Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

TomTom Thailand

pm1982

Hi,

I need some tec-asistance, hopefully on of the thai expats can help.

I`m looking for a mobile Sat/NaV something like a TomTom. I want good cards on South East Asia ofcourse especially Thailand.

Mayby some of you have a recommendation, I would also be interested to have your comments on the reliability and accuracy.

On a sidenote, is anybody aware of POI-data on mongering? :D

p.s.: I forgot to mention, I know there is a Thai card set for TomTom available - I wanna know is it any good, if you are outside BKK

Edited by pm1982

Proud member of the -Heavydrinking Hardcore Mongers Union of Pattaya-

The last time I checked TomTom did not do a map for Thailand.

Garmin does and they seem to be the most popular here.

Al.

The last time I checked TomTom did not do a map for Thailand.

Garmin does and they seem to be the most popular here.

Al.

Al,

Do you know how detailed the Garmin is and how uptodate?

:001_Thank_You5:

p.s. TomTom annouced on their website Thailand support in 09 at least.

Tomtom do have a Thailand map which is pretty good. Garmin's Thailand map is excellent. If you have an iphone Tomtom also do a great Satnav application for Thailand. Nokias onboard Satnav maps are also great if you have one of their 'N' series phones.

I've used Satnavs extensively in Thailand, especially Garmin's. Another option might be to rent a Satnav from a car hire place. Also keep in mind that mobile phone Satnav solutions are getting much better these days. The GPS on the new Iphone 4 is as sensitive as latest generation stand alone Tomtoms or Garmins.

Let me know what hardware you intend to use and I might be able to help.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Tomtom do have a Thailand map which is pretty good. Garmin's Thailand map is excellent. If you have an iphone Tomtom also do a great Satnav application for Thailand. Nokias onboard Satnav maps are also great if you have one of their 'N' series phones.

I've used Satnavs extensively in Thailand, especially Garmin's. Another option might be to rent a Satnav from a car hire place. Also keep in mind that mobile phone Satnav solutions are getting much better these days. The GPS on the new Iphone 4 is as sensitive as latest generation stand alone Tomtoms or Garmins.

Let me know what hardware you intend to use and I might be able to help.

I just crushed my old Sat/Nav, looking for a new one I thought it would be cool if I also could get LOS on it. I`m looking at a these possibilities now:

a. Navigon 70plus (stand-alone)

b. TomTom for WindowsMobile and Bluetooth-GPS on my old Mobile

c. a new Samsung i9000 Smartphone with inbuild Sat/nav

So I will look at everybodies recommendations for LOS and see how it mixes with my "back-home"-requirements.

If you want a stand-alone solution I would go for a Garmin. The Garmin maps are probably the best overall for Thailand, it's also easier to install new maps into them (If you need help obtaining the latest Thailand map then contact me). I don't know if Navigon do a Thailand map and if they do I have no experience with it.

If money is no object then the Garmin 3790T is a great unit. To be honest, seeing as Thailand has no live TMC or connected traffic information available ATM then one of their cheaper models will do fine. If you need the TMC/connected traffic info while using the unit at home then I'd look at a Garmin 1695 or 1490 if FM delivered TMC traffic info is good enough.

I've only used Nokias and Iphone for navigation but I can say that the Iphone 4/Tomtom combination is brilliant with a more sensitive GPS chip and faster route calculations than top of the range stand alone units. The real time traffic info is also great (not available in Thailand).

If you want a stand-alone solution I would go for a Garmin. The Garmin maps are probably the best overall for Thailand, it's also easier to install new maps into them (If you need help obtaining the latest Thailand map then contact me). I don't know if Navigon do a Thailand map and if they do I have no experience with it.

If money is no object then the Garmin 3790T is a great unit. To be honest, seeing as Thailand has no live TMC or connected traffic information available ATM then one of their cheaper models will do fine. If you need the TMC/connected traffic info while using the unit at home then I'd look at a Garmin 1695 or 1490 if FM delivered TMC traffic info is good enough.

I've only used Nokias and Iphone for navigation but I can say that the Iphone 4/Tomtom combination is brilliant with a more sensitive GPS chip and faster route calculations than top of the range stand alone units. The real time traffic info is also great (not available in Thailand).

:001_Thank_You5:

Thank you for the detailed help, I think I will take a good look at the different garmins. I will update the thread when I`ve decided on one, maybe incl. some pics of navi in LOS. Thanks for the card offer.

p.s. I allowed myself to send you some rep. :D

Edited by pm1982

OP - The latest garmin maps are all over the internet if you look, I think 10.1 is the latest for Thailand. It even has the latest lane assist technology if you get a garmin which supports it.

As far as I know you can use the maps in just about any garmin that supports sd/micro sd card. You can get yourself a cheap nuvi in your own country and just stick in a SD card with the thai maps. Its very simple. I even managed to get the maps to work on my garmin software for Windows mobile with all of the POI's. Can be handy if you are walking about and not sure where the hell you are.

OP - The latest garmin maps are all over the internet if you look, I think 10.1 is the latest for Thailand. It even has the latest lane assist technology if you get a garmin which supports it.

Version 11 is the latest and can be found here after you've joined