IGNORED

Where for sure is a slide ATM in pattaya?

Xylanic

Hey there...

So, my greatest fear is to lose my ATM card in Pattaya and have to deal with the horrors of getting it back, etc. I keep hearing there are slide ATM's where you do not give the machine your card but never found one.

Where, oh Where, is a slide ATM? I keep hearing tales of "I think one is here" etc, but need to know for sure.

If it helps, I'll be at the Pattaya Bay Resort again this time in two weeks. I no longer want to use an insert card ATM.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for the Night Wish group and The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.. I also run the weekly Newbie Wednesday meetup sessions at Sexy in the City on Soi 6. Sexy in the City is located across from Queen Victoria Inn. 

I never knew they existed. If you are worried, take the card and passport to the bank and withdraw the money.

the shopping malls such as carrefour and Central festival have ATM's from every bank.... if they exist you will find them here.

otherwise use an ATM at a bank during business hours, if it gets stuck they should be able to retrieve it. I know a guy that got his card stuck in an ATM at 7-11 and he got it back.

i have more than one card to avoid this problem.

If you use an ATM at a bank, go on a day when they are also open next day, sometimes you have to wait to get it back.

I always take at least 3 cards with me when travelling just in case.

As mentioned, I would bring a back-up. I had a machine in front of a Family Mart suck mine up a couple of years ago and if I hadn't had a back-up I would have been screwed.

When I called the bank and told them what their machine had done they wouldn't even discuss it with me. Just, "Sir you must order new card. Cannot help you."

I didn't really believe that, but that's what I was told.

Better still, just take your card + passport into the bank and avoid paying the 150B fee altogether.

Be scene and not herd.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you use an ATM outside of a bank while they are open you will be OK. I've seen a bank employee open the ATM machine for a customer before. But yeah also bring a backup, it's good if you have 2 bank accounts from home that you could use. There is also the chance that your bank will shut the card down.

Ditto to what the other guys are saying, never heard of a slide ATM. Sounds more like the swipe readers that they have at bank counters than an actual ATM.

I travel with cash, a prepaid travel card (with backup spare 2nd card), and my normal bank card. Never had a problem yet, but there's always a first time.. Be more concerned about the little brown machines that they have in all the bars, they won't steal your card but they're very good at extracting your cashbiggrin.gif.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Ditto to what the other guys are saying, never heard of a slide ATM. Sounds more like the swipe readers that they have at bank counters than an actual ATM.

I travel with cash, a prepaid travel card (with backup spare 2nd card), and my normal bank card. Never had a problem yet, but there's always a first time.. Be more concerned about the little brown machines that they have in all the bars, they won't steal your card but they're very good at extracting your cashbiggrin.gif.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Perthie

they certainly do have them everywhere in australia everywhere i think i have seen one in pattaya also but i cant remember where. iwould call it a swipe atm instead of slide but yes these atms are built so its impossible for the atm to take your card hostage.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone tell me what types of cards are accepted at ATMs in Thailand

I bring a backup ATM card. That said, the ATM card is a backup anyway. I bring Amex TC's in $500 denominations. Safe if lost or stolen and a better rate than cash. I think I'll open a local bank account next trip too.