IGNORED

Thailand Cough

Hound

Last two times I went to Pattaya, I got this cough. I felt like I was getting a cold. The first trip was 10 days and it cleared up a couple of weeks after I got back to the US. The second time I was there for 2 months and had the cough for 6 weeks.

I went to the clinic twice and the hospital twice. I got three courses of antibiotics and one shot in the ass. Doctor said it was bronchitis. Had a fever off and on and would wake up in the night covered with sweat. A couple of days before I left I had fever and felt really bad. The last course of antibiotics and the 4 or 5 other pills they gave me finally cleared up the fever part.

I met several guys there who described the same symptoms. A cough, unusually tired, etc. I attributed it to the polluted air and allergies that caused the bronchitis.

Have you had a similar experience? What do you think caused it?

I am concerned because after two months in the US, I still have some sinus stuff going on. I don't want to get the same thing next trip to LOS.

Hound

Big John

Got bronchitis on my first trip, ended up with a bag full of drugs from the hospital, personally I blamed the AC unit.

If it is not cleaned properly, all sorts of nasties can accumulate in them.

A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having fun.

We moved to Pattaya from BKK 7 months ago. Within 2 weeks the whole family was diagnosed with chronic bhronchitis. It was scary to see a 3 year old with this believe me although for me it was just an irritation.

I had NO idea it was commonplace here - this has opened my eyes to that fact.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

i have come back with a dose of conjunctivitis that took 3 weeks to clear up, a dose of crotch rot which took a week to clear.

a dose of something nastier that took a week to get over (after a condom split), and the mysterious cough you describe!! so there's definately something out there, my guess it is the dodgy cigs that i smoke whilst I'm there that gives me my cough, not as serious as the symptoms you describe.

I have heard of this flu like condition called "dengue fever"(spelling?) which has similar symptoms like you have had, it is getting very prevalent in Patts and I have had friends go down with similar symptoms, they reckon a really bad dose can knock you for six and send you to bed for a week, completely dibilitating you!! thats scary.

sometimes mosquito bites can give malaria like symptoms, or dodgy beer also, also food not cooked properly can give you that...

hang on, thats nearly everything related to Patts.......... sod it, you're better off just staying at home.

Five years ago I took a one month vacation to Thailand (Bangkok and Pattaya) and was sicker than hell for three of the four weeks. I don't know what I had, but it took forever to go away.

More recently, I moved to Thailand last November, and by the middle of December I was coughing like crazy. I tried just about every kind of antibiotic I could think of, but nothing seemed to work. By the third week of January or so I went to Phuket and started to feel better, but then after a week or two came down with another cough/cold which took another three weeks to go away. I came back to Pattaya in April and again developed a terrible cough and cold. I again tried different medications, but the thing took six weeks to go away. I went to the doctor, but he just gave me some vitamin C tablets and some cough pills. I've been OK for the last few months.

It's funny, though. In the USA I could go several years without catching a cold or having a cough. Must be something in the air in Thailand. Or, maybe it's just all the strange germs from all over the world.

Rex

• 4 weeks later...

The spelling is correct tomski808.

Details here...

Mayo Clinic

Thailand has had a particularly nasty outbreak this year. They went so far as to go through a major mosquito erradication program in the last couple of months. I plan to get immunized for Yellow Fever before heading over.

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

I've always put it down to crappy A/C units and the fumes from those Baht buses. I swear some of them must be burnin' coal to produce exhaust clouds like that !

Maybe thats why I'm sick now?

My firt 2 trips I was fine, I spent them in Bkk and a few days in patts and a trip to Cha am. Last trip spent a month in patts, 2nd week in just after coming back from Koh Samet, got a lovely 3 day cold where the second day was the worst. Didnt stay in though went about my buisness. Im sure if I had stayed in and rested would have been quick. I blame it on the ac unit in my room in Samet. There were no fans which I prefer to sleep with on. Just got some cold tablets, and some nasel spray.

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it?

A death. What's that, a bonus ? I think the life cycle is all backwards.

You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work.

You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities.

You become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating... you finish off as an orgasm.

It's perfect !

Yeah i have had the infamous 'Thai cough'. I really do believe its caused to over exposure to AC units, as i have the thing on most of the night when im asleep. Have had a couple of doses of the clap too. I always go to the clinic for an MOT after any trip to LOS.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

I , too, have had this and most recently after a 4 week trip had a sore throat and swollen Lymph glands that took almost 6 weeks to clear up with antibiotics. The premise that it is caused by air conditioning may be somewhat correct, but having resided in Florida USA for many years where the a/c runs 365 days a year also, I would more theorize that it is caused by dirty air conditioner filters. Especially in low and mid range hotels, I wonder how often they get cleaned and serviced?

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

as some mentioned, i think its the AC unit, blowing cold air into your lungs. and the humid climate i think adds to it also

Well mine is confirmed to be Bronchitis, and a bitch it is too, because I have the girlies knocking my door down now that I'm back from LOS.

maybe you got asia flu:P

"Do you suck dick?" "No sir" "Bullshit, i'll bet you could suck a golfball trough a garden hose"

Last two times I went to Pattaya, I got this cough. I felt like I was getting a cold. The first trip was 10 days and it cleared up a couple of weeks after I got back to the US. The second time I was there for 2 months and had the cough for 6 weeks. I went to the clinic twice and the hospital twice. I got three courses of antibiotics and one shot in the ass. Doctor said it was bronchitis. Had a fever off and on and would wake up in the night covered with sweat. A couple of days before I left I had fever and felt really bad. The last course of antibiotics and the 4 or 5 other pills they gave me finally cleared up the fever part. I met several guys there who described the same symptoms. A cough, unusually tired, etc. I attributed it to the polluted air and allergies that caused the bronchitis. Have you had a similar experience? What do you think caused it?I am concerned because after two months in the US, I still have some sinus stuff going on. I don't want to get the same thing next trip to LOS.Hound
Had same shit last jan just cant shake it properly,had every test under the sun but no joy,started with sore throat ,any tips guys
Last two times I went to Pattaya, I got this cough. I felt like I was getting a cold. The first trip was 10 days and it cleared up a couple of weeks after I got back to the US. The second time I was there for 2 months and had the cough for 6 weeks. I went to the clinic twice and the hospital twice. I got three courses of antibiotics and one shot in the ass. Doctor said it was bronchitis. Had a fever off and on and would wake up in the night covered with sweat. A couple of days before I left I had fever and felt really bad. The last course of antibiotics and the 4 or 5 other pills they gave me finally cleared up the fever part. I met several guys there who described the same symptoms. A cough, unusually tired, etc. I attributed it to the polluted air and allergies that caused the bronchitis. Have you had a similar experience? What do you think caused it?I am concerned because after two months in the US, I still have some sinus stuff going on. I don't want to get the same thing next trip to LOS.Hound
Had same shit last jan just cant shake it properly,had every test under the sun but no joy,started with sore throat ,any tips guys

Had same shit last jan just cant shake it properly,had every test under the sun but no joy,started with sore throat ,any tips guysHad same shit last jan just cant shake it properly,had every test under the sun but no joy,started with sore throat ,any tips guys

Never had anything worse than bad hangovers and sore throats from too many cigs but i did get a nasty ear infection after someone blasted me in the ear with one of those water canons at Songkran.

It's a communicable respiratory infection which can be combatted with anti-biotics like Augmentin, usually.

Almost all Pattaya BGs kiss between 1-10 falang every day, and almost all Pattaya falang kiss between 1-10 BG every day, so there is a constant cycle of re-infection of the whole population

Lat time I had a girl whose hack was so bad that I took her off to the pharmacy for drugs & cough mixture

I always take a 7 day course of anti-biotics after a Pattaya visit anyway

It don't stop me kissing them though...

• 2 weeks later...

Never gave it much though before but I seem to get this cough every time I go to Patters...

Last two times I went to Pattaya, I got this cough. I felt like I was getting a cold. The first trip was 10 days and it cleared up a couple of weeks after I got back to the US. The second time I was there for 2 months and had the cough for 6 weeks.

I went to the clinic twice and the hospital twice. I got three courses of antibiotics and one shot in the ass. Doctor said it was bronchitis. Had a fever off and on and would wake up in the night covered with sweat. A couple of days before I left I had fever and felt really bad. The last course of antibiotics and the 4 or 5 other pills they gave me finally cleared up the fever part.

I met several guys there who described the same symptoms. A cough, unusually tired, etc. I attributed it to the polluted air and allergies that caused the bronchitis.

Have you had a similar experience? What do you think caused it?

I am concerned because after two months in the US, I still have some sinus stuff going on. I don't want to get the same thing next trip to LOS.

Hound

Travelled in work, 1st time Patpong, a girl got me to barfine her and took me back to hotel Montien for the usual.

I was coughing on the plane all the way back home, a colleague read the HIV Brochure on the plan out loud to me. I coughed for 6 weeks, wife and son for 2 more months. This is 15 years ago and tested HIV negative last year (had to take test to get a visa to some obscure country)

spent a month in LOS travelling all over. Bf a heap of girls on this trip. Halfway on the plane on the way back to perth I got a kick ass fever and dizzy spells.

Night sweats for a couple of weeks persed and the glands in my neck hurt like a bitch. AIDS for sure I thought, putting myself into a panick.

lost a shit load of weight and then got better. 2 std tests later and nothing..

strange viruses lurk in LOS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

two good tricks to avoid the AC scenario, 1.turn ac on full all day, then off at night, leave fan on, room will get warm but usually not too hot. Also go to an auto a/c centre before you leave home and buy a few a/c aerosols. these are sprayed into car systems by simply letting them off in the car with the a/c on. they clean the a/c system of bacteria. a/c systems ave water trays which in LOS are rarely if ever cleaned, bacteria grows in them. the sparays will help, but only if u r staying in only one hotel and each room has independant a/c.

Best thing is probably ask your doc and I am not a doc, I believe that this has to do with two things.

1. There are two types of coughs you get in Thailand, the first type I experienced in Bangkok. I think it is extremely highly unlikely for you to experience this same type anywhere else in Thailand. I believe that this is due to the high concentration of pollution in Bangkok. I do not smoke, yet after my first trip and once in awhile after subsequent trips I developed this strange dry, smoker's type cough. Of course my lungs were just not used to all that stuff in the air. If you smoke I guess you probably would never experience this same issue. I now got a inhaler prescribed by my doctor to open my bronchials should this happen again.

2. I developed a cough which turned in to a wonderful chest infection right before going home. I believe this is cause by high tourist concentrated areas, mostly in places like Pattaya. There is a lot of traffic going through all types of places to stay much more than some areas of Thailand and I highly doubt many hotel/lodge owners clean their AC's on a regular basis. What I do now may be just a paranoid fixation but when going to Bangkok or Pattaya usually the first thing I do when I arrive in my new hotel room is take the filters out of the air conditioner and run them under water to clean them out, not that difficult to do, just make sure you are doing them the right way with the direction of the air flow and not opposite.