6$ for a night). There is not much to see or do in Koh Kong. I asked my moto driver if he could take me to a bar where I could drink some beer, and he took me 5km outside of Koh Kong to what can best be described as countryside brothels. Scary shit, I cannot recommend it, and I quickly returned back to Koh Kong, and spent the evening drinking in a restaurant. Getting a bus ticket to Phnom Penh was no problem, but very overpriced. I ended up paying 15$ (about twice the rate). You may be able to buy it directly at the bus station in the morning and get a more reasonable rate.

Sounds like you skimped on your room, got fleeced on your bus ticket and wasted about 20 hours of your life in Koh Kong when, for the same money you could have been in a shared taxi from the border and in Phnom Penh for tea and crumpet. :GoldenSmile1:

sounds like an adventures 2-day trip!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!