IGNORED

looking for Latin char Thai font

lavezzi

Hi, Im starting learning thai by myself and I'm looking for a font able to reproduce the phonetic accent and tones of thai. Im not looking for the thai font but just a latin font with all the accent and tones note.

Im studing from Thai for Beginners by Benjawan Poomsan.

I need for example the u char that seems striked trought like this: U

any tip?

Edited by lavezzi

Man is the only animal that can establish a friendly relationship with his victims

A quick Google on phonetic fonts turned up with a few downloads, might be worth a try. Personally I think that its less effort to actually just learn Thai script, I did learn a phonetics system first myself but that was before the days of PC's being common place. Good luck.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Hi, Im starting learning thai by myself and I'm looking for a font able to reproduce the phonetic accent and tones of thai. Im not looking for the thai font but just a latin font with all the accent and tones note.

Im studing from Thai for Beginners by Benjawan Poomsan.

I need for example the u char that seems striked trought like this: U

any tip?

You might not like my answer, but, there are no short cuts.

Phonetics can only get you so far... some sounds are not easily reproduced in a western alphabet, even with add ons.

To learn Thai effectively you need to hear it, or read it in Thai.

Western Alphabet has 26 letters, 5 of which vowels.

Thai alphabet has 44 normals, 32 vowels, 4 tone marks and 5 randoms.

Vowels can be 1,2,3 or 4 symbols.

When I first started to learn Thai, I tried doing the phonetics thing - then coming back to try out what I had written, I sometimes got it wrong, as some sounds simply cannot be done phonetically.

Good luck with your learning.

You might not like my answer, but, there are no short cuts.

Phonetics can only get you so far... some sounds are not easily reproduced in a western alphabet, even with add ons.

To learn Thai effectively you need to hear it, or read it in Thai.

Western Alphabet has 26 letters, 5 of which vowels.

Thai alphabet has 44 normals, 32 vowels, 4 tone marks and 5 randoms.

Vowels can be 1,2,3 or 4 symbols.

When I first started to learn Thai, I tried doing the phonetics thing - then coming back to try out what I had written, I sometimes got it wrong, as some sounds simply cannot be done phonetically.

Good luck with your learning.

Sorry maybe the title on my topic is wrong.

While I'll keep studying to read it I would also like build my own fast vocabulary without loosing the accents/tone.

For example the word "far" can be written "glai" while "near" as "glâi". I need to keep track of this accents but not all exists in my system font. So I need to find a way to rembeber that a special char has a specific font.

I could also build a font by myself.

In the image below I need to use that font (is not an image), so I think I just need the International Phonetic Alphabet font

font.jpg

Edited by lavezzi

Man is the only animal that can establish a friendly relationship with his victims

Sorry maybe the title on my topic is wrong.

While I'll keep studying to read it I would also like build my own fast vocabulary without loosing the accents/tone.

For example the word "far" can be written "glai" while "near" as "glâi". I need to keep track of this accents but not all exists in my system font. So I need to find a way to rembeber that a special char has a specific font.

I could also build a font by myself.

In the image below I need to use that font (is not an image), so I think I just need the International Phonetic Alphabet font

I think that we both understood what you meant as we've both been there before. I guess the short answer is no, I don't know where you can get the phonetic fonts and tone markers. However, the point we were both trying to make is that if you try learning the Thai script you could bypass having to use the phonetics system at all. It really isn't that hard to learn the alphabet although the word construction and rules take a bit longer. I still think that you wouldn't regret jumping directly to Thai script. Once you've learned that you can buy a keyboard with both Thai and English script in Thailand for a couple of hundred Baht. Just a suggestion.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I think that we both understood what you meant as we've both been there before. I guess the short answer is no, I don't know where you can get the phonetic fonts and tone markers. However, the point we were both trying to make is that if you try learning the Thai script you could bypass having to use the phonetics system at all. It really isn't that hard to learn the alphabet although the word construction and rules take a bit longer. I still think that you wouldn't regret jumping directly to Thai script. Once you've learned that you can buy a keyboard with both Thai and English script in Thailand for a couple of hundred Baht. Just a suggestion.

got it.

thanks