Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Speaking Thai?

Can anyone give me some advice on what are the best program, software, and tape? To buy (or any free sites with downloads would be great) for learning to speak Thai, this mite have been said before but, I have been looking though the form for help but most of the links have been removed, what’s the best way? I no some off you can speak Thai how did you learn and before you say, there’s no way I can move there, il be there 5 week just after xmas thought.

All advice appreciated cheers

Darren

à¸à¸±à¸šà¸™à¸²à¸—ีอันà¹à¸ªà¸™à¸¢à¸´à¹ˆà¸‡à¹ƒà¸«à¸à¹ˆ

There are lots of downloads available on this site, just do a search and you will find them.

I have been learning Thai for about 5 years on and off, I have an advantage now though, I live with 3 Thai girls!

You lucky sod! If you ever need a lodger I am your man!

Thanks for the fast reply Panudate, IL take I look now.

i bought two CD programs Pimsleurs was the best and came with a book I also had someone tutor me once a week for a few weeks that is where I learned the most plus on my travels to Thailand I picked up quite a bit

I speak to my TGF about once a week and we now communicate more in thai it helsp if you can speak other languages

Hope that helps

I have used some websites and copied the english translations of what I want to say

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

Winston Churchill

• 4 weeks later...

I have done a few Thai courses. The first one was by linguaphone. It took about 3 month to complete, 4 tapes with 2 books (3 if you wanted to learn to read and write Thai script). An American Foreign Service Institute Course, and an AUA course.

My favourite was without a doubt the Linguaphone one. It takes a while to get used to using the books and tapes together but after a few lessons (there are 40 in total) it is real fun. Actually got quite into the main characters used for the dialogues. Tom, a businessman and Ooy, his secretary. Lots of subtle humour in this course. The FSI course was very drill orientated. Probably dated from the 1950s but to its credit it taught a very pure form of Thai, totally devoid of all the westernisms that have crept into modern Thai.

The AUA course was very thorough but lacked the warmth of the Linguaphone one.

In conclusion, I would search out the Linguaphone course. I still have a copy of it. I also have a copy of the Plimsleur course which is just CD based. If I can help in any way let me know. Regards, Karl.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I have done a few Thai courses. The first one was by linguaphone. It took about 3 month to complete, 4 tapes with 2 books (3 if you wanted to learn to read and write Thai script). An American Foreign Service Institute Course, and an AUA course.

My favourite was without a doubt the Linguaphone one. It takes a while to get used to using the books and tapes together but after a few lessons (there are 40 in total) it is real fun. Actually got quite into the main characters used for the dialogues. Tom, a businessman and Ooy, his secretary. Lots of subtle humour in this course. The FSI course was very drill orientated. Probably dated from the 1950s but to its credit it taught a very pure form of Thai, totally devoid of all the westernisms that have crept into modern Thai.

The AUA course was very thorough but lacked the warmth of the Linguaphone one.

In conclusion, I would search out the Linguaphone course. I still have a copy of it. I also have a copy of the Plimsleur course which is just CD based. If I can help in any way let me know. Regards, Karl.

I might be interested panyaa. Why don't you come along to the meet next month in London?

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

I might be interested panyaa. Why don't you come along to the meet next month in London?

I know nothing about the London meet next month. Where will I find the details? Is there any way of exchanging private messages on this forum? Karl.

I know nothing about the London meet next month. Where will I find the details? Is there any way of exchanging private messages on this forum? Karl.

Look in the Whats going on section, under Addicts London meet up. And of course you can send private messages to any member. Click on their username and then click on send message. I'll pm you now.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

Thank you all for your help,

Regards Darren

In my opinion, the best way to learn to speak Thai is with the help of a qualified Thai teacher, who will be able to tell you the correct tone for a particular word.

Also, learning to read Thai even if it is at a painfully slow pace (as in my case :rolleyes: ) will help enormously as it will force you to understand why certain words have the tone they do.

Alan

• 2 months later...

I initially was using the lonley plannet handbook, which is great for travelling as you can just slip it into your pocket. It acts as a good reference guide with a thai-english and english-thai dictionary at the back of the book. It also is sorted into logical sections - tools, practical, social, food and safe-travel. These sections are colour coded to make it quick and easy to navigate through (it has a colour key on the back of the book).

I've also recently purchased a book called "Colliquial Thai". I know a few people who have this book and have only heard good reviews from them. You can purchase it with the tapes/CDs, which is roughly $100 Australian. Or you can purchase the book only, which is about $60-$70. I've only really had chance to flick through this and read unit 1 (of 15 units). So far I've been impressed with it. It uses a series of dialogues in each unit to introduce key words. These dialogues are also spoken on the tapes/CDs. It then goes on to describe/define the key words as well as providing you with a set of exercises of which you can check the answers to at the back of the book. It's not pocket size, so it's probably not the best for those who need a book whilst travelling through Thailand, but I think its great for understanding the Thai grammar.

If anyone can recommend some other decent books/tapes/CDs/software it would be appreciated!

I am currently learning Thai through the Pimsleur's tape method. It has 30 lessons, each lasting about 30 minutes. So far so good, if you have made a genuine effort in Thailand to learn a few phrases then the first few lessons will not teach you anything new to be honest, but will give a good introductory point for the course to begin. I also sometimes refer back to a brilliant Thai phrase book if I am unsure and need to view in transliteration format. This book was bought from a shop opposite Pig and Whistle on Soi 7, only 195 baht would recommend it to anyone. By the way, I DOWNLOADED THE TAPES FREE FROM ANOTHER THREAD IN THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panyaa is correct..the linguaphone course is one of the best if not the best. I bought it on ebay in tape format..it was considerably cheaper than the CD format and linguaphone were offloading it thru ebay presumably to clear out there backstock.

You can buy the CD version for about £200 or you can get an audio only PDQ version for about £20 - a couple of people are selling on ebay at the moment slightly cheaper than linguaphone.

Guess it depends on how much you wanna learn..PDQ would be a good start for a newbie visitor to Thailand but the full version which makes you learn how to read/write Thai is the only one to teach you in the proper way.

• 1 month later...

I too need to learn more.I've been here 2 years and am still shit,I have the linguaphone cd set so need to get my arse in gear.My biggest problem is finding the time and lessons are too expensive for me.

I too need to learn more.I've been here 2 years and am still shit,I have the linguaphone cd set so need to get my arse in gear.My biggest problem is finding the time and lessons are too expensive for me.

In another post I highly recommended the Linguaphone course. The only thing is I bought mine in the late eighties (books and tapes) and I am starting to suspect that the new CD Linguaphone course is not the same as the one I was referring too.

Could you tell me, is the CD course 40 lessons based around an English business man called Tom? If not then it is not the original Linguaphone course that I was referring too. Talk about confusing.

It is hard to get motivated to start those courses. I think that you will find that if you can get past the first 4 or 5 lessons you will get into it. Of course once you start speaking to Thais in their own language it is a massive boost to both your enthusiasm and confidence.

While I was learning Thai I found that the best advice I was given was to not do more than 30 minutes a day, even if you are enjoying it and want to carry on. Any more than this and you might have problems remembering what you have learned. Good luck.

A couple of excellent cousres which haven't had a mention yet..

Rosetta Stone is famous for their language courses.

Do a search on Google for 'rosetta stone torrent' and you can download it for free.

There's also a set of three tiltes and CDs from Paiboon Publishing written by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. Thai for Beginners/Intermediate/Advanced.

Haven't looked for these on the internet but can bought them for around 1200B. Available from Amazon.

There are loads of resources available either free or inexpensive. It's just a csae of trying them out and finding the ones which suit your learning style and makes you want to continue getting immersed it it. There's nothing worse than feeling like you've gone back to high school to drudge through a subject which is a drag.