IGNORED

Is 400,000bt enough to live in patts for 6 months?

nakmuay

Hey everyone, i got a question for anyone who has stayed in the LOS/pattaya for 6 months. The reason being is im going on ther 7th of jan this will be my 16th trip however it will be for 6 months longest ive stayed. now im going to take about 14,000 AUD which is about 400,000bt or so. ive got a friend who has organized me a nice condo abour 5,500bt a month so im not going to stay in luxery hotels if im going for that long. The way i want to live is like the thai live with still a little bit more freedom with money up my sleeve. But i would really apprciate anyone who knows if that amount would be enough to live on resonable grounds not going down to my last cent. I know that if i went crazy with the bar girls and going out everynight drinkning the $$$$ will go down quick fast, so i dont want to do that, only occasionally. So will it be enough?? i booked my one way ticket already anyway? :Grin_Jump1:. all comments welocme.

cheers

I would think about it this way. You have 400000 and will be paying 6 x 5500 for rent:

400000 -(6x5500) = 367000

Number of days in 6 months is 6 x 30 = 180. Here is how mush you will have to spend every day:

367000 / 180 = 2039

Out of that you will need to pay for electricity, water and food. Your budget will be under 2000 Baht a day. Do you think you can survive on that and have a good time? I couldn't but I know people who do but I suspect they are surviving and not having much fun. If I was you I would come with the plan of staying 6 months but be prepared to leave early once your money was spent.

Have you considered visa options? If you can get a non-immigrant type O visa.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

200B / day for food (street carts markets/ cheap thai restaurants )

500B/mth for internet probably 500B/mth for mobile phone.

maybe 2000B/mth for electric if you use aircon etc.

laundry 200B a throw

keep some spare money for hospitals or get insurance

I'm looking at doing the same thing myself.. This site is a wealth of info.

Check out barstool's thread 332 Days as a Pattaya Expat. He does it for 890B/day (does not include food or entertainment)

I figure about $100AUD/day and you will live quite comfortably.

Good Luck!

Edited by RAM8

single-mum.jpg

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

scum bag broke it down easily for you, im currently out here on a similair budget, but for a shorter period. 2000 a day does me ok, i have days where i spend less than 200 baht a day so when that money carries over to the next day i suddenly have around 3800 for that day, obviously its not enough to be trawling the gogos every night and barfining the girls, but i can certainly go out some nights round the beer bars, take a girl, feed her and myself all day and still have change in my pocket. everyone does it differently out here so you will be the best person to ask yourself, youve been here enough and say you like to live like a thai, by the sounds of it i think youll be ok. i have friends here on a similair budget and some on alot less. It can be done but does need some will power.

thanks for the replies! very helpfull, i was worring alot but at the same time i think i can do it. Im not going to go out evrynight and im going to try just get my one girl which i already have over there who is not a bar girl and works in a hotel. ill try get into a routine of going to sleep at a normal time and waking at a normal time and living resposibile. i have many thai friends that ive spoken to on the phone that said they will help me budget, (quite close to me) im going to do a 1 night stay in lous whhich i will go on a bus with other people, after the first month. im going with a visa company i trust which i used before which will cost 8,500bt but there will be thai staff on the bus that will take care of all the documentations i need for my 6 month visa. i just got back about 2 months ago and stayed for a month, and i lived like a king and i still brought back around 100,000bt. i would just enjoy most of the days sitting back and staying at my frinds shop just kicking back talking and relaxing and eating with them. Thats what i did last time and i found myself not spending anytihing at all for the day except for food. and then the odd time go get a bottle of leo beer and have drink with the locals. i wont be going out barfinng or going on shopping sprees. So i guess if i stick to that plan i can do it without struggling?

thanks for the replies! very helpfull, i was worring alot but at the same time i think i can do it. Im not going to go out evrynight and im going to try just get my one girl which i already have over there who is not a bar girl and works in a hotel. ill try get into a routine of going to sleep at a normal time and waking at a normal time and living resposibile. i have many thai friends that ive spoken to on the phone that said they will help me budget, (quite close to me) im going to do a 1 night stay in lous whhich i will go on a bus with other people, after the first month. im going with a visa company i trust which i used before which will cost 8,500bt but there will be thai staff on the bus that will take care of all the documentations i need for my 6 month visa. i just got back about 2 months ago and stayed for a month, and i lived like a king and i still brought back around 100,000bt. i would just enjoy most of the days sitting back and staying at my frinds shop just kicking back talking and relaxing and eating with them. Thats what i did last time and i found myself not spending anytihing at all for the day except for food. and then the odd time go get a bottle of leo beer and have drink with the locals. i wont be going out barfinng or going on shopping sprees. So i guess if i stick to that plan i can do it without struggling?

No doubt, but it's good to have 'emergency' cash.

My estimate for$100AUD/ day is for living like a king and enjoying trips away and the bar scene etc.

single-mum.jpg

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

I've heard of one French man living with less than 500 euros/month (+-20.000 bahts). He could earn 2.000 euros/month in Paris if he flights back to Europe.

And I know one couple living with less than 1000 euros/month (+-40.000 bahts), owning one house, one motorbike and one car. They don't go out often (between 2-5 times a month), they drink draught beer in gogo's and don't buy lady drinks.

So I think you can live there with a little money. But it depends on your way of life. I understand that some people are happier with 1000 euros in Pattaya than in a cold and over-taxed Europe. And living in Pattaya doesn't necessary mean going out every night.

Don't worry... you are in Thailand. Be happy.

Currently in Pattaya spending thousands of bahts.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="100" width="200" data="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_1.swf">'>http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_1.swf">

<param name="movie" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_1.swf" />

<param name="base" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/" />

<param name="flashvars" value="

&timer=1&

&time_template=3:ss;2:mm;1:hh;0:dd&

&time_color=0x000000&

&label_color=0x000000&

&background_color=0xFFFFFF&

&flare_view=true&

&time_label=d:DAY;h:HOUR;m:MIN;s:SEC&

&time_zone=(GMT +01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna&

&event_time=year:2011;month:4;day:12;hour:19;minute:55;seconds:0&

&event_duration=year:0;month:0;day:0;hour:0;minute:0;seconds:0&

&event_recursion=hourly&

&onpress_url=-&

&event_onpress_url=-&

&title=You know what ² : &

&event_title=event&

&sound_file=-&

&event_sound_file=-&

&transparent=true&

" />

<param name="quality" value="high" />

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

<param name="scale" value="noscale" />

<param name="salign" value="lt" />

</object>

Living here on 66k a month is not too bad! But it wont be a action packed holiday!

I've been here for five months of a six month visa so far. 60 days times three entries from Perth.

Monthly budget is 80,000 Bt, and has been pretty good.

In saying that I have my own place but have probably spent 15 grand on it a month, making it more comfortable.

I reckon you still need 80 grand a month, though. After all you didn't come to Pattaya to live like you're at home did you?

Plus there's things like unforseen medical expenses. I found myself seeing a chiropractor here for about two and a half months. Money well spent as the problem I had was not allowed to get in the way of my mongering.

One thing I have found which helps to tie a routine together (and keep you off the piss occasionally) is to join a gym.

You probably know that most of them here offer pretty good deals.

Does your visa require runs every two months? Mine does and I spent some extra having a look around Laos and, especially, Singapore (great place, if you go, stay in Geylangs)

Good Luck

"Remember, you've never lost the girl, only your turn"

I'ts not going to be an action packed fling your money out like a king holiday, which i have done many many times! gotta love it lol!

but with around 400,000bt for the 6 months im gonna give it a go i think its possibile and i will take care of my cash

i am also going to look at stying in patts and looking around for some jobs, so if i meet the right people you never know

i could find myself a job. (fingers crossed). im gonna bring all my savings ive resighed from job here in oz and have untill the 7th to get a couple more bucks in the back before i fly out. Look im gonna give it my all i love patts and no matter how many times ive been i still miss it so so much when i come back and im alot happier there then here. Not just the girls but the lifestyle food culturte e.t.c. Ive already booked my one way ticket and if all goes to shit i can come back home and look for another job. But wish me luck guys i could do with abit of support to get my motivation up and not go in to worry mode even before i get there.

thank you all!

ohh p.s the visa run is a one only bus run staying is lous for 1 nihgt and getting your 6 month visa stamped. so its only the one trip. (hope that answers your question john)

Edited by nakmuay

Nakmuay

Where did you get your visa from and what type is it?

"Remember, you've never lost the girl, only your turn"

Plenty of money. I reckon after 3 weeks you'll be bored and just go out partying 2-3 times a week and perhaps even pick up a regular girlfriend over there. I spend about 50k per week but that's on a 2 week binge staying in 35k p.c.m apartments etc. If I lived there would spend very little, you can eat amazing food for less than 100thb per day, drink on the beach (girls actually love it), and just barfine ST. You could easily live on 400,000 for 6 months and have change to spare... but again depends on your lifestyle.

For me personally I'd want a nicely kitted out duplex with plasma tvs, high end stereo, games console etc. Couldn't live in the same rooms BGs do. But could be reasonably cheap outside of that.

Nakmuay

Where did you get your visa from and what type is it?

Im gonna get my visa done with a place called key visa there just off soi diana

used the guy before his name is darren. im not sure what visa its called but i emailed him

couople days ago and he said they do a once of trip with thai staff commming with you on a

luxury bus to fill out all your paper work for a fee of 8,500bt. have a look online key visa pattaya.

And thanks jojo90 lol i wish i hada fully decked out SPAM WORD we all would, but i think a nice enought

condo with bathroom, shower, toliet nice enough bed with T.V should do me just fine. I think my girl

will have to probs with it. it hink i will be living a little different this time watching my money

but not that bad were im counting every penny i think i still willl be able to go out and have the odd

bingie night. But it just exicts me that im acually doingit! ive always dreamed of doing this. ive holidayd

in patts before for 2 weeks-3 weeks- 1 month 10 days you name it and ive gone crazy with cash dont you worry about that.

so know im gonna leave it allo behind here take my $15,000AUD and live in the country i love!!

You never never know unless you just pack up your stuff and go.

Im gonna get my visa done with a place called key visa there just off soi diana

used the guy before his name is darren. im not sure what visa its called but i emailed him

couople days ago and he said they do a once of trip with thai staff commming with you on a

luxury bus to fill out all your paper work for a fee of 8,500bt. have a look online key visa pattaya.

And thanks jojo90 lol i wish i hada fully decked out SPAM WORD we all would, but i think a nice enought

condo with bathroom, shower, toliet nice enough bed with T.V should do me just fine. I think my girl

will have to probs with it. it hink i will be living a little different this time watching my money

but not that bad were im counting every penny i think i still willl be able to go out and have the odd

bingie night. But it just exicts me that im acually doingit! ive always dreamed of doing this. ive holidayd

in patts before for 2 weeks-3 weeks- 1 month 10 days you name it and ive gone crazy with cash dont you worry about that.

so know im gonna leave it allo behind here take my $15,000AUD and live in the country i love!!

You never never know unless you just pack up your stuff and go.

What type of visa is this? I don't know of any visa that is available for Thailand in any country in Asia that will allow a 6 month stay. The only thing I can think of is a triple entry tourist visa (if available) but you would need to do 3 border runs to stay 6 months. IMO getting the multiple entry non-immigrant type O visa before you leave is the best and safest option. Coming to think of it what visa will you have when you first go? If you have no visa and are going there on a one way ticket the airline may refuse to let you board the plane.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

2,000 baht a day after room is plenty. You won't want to be shagging every night for six months. So if it's 4,000 every other day you can still have a good time. Just don't get too carried away with the lady drinks and go go girls.

I have now acutally made an ammindment to my visa, i went to the thai embassy here in melbourne Australia and thye are giving a free 2 month visa uopn arrivel, i filled out the form today and gave them my passport with to passport photos and the sexy thai lady working there said you can pick it up tommorow at the same tim eit will be ready. WOW that was a relief, becasue scumbag your right you wont be let into the country with a one way ticket, so cheers for pointing that out mate!

I might actually stay 2 months then do a border run and maybe stay another 2. so 4 months in total. I guess if im doing ok for cash ill try do the whole 6 months, but if not ill just live it up for a good 2-3 months. I guess ill see how i go.

I've heard of one French man living with less than 500 euros/month (+-20.000 bahts). He could earn 2.000 euros/month in Paris if he flights back to Europe.

And I know one couple living with less than 1000 euros/month (+-40.000 bahts), owning one house, one motorbike and one car. They don't go out often (between 2-5 times a month), they drink draught beer in gogo's and don't buy lady drinks.

So I think you can live there with a little money. But it depends on your way of life. I understand that some people are happier with 1000 euros in Pattaya than in a cold and over-taxed Europe. And living in Pattaya doesn't necessary mean going out every night.

Don't worry... you are in Thailand. Be happy.

With 20 K a month I would not call it a living, rather its some sort of survival.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now acutally made an ammindment to my visa, i went to the thai embassy here in melbourne Australia and thye are giving a free 2 month visa uopn arrivel, i filled out the form today and gave them my passport with to passport photos and the sexy thai lady working there said you can pick it up tommorow at the same tim eit will be ready. WOW that was a relief, becasue scumbag your right you wont be let into the country with a one way ticket, so cheers for pointing that out mate!

I might actually stay 2 months then do a border run and maybe stay another 2. so 4 months in total. I guess if im doing ok for cash ill try do the whole 6 months, but if not ill just live it up for a good 2-3 months. I guess ill see how i go.

Presumably you're here by now?

Scumbag helped you out there, but I think he was right you should have got a One Year Multi Entry.

You can extend your 60 day Tourist Visa by 30 days at Jomtien for 1900 Baht and then you must exit. You can get another 60 day TV at Phnom Penh or Vientianne.

Single Entry TVs are free until about March 11th. I don't know if that will be extended again.

Some have got Double and even Triples free.

The Visa you spoke of from Laos would probably be a Double Entry Tourist Visa, which some (eg BM Kessaya) have said they got from a Poipet, Cambodia trip for a fair bit less than 8500.

I understand you can stretch a Double Entry to 60+30+60+30 = c. 6 months with 2 extensions and 1 border run.

There are people who live here on 66,000 baht a month and some on less, so I guess it can be done.

Personally I spend 160,000 baht a month, sometimes more.

Some spend more than me and some spend less.

What I can say, is that I get more value per $ here, and I spend 3 times more in my home country than what I spend here.

So whatever your budget, Thailand might well be cheaper than your home country, and you have added benefits here.

Nakmuay,

What you have is a double entry tourist visa(you cant get a triple entry T V). Before the end of your 2nd month, you can visit Immigration

in Soi 5 Jomtien, and get a 30 day extension(costs about 1600Baht).I have done this previously.

At the end of 3 months(as stamped on your Passport at Jomtien) you will need to depart the "Kingdom" and this means FLY out....not a VISA RUN, to validate the SECOND ENTRY. The AMBIGUOUS thing is the duration of the second entry. Reason being, when you receive your Passport STAMPED..you have 90 days to Have Your 1st Entry Visa Started(also, you will need a COPY of Your RETURN PLANE Ticket). So you will lose days From the date stamped on your Visa....eg...you Collect Your Pasport on 30th Jan 2011...arrive Thailand 6th Feb...you lose 7days of total 120 days....it gets Tricky...so please Check with Your Thai Consulate in Melbourne thoroughly. I was told it is no problem to do the Jomtien extension on the Second entry(supposedly 2months...60days)...that way you have 2 lots of 90 days....ie..6months.

But please check this out carefully.

I sincerely hope you can enjoy 6months on the limited funds you will have. I am currently doing a similar thing....and it honestly isnt fun watching your money carefully on a daily basis.

I paid my rent up front, so only have Electricity, Water, TV and Internet to pay.

I have reserve money(...in case I go over budget). This is a trial run to see if I can live comfortably and enjoyably on limited funds.

I have a Thai GF, and we (I) are currently building a home for her(or her parents).

My experience is showing me...it is not easy, not fun like it used to be (so I overspend 2 times or more a week over budget to compensate for my decline in happiness).

I also Believe 1 million Baht for One Year or 2740 baht/day is still short. As other unexpected expenses arise. As well as expenses back home.

I also have the same contingency plan...if it gets too hard just spend up and leave earlier.

Just my humble experience.

Cheers

H888

Nakmuay,

What you have is a double entry tourist visa(you cant get a triple entry T V). Before the end of your 2nd month, you can visit Immigration

in Soi 5 Jomtien, and get a 30 day extension(costs about 1600Baht).I have done this previously.

At the end of 3 months(as stamped on your Passport at Jomtien) you will need to depart the "Kingdom" and this means FLY out....not a VISA RUN, to validate the SECOND ENTRY. The AMBIGUOUS thing is the duration of the second entry. Reason being, when you receive your Passport STAMPED..you have 90 days to Have Your 1st Entry Visa Started(also, you will need a COPY of Your RETURN PLANE Ticket). So you will lose days From the date stamped on your Visa....eg...you Collect Your Pasport on 30th Jan 2011...arrive Thailand 6th Feb...you lose 7days of total 120 days....it gets Tricky...so please Check with Your Thai Consulate in Melbourne thoroughly. I was told it is no problem to do the Jomtien extension on the Second entry(supposedly 2months...60days)...that way you have 2 lots of 90 days....ie..6months.

But please check this out carefully.

I sincerely hope you can enjoy 6months on the limited funds you will have. I am currently doing a similar thing....and it honestly isnt fun watching your money carefully on a daily basis.

I paid my rent up front, so only have Electricity, Water, TV and Internet to pay.

I have reserve money(...in case I go over budget). This is a trial run to see if I can live comfortably and enjoyably on limited funds.

I have a Thai GF, and we (I) are currently building a home for her(or her parents).

My experience is showing me...it is not easy, not fun like it used to be (so I overspend 2 times or more a week over budget to compensate for my decline in happiness).

I also Believe 1 million Baht for One Year or 2740 baht/day is still short. As other unexpected expenses arise. As well as expenses back home.

I also have the same contingency plan...if it gets too hard just spend up and leave earlier.

Just my humble experience.

Cheers

H888

totally wrong information i am afraid.

To take the second entry on a tourist visa you do NOT need to fly out. Just make a border run to Cambodia, leave in the morning and you are back to Pattaya in the afternoon. No reason to fly at all.

Sorry Nakmuay.

I misread your post. What you have is a Single Entry Tourist Visa.

Pity they didnt issue you a Double Entry TV.

Cant get a Triple Entry TV in Aus.

They are free...and that may be extended Beyond March 2011.

BTW...my "trial budget" is 60,000baht per month, having already prepaid accomodation for 6 months. Normally I spend around 180,000 per month, and I didnt really realize how easily the money went.

Cheers

H888

totally wrong information i am afraid.

To take the second entry on a tourist visa you do NOT need to fly out. Just make a border run to Cambodia, leave in the morning and you are back to Pattaya in the afternoon. No reason to fly at all.

Thanks for your summation. Could you kindly provide written Embassy Documentation to clarify your viewpoint. It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

H888